Konjac pasta, noodles, rice etc

Yeoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had great results getting my hbA1c down, over the last two years and am now pre diabetic, but I do at times feel like I am going mad eating meat, meat and more meat on my hflc diet. A god send has been tofu and creating chips out of them. Halloumi has been great, cheese that tastes like a carb to me. But y'know still struggling at times and fighting to stay low on carbs. Anyway I came across these pasta, noodles and rice products in Holland and Barratt. Only tried the pasta so far, had it with chicken pesto. It was nice, felt great to have a change. But it is hard to believe the claims. It says it has no carbs, as in zero, no fat, hardly any calories and was just fibre pretty much.

Has anyone else had experience with them, particularly has anyone tried their bloods with them to see what happens?

If these are what they say, it would be great, even if they are just bulk finre that makes the chicken and other protein in meals taste different. But I don't want to go with them and get three months down the line and find out the claims are nonsense and they are packed with carbs.

Any info or opinions much appreciated.

P.S

Not sure if this is the right sub forum or not, sorry if in the wrong place.

[moved for you. Daisy]

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Is this the slimy ones?
Why you eating so much meat meat meat?

Yeoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slimy, yea I guess so, but I can deal with that as long as it really has no carbs and doesn't cause blood sugar issues. In terms of lots of meat. I'm eating a lchf diet. Lots of chicken, fish, beef, bacon. Also quite a bit of eggs, cheese and tofu.

What else is there? Veg yes, but a lot of that is out of season, so much more of that to eat come spring/summer.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Yeah I've had great success with LCHF so far but I don't eat loads of meat.
I eat chicken fish mince chops bacon etc but not in any greater quantity than before.

.... possibly even less come to think on it.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Let me know how you get on with them ... the slimy bit puts me off.

Reactions: 2 people

Yeoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what are you eating instead of the carbs that you previously ate? I mean, I have greatly increased protein intake and therefore have a lot more animal fat in my diet.

Yeoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re noodles, yea, sure. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on them too, at least in terms of their claims and affects on blood sugar.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Full fat milk full fat cream full fat yoghurt olive oil coconut oil butter oily fish.
Where do you live that has seasonal veg?
We have a permanent season called supermarket season here.

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
fried some barenkd zero noodles from hollend and barett last night and ate em with thai red curry,,,nice enuff and my sugars were 6.6 2 hrs afterwards,,,,will have again :)

Reactions: 3 people

Yeoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But surely a lot of that, outside of the meat is either what food is cooked in or, sauces, or condiment? Milk, yoghurt - fair enough, though aren't they packed with sugar, albeit natural sugar? Other than the meat you listed, of which I include fish. How are you replacing the carbs most people eat, or that you yourself may have eaten in the past?

Seasonal veg, yea sorry, that is in reference to local grocers. Supermarket, sure and I admit I should eat more low carb veg. Personally I'm big on salad, but salad in the winter just doesn't appeal, so that is part of my thinking and use of the word seasonal. But yea should eat a bit more low carb veg.

HbA1c is 43 and that includes the Christmas period. So if it wasn't for that, I think I would be non diabetic in terms of numbers. But I could do with improving cholesterol figures/lipids. So work to be done.

Yeoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will take a look at them Simon, sounds promising. The food sounds good too :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
But surely a lot of that, outside of the meat is either what food is cooked in or, sauces, or condiment? Milk, yoghurt - fair enough, though aren't they packed with sugar, albeit natural sugar? Other than the meat you listed, of which I include fish. How are you replacing the carbs most people eat, or that you yourself may have eaten in the past?

Seasonal veg, yea sorry, that is in reference to local grocers. Supermarket, sure and I admit I should eat more low carb veg. Personally I'm big on salad, but salad in the winter just doesn't appeal, so that is part of my thinking and use of the word seasonal. But yea should eat a bit more low carb veg.

HbA1c is 43 and that includes the Christmas period. So if it wasn't for that, I think I would be non diabetic in terms of numbers. But I could do with improving cholesterol figures/lipids. So work to be done.
I know what you mean about salad this time of year .... sounds dreadful!
What I've changed is removing the usual suspects sugar bread pasta rice noodles but I've gotten to a point now where I've started re introducing the stuff bit at a time and doing ok.
I cut out all the low fat and went for full fat products.

I have coconut oil in coffee so my coffee is fatty butter too in there.
I don't consider myself to be all that high on fats .... more low carb reintroduce some fats into my diet.
The removal of fats via semi skimmed light low fat no fat products are a modern industrial concept and I feel fat wise I've just gone back to what my parents and those before them would have considered normal not new or diety.
I count nothing weigh nothing but live by my meter.
I know nothing about protiens and very little about diet.
If my reading is 4 to 5.5 I will eat some carbs if the reading is already 6 or above I wont.
It's really that simple.
I cold turkeyed for the first month .... as near to zero carbs as is possible with lots of nuts fish chicken oil lemon juice green tea zero sugar then started to make it a little easier having lost two and half stone in three months or thereabouts.
My latest fasting readings .... last week was it .... are so good the doc said I'm looking almost none diabetic with lower blood pressure lower bad cholesterol higher good cholesterol so ... re introducing a more conventional diet a bit at a time ... experimenting a little if you like but my meter is in charge still.

The milk by the way is only in brews .... I can't drink the stuff!
Never could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is a pain in the ****, isn't it? lol

I guess we all do what works for us individually and the meter way of going about things sound right for you. Sounds like your doctor is pleased too, so good stuff. I'm hoping these noodles, pasta rice etc works for me and are genuinely zero carb. I tried the pasta and it wasn't bad. If I had it alone I would have hated it, a bag of eels lol. But oddly, with pesto sauce and more importantly with chicken, it tasted 'background-ish, stodgy in a good way, the way you miss carbs. It just tasted like proper chicken pasta.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Diabetes is a pain in the ****, isn't it? lol

I guess we all do what works for us individually and the meter way of going about things sound right for you. Sounds like your doctor is pleased too, so good stuff. I'm hoping these noodles, pasta rice etc works for me and are genuinely zero carb. I tried the pasta and it wasn't bad. If I had it alone I would have hated it, a bag of eels lol. But oddly, with pesto sauce and more importantly with chicken, it tasted 'background-ish, stodgy in a good way, the way you miss carbs. It just tasted like proper chicken pasta.
You might have tempted me to give the noodles a try .... might!

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had great results getting my hbA1c down, over the last two years and am now pre diabetic, but I do at times feel like I am going mad eating meat, meat and more meat on my hflc diet. A god send has been tofu and creating chips out of them. Halloumi has been great, cheese that tastes like a carb to me. But y'know still struggling at times and fighting to stay low on carbs. Anyway I came across these pasta, noodles and rice products in Holland and Barratt. Only tried the pasta so far, had it with chicken pesto. It was nice, felt great to have a change. But it is hard to believe the claims. It says it has no carbs, as in zero, no fat, hardly any calories and was just fibre pretty much.

Has anyone else had experience with them, particularly has anyone tried their bloods with them to see what happens?

If these are what they say, it would be great, even if they are just bulk finre that makes the chicken and other protein in meals taste different. But I don't want to go with them and get three months down the line and find out the claims are nonsense and they are packed with carbs.

Any info or opinions much appreciated.

P.S

Not sure if this is the right sub forum or not, sorry if in the wrong place.

[moved for you. Daisy]

I have tried these noodles/pasta, from H&B as well and I liked them and they did not spike me. However, they gave me terrible stomach upset and diarrhea, so I threw out the other packages I had bought. :(

Yeoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that's not a great result Fallgal. I've been ok, will have to see what happens with each one/product. I wonder, could it be the fact that it's fibre? I have quite a bit of fibre in my diet, so maybe that makes a difference? Mmmm

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I do have a good bit of fibre in my diet, but I think the konjac just doesn't agree with me. (I have IBS as well and lots of things don't agree with me.) I think on the packet it states that it may have a laxative effect. I so wish I *could* eat them!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried the rice, spaghetti and noodles, no rise in numbers, no stomach problem (and with Crohn's Disease it's easy to upset mine!) and although not exactly the same as the carb ones I think they're a perfectly good substitute, and once you've got the sauce or whatever you choose to have with them it's fine. I'll definitely be making them a regular part of my diet because I used to have a lot of pasta, rice etc and was missing them :)

Muthathal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks to everyone's experience on the zero free Konjac noodles/pasta. I saw this on offer on Groupon. But wanted to know how it tasted or was it suitable for T2 diabetics . Will give a go as I would like to have some carbs to boost my LCHF diet. Will let you know how it affects my blood sugar when meter tested.
Muthathal