Bit of a slap in the face

SallyEFT

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey guys well quick recap of my story Diagnosed type 2 in May 2014 and after three months had HbcA1 of 35 and since then it has come down more okay here lies the slap in the face today.
Due to having a bone condition I asked my nurse if I could see a dietician and I now do.
Last week I went to see the diabetic nurse for my latest results and they are has follows
My HbcA1 is 32
My cholestrol was at last test 3.8 it is now4.2 but she said that she was overjoyed with this has my good cholestrol had risen so that was fine .
Everything else was good the only issue was some protein in my water ???

Okay since diagnosis I have lost over 4 stone in waight I am on a next to no carbs
Now I know my diet at the moment is not great but for months I have had no taste buds so to be honest I have very little interest in food I hope you will be able to understand that .
My diet is not bad though I eat chicken , veg , berries, ryvitta , meats , yogurt, cheese, fish.
Anyway she told me she was very happy with me and will see me in six months and I do not need treatment ( I have no treatment this is diet alone )

Well today I saw the dietician who asked me to keep a food chart and I did i saw him in December and when he waighed me I had only lost half kg he was bloody horrible and I have left feeling a failure he said that I will not be able to survive on what I am eating because of the lack of carbs and the diet I am following is the total opposite to what they set out he said you need carbs at every meal.
He said he can't understand why my waight loss has slowed down to this I said to him well I wouldn't call a total waight loss of 4 stone slowing down and I have been off my feet due to my bone condition since Xmas.
He says that the HbcA1 of 32 is unrealistic and I won't be able to maintain it and once I start to eat normal again it will mean I need treatment.
You know what I have fought so hard with this diabetes because I already have a bone conduion and other stuff going on I don't want another.
When I left the nurse I was pretty chuffed at my efforts but now I just want to cry.
I know I am not eating enough but that is down to having no taste something the Drs are doing nothing about to find the root cause so eating is a thing I do because I have to but that said if you look at my diet it's not that bad.
The only thing I have noticed is I am very constipated but to that he just laughed and said well what do you expect.
Talk about bringing me down to earth don't know what to think now.
Was supposed to be going out for a meal and a glass or two of wine with my Son tonight for his birthday and I was going to let myself have a night off but now I just feel like someone slapped me xx
Sorry I needed o rant at you guys xxx

SallyEFT

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you're doing brilliantly. Some of the attitudes in the NHS around nutrition are very out of date and they often hold the party line. I go to a lot of conferences on obesity, weightloss and diabetes and all of the experts say the guidance is poor but the NHS is a huge machine and it takes a long time to stop and take on new and radical ways. Keep doing what you are doing and try not to take on board the negative stuff.

Reactions: 2 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey guys well quick recap of my story Diagnosed type 2 in May 2014 and after three months had HbcA1 of 35 and since then it has come down more okay here lies the slap in the face today.
Due to having a bone condition I asked my nurse if I could see a dietician and I now do.
Last week I went to see the diabetic nurse for my latest results and they are has follows
My HbcA1 is 32
My cholestrol was at last test 3.8 it is now4.2 but she said that she was overjoyed with this has my good cholestrol had risen so that was fine .

Okay since diagnosis I have lost over 4 stone in waight I am on a next to no carbs
Now I know my diet at the moment is not great but for months I have had no taste buds so to be honest I have very little interest in food I hope you will be able to understand that .
My diet is not bad though I eat chicken , veg , berries, ryvitta , meats , yogurt, cheese, fish.
Anyway she told me she was very happy with me and will see me in six months and I do not need treatment ( I have no treatment this is diet alone )

Well today I saw the dietician who asked me to keep a food chart and I did i saw him in December and when he waighed me I had only lost half kg he was bloody horrible and I have left feeling a failure he said that I will not be able to survive on what I am eating because of the lack of carbs and the diet I am following is the total opposite to what they set out he said you need carbs at every meal.
He said he can't understand why my waight loss has slowed down to this I said to him well I wouldn't call a total waight loss of 4 stone slowing down and I have been off my feet due to my bone condition since Xmas.
He says that the HbcA1 of 32 is unrealistic and I won't be able to maintain it and once I start to eat normal again it will mean I need treatment.
You know what I have fought so hard with this diabetes because I already have a bone conduion and other stuff going on I don't want another.
When I left the nurse I was pretty chuffed at my efforts but now I just want to cry.
I know I am not eating enough but that is down to having no taste something the Drs are doing nothing about to find the root cause so eating is a thing I do because I have to but that said if you look at my diet it's not that bad.
The only thing I have noticed is I am very constipated but to that he just laughed and said well what do you expect.
Was supposed to be going out for a meal and a glass or two of wine with my Son tonight for his birthday and I was going to let myself have a night off but now I just feel like someone slapped me xx

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HbcA1 is 32

Hi Sharon Anne, I have only just read this and I am appalled that someone has the nerve to call themselves a professional whilst dishing out bad advice and upsetting someone who has done so well despite having a very tough time healthwise. Personally I would love to visit this dietician to see if he could make me feel like crying, but that`s probably because I`m a stroppy bu**er who loves an argument with authority (according to my missus anyway!). Just tell him to do one and stop worrying about his ill considered comments, they only serve to highlight his failings, not yours.

S

Sharon Anne

Hi Sharon Anne, I have only just read this and I am appalled that someone has the nerve to call themselves a professional whilst dishing out bad advice and upsetting someone who has done so well despite having a very tough time healthwise. Personally I would love to visit this dietician to see if he could make me feel like crying, but that`s probably because I`m a stroppy bu**er who loves an argument with authority (according to my missus anyway!). Just tell him to do one and stop worrying about his ill considered comments, they only serve to highlight his failings, not yours.

S

Sharon Anne

Thank you so much Hun x I won't be going back to him , feel silly that I let someone make me feel like that because that's not like me x