Looking for advice

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm on the forum because my daughter is T1 and very soon we are going on a carb counting course.

The advice I'm looking for is about eating lchf. I've read a lot about it here in the forum and lots in other places too. I would very much like to start this ( as could do with losing a good couple of stone ) but also because I think it will be easier for my lg if she sees mummy eating this way and setting a good example. However I'm unsure whether it's only suitable for people who have diabetes? And I have no clue how many carbs I should have a day etc? Or what the best way to make a start?

Hopefully some of you lovely members could give me a few guide lines :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BekkiG74, I'm newer to this than you because I didn't know about the LCHF diet until a little more than 3 weeks ago. I'm feeling increasingly comfortable with the diet and do see myself as maintaining it for life. Today is day 22, yet I'm still trying to figure out the nuances of the diet. For example, figuring out my daily salt intake and whether I should have salt once or twice a day has been a bit of a challenge, but I'm trying something new today, so hope to have this sorted out soon.

My husband who is overweight but has never had his blood glucose checked decided to join me on the diet yesterday. I'm a bit nervous about this because I don't feel I know enough yet to appropriately support him. Thankfully, he's reading Gary Taube's book, Why We Are Fat: And What to Do About It. That will help, because he reviews and explains the science behind the Atkin's diet. Perhaps it's for this reason that I think it might be better if you go on the diet first for a couple of weeks so you can bring that experience to supporting your daughter (though it will likely be easier for you as a non-diabetic).

There are three books that I am in the process of reading that have been the most helpful to me for differing reasons:

Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets: What Science Can Tell Us About the Strengths and Weaknesses of the Controvercial Diet that Controls Blood Sugar: The Facts You Need to Customize Your Diet for Lifelong Success (2012) by Jenny Ruhl - I really wish I'd read this book first, and I encourage you to consider doing so as well. She writes in the Introduction "...I remembered that after I had spent a year on my first very low carb diet in 1998, I, too, had run into the same problems that derail the majority of those who attempt to follow these diets - even though I'd read all the best selling books." She also reports that most people give up on the diet within a few months. I don't think I could do this diet without my books and the ongoing support I receive here. The chapters at the end of the book, beginning with Chapter 9 will help you make adjustments as you go. I'm finding this book to be very readable with lots of relevant information gleaned from her reading a lot of research studies. Jenny has Type 2 diabetes.

Dr. Bernstein's Diet Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars (2011) by Richard K. Bernstein, M.D. - This book is the classic and where I started. It includes lists of which foods to eat and which to avoid initially to begin learning what foods work best for you. I appreciate the books organization and content. Lots of information here too on how to get started, and how to handle problems, particularly for Type 1's, but just as good for Type 2's. Dr. Bernstein has Type 1 diabetes.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (2011) by Jeff S. Volek, Ph.D. R.D. and Stephen D. Phinney, M.D., Ph.D. - Of the three books, the diet recommendations suggested in this book may be best suited to you because I don't believe either author has diabetes, though I heard Dr. Phinney state in an online interview on DietDoctor.com that he uses the diet to maintain normal blood pressure - (Dr. Volek also uses the diet). What I like about this book is that it's written from the perspective of researchers for medical doctors, but very readable. I'm already tabbing and highlighting answers to my questions. They also co-authored with Eric C. Westman, M.D. the book The New Atkins For A New You (2010) which I plan to order next.

As I muddle through this process, I've gotten great support here and lots of links to interesting lectures posted online. It also helped that I took time off from work to start the diet and make adjustments as I go. It appears that I have a high level of insulin resistance so getting my blood glucose down may take months rather than weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's will be good for you, I'd start with cutting grain and grain product..google atkins, there is a lot free online.

seeing you are going on a course, this may be of help..
take a week to go through it, don't try and take it all in, in one day. so as not to be overwhelmed .
This set of workbooks is worth reading and practising working examples. Don't change dose without nurse approval
Carbohydrate Counting ,
– The Next Steps
Carbohydrate Tables , Carbohydrate and Blood Glucose Diary

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I have been low carbing for around a year now and following Dr Bernstein for over 6 months. I would recommend reading Dr Trudi Deakins book 'Eat Fat'. It is a very practice book and details a step-by-step guide to low carb living. Dr Trudi Deakin is a NHS advisor on diet, she writes the X-Pert health programme that the NHS use. It £10 on Amazon.

A LCHF diet is very much suitable for non diabetics. Dr Trudi Deakin is non diabetic an she is on a LCHF (82% fat) diet.

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all so much for the advice!
I will definitely invest in the books suggested :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it's definitely not specifically a diabetic diet, as it's also used, for example, by people who "just" need or want to lose weight, and by others like athletes and body builders who don't! Other diabetics on here have family members who've joined them in their low carb diets too.

I fully agree with @Ian DP's Eat Fat book recommendation, it gives you all the information you should need to know without being too technical about it, and offers detailed advice on how to get started on your low carb lifestyle. I rather wish it had been published when I started off.

Robbity