Curious

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm a newly diagnosed T1 diabetic. I'm on mixed insulin and managing well, but would love to know what others, that are on a basal/bolus regime and also LCHF , manage to achieve with their bg levels. I'd be interested to see the fasting results and the post prandial figures in comparison to what I'm achieving . I guess they'll probably be better. It would help me to make the decision to switch to basal/bolus if and when I might be asked. I can't switch to LCHF at the moment as my cholesterol level is too high and I'm not on statins.

Thank you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Basal/bolus gives you more flexibility around mealtimes than twice daily mixed insulin, so you can skip meals when you want to and eat the level of carbs that best suits your own dietary needs.

I'm on a pump now but on MDI my bg target were 5 - 9 mmol, so no more than 9 postprandial and no less than 5 pre-prandial. I don't follow a LCHF diet and eat carbs in moderation, on average around 170-180g a day.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Basal/bolus gives you more flexibility around mealtimes than twice daily mixed insulin, so you can skip meals when you want to and eat the level of carbs that best suits your own dietary needs.

I'm on a pump now but on MDI my bg target were 5 - 9 mmol, so no more than 9 postprandial and no less than 5 pre-prandial. I don't follow a LCHF diet and eat carbs in moderation, on average around 170-180g a day.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thank you for that. My readings like yours, are between 5-9 mmol with the odd blip of 10 - very rarely. I consume about 190g of carbs per day. It seems that my mixed insulin regime is working well. I'm happy to have fixed mealtimes, so as they say "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I think I'll stay on mixed for the forseeable future, unless things change, as I seems to me that I'm achieving good results. What a happy relief.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Absolutely right June, if it ain't broke.............

Reactions: 2 people