Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

scottie1

Muggle, there are some relaxing techniques that my CPN told me about when I was suffering from anxiety. For instance, clenching your fists and then releasing them slowly. Also, taking a breath in through your nose and then breathing out slowly from your mouth (or, was it the other way round, I forget). Try lying down and clenching your whole body, then slowly relax from your toes upwards. Warm baths with some lavender oil may also help. I put drops of lavender oil on my pillow and in my bath.

We are all with you on this, don't feel alone though that's easier said than done I know.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Steak, salad & mayo. Fed up that it's not coming down, how long does it normally take? I know it's a big reduction since I started but I had hoped to see better results by now.
This may well be the point at which you reach you high Scottie and then slowly fall away. Mayo would bother me a bit i suspect but that is irrelevant in the scheme of things.

You've got your head around this and that is the MASSIVE hurdle you needed to jump. Far more important than diet or exercise is acknowledging the condition and then setting a plan. You have obviously done that.

The BS / weight results will slowly drop and become apparent ... Mike

scottie1

Thank you Mike, for your words of encouragment.

I guess it's just a waiting game and as long as I follow my plan, the results will become more visable.

Reactions: 3 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Muggle, there are some relaxing techniques that my CPN told me about when I was suffering from anxiety. For instance, clenching your fists and then releasing them slowly. Also, taking a breath in through your nose and then breathing out slowly from your mouth (or, was it the other way round, I forget). Try lying down and clenching your whole body, then slowly relax from your toes upwards. Warm baths with some lavender oil may also help. I put drops of lavender oil on my pillow and in my bath.

We are all with you on this, don't feel alone though that's easier said than done I know.

Well done Scottie, I do hope Muggle knows we do feel her pain.

Reactions: 5 people

scottie1

I have come a long way since I first posted, and I am proud of myself for that. I didn't ever imagine that I would change my whole diet and actually want to. And I certainly didn't think I would stick to it. It's just like when I stopped smoking, one day I had just had enough so stopped and never had one since (this was over 11 months ago). Well, I have had enough of diabetes, being ill and being fat, so it's stopped and I am now taking control. When somebody asks me what type of diabetes I have, I will not say 'the fat kind', like I have done so often, I shall say 'I have type 2 and I'm in charge'.

Reactions: 6 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have come a long way since I first posted, and I am proud of myself for that. I didn't ever imagine that I would change my whole diet and actually want to. And I certainly didn't think I would stick to it. It's just like when I stopped smoking, one day I had just had enough so stopped and never had one since (this was over 11 months ago). Well, I have had enough of diabetes, being ill and being fat, so it's stopped and I am now taking control. When somebody asks me what type of diabetes I have, I will not say 'the fat kind', like I have done so often, I shall say 'I have type 2 and I'm in charge'.

Go girl!
You are sounding so posertive, that's excellent. Plus you are thinking of someone else.

Now Scottie, if your bs is not as you wish in the morning, don't start complaining, or I will tell you off. Lol
What are you having for breakfast? Also don't wait till lunchtime to have breakfast.

Good night Scottie, sweet dreams

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BG 15.9 post eating, so not good.

Steak, salad & mayo. Fed up that it's not coming down, how long does it normally take? I know it's a big reduction since I started but I had hoped to see better results by now.

Hi Scottie,
Firstly, what was your BGs before you ate, we need to know that.
Then you had the steak, with a sauce? Just plain
What was in the salad ?
Was the Mayo Full Fat ?
What did you drink with it?

Also what had you eaten earlier in the day for breakfast & lunch and did you have any snacks?

Are you checking all the carbs?
Neil

scottie1

Hi Scottie,
Firstly, what was your BGs before you ate, we need to know that.
Then you had the steak, with a sauce? Just plain
What was in the salad ?
Was the Mayo Full Fat ?
What did you drink with it?

Also what had you eaten earlier in the day for breakfast & lunch and did you have any snacks?

Are you checking all the carbs?
Neil

Hello daddy

BG before eating was 17.4
Plain steak with lettuce, cucumber and spring onions.
Low fat mayo.
Didn't drink anything with it.

Had mushroom omelette earlier today, that is all I have eaten today.

Yes, checking carbs - have had 7g of carbs, 809 calories and 81g protein.

scottie1

Sometimes, not very often but sometimes I want to go back to my old diet just so I can sleep. As not sleeping presently and this has only been since I started LCHF.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello daddy

BG before eating was 17.4
Plain steak with lettuce, cucumber and spring onions.
Low fat mayo.
Didn't drink anything with it.

Had mushroom omelette earlier today, that is all I have eaten today.

Yes, checking carbs - have had 7g of carbs, 809 calories and 81g protein.

Hi Scottie, I'm sorry, I was hoping you were doing something that we could say change it and it will really help your numbers, the only thing which I would suggest is the Mayo, you need the Full Fat Hellmans just 1.3g carbs per 100g, I picked up a Marks & Spencer Mayo I through it out, the carbs were very high, there will be carbs in the Low fat and because your reducing the carbs you need to replace them with fat.

The 7carbs for your daily intake is extremely low along with the high Protein, I'm not fully versed in all this, but 809 calories is what they are doing (800 a day for 8 weeks only) on the Newcastle Diet and that is under supervision, this to me, if your only having 800 cals a day is very extreme.

Sometimes, not very often but sometimes I want to go back to my old diet just so I can sleep. As not sleeping presently and this has only been since I started LCHF.

I'm really sorry you have felt that you would like to go back to your old diet because you have done so well so far with your numbers, I am really surprised how low your calorie intake is and would be worried for you.

Since I have gone on this diet I have eaten well, not starved at all, good breakfast, good lunch, and very good dinners with meat and lots of veg and a few pieces of 70% choc in the evening and lost weight. What I have cut out has been mainly the Bread Potatoes Rice Biscuits Pasta and processed food, Little fruit, but having nuts cheese fish veg salad meat eggs bacon

I can only say you are on so low calories and very low carbs and not having 3 meals a day will not be helping you for your energy levels. The irregular meals may not help and could contribute to the erratic sleeping.

Don't feel I contributed much to help you.

Neil

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. Hope you all slept well. Little man had a good night which meant I did so im feeling a bit more human again and ive also just got my lowest morning reading since I started, 6.6! Hope this is a positive start to a more positive day :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Good morning everyone. Hope you all slept well. Little man had a good night which meant I did so im feeling a bit more human again and ive also just got my lowest morning reading since I started, 6.6! Hope this is a positive start to a more positive day :)
Hi muggle71, good to hear ,well done ::))

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Good morning Muggle,
Glad you had a better night.
6.6 thats much better than my, 7.7
Have you had breakfast yet, hows the throat this morning?

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning Muggle,
Glad you had a better night.
6.6 thats much better than my, 7.7
Have you had breakfast yet, hows the throat this morning?
Hi millysue, im usually up there in the high sevens too, not sure why ive dropped but im not going to complain lol. Ive had two slices of brown toast. One with my fave cathedral city melted cheese and the other with the last of my egg mayo. I seem to cope ok and don't spike, but that's the only bread i eat in the day. I still have that horrible feeling in my throat but I know I will have a peaceful day today as there's only me and my eldest son home today, and he is the most quiet gentle peaceful person ever! If I keep myself occupied i won't notice it because I won't be thinking about it!
Hope you're ok and have a great day. Thank you for all your kind words, support and encouragement :)

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Did you Little man have a better
Hi millysue, im usually up there in the high sevens too, not sure why ive dropped but im not going to complain lol. Ive had two slices of brown toast. One with my fave cathedral city melted cheese and the other with the last of my egg mayo. I seem to cope ok and don't spike, but that's the only bread i eat in the day. I still have that horrible feeling in my throat but I know I will have a peaceful day today as there's only me and my eldest son home today, and he is the most quiet gentle peaceful person ever! If I keep myself occupied i won't notice it because I won't be thinking about it!
Hope you're ok and have a great day. Thank you for all your kind words, support and encouragement :)

Hi,
Your on a roll,:) lets keep it going.
What have you got planned for lunch.
It's 3 meals monday.

Also could you get a short nap in this afternoon, before the Little man comes home.
I think you are so sleep deprived it's not helping.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you Little man have a better

Hi,
Your on a roll,:) lets keep it going.
What have you got planned for lunch.
It's 3 meals monday.

Also could you get a short nap in this afternoon, before the Little man comes home.
I think you are so sleep deprived it's not helping.
Im going to make a corned beef quiche without the pastry so I can have some of that with some veg. Probably the same again for tonight's dinner too...
Doing chicken casserole and mashed potato for the kids

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How's our little Scottie doing today? Hope you are ok and will pop along on here soon so we can have a chat. Im going to be busy in the kitchen for a little while, chicken casserole for the kids and corned beef quiche for me today :) hope you're having a good day :)

scottie1

Morning all.

It's good to see you more postive Muggle, you must be feeling better. Enjoy your peaceful day.

BG on waking was 20.2, but I am not going to dwell on that, just will take note of my readings after food.

I haven't had any breakfast yet, will try and find something soon. Will be having Ryvitas with ham or cheese on them for lunch and maybe an omelette for dinner. Think I will be making hotpot for hubby and the children, it really doesn't bother me, them having something else. Last week I ate hotpot and my BG went up a great deal so will not be making that mistake again!

Visit to the dentist later today, I hate having injections but this is part of the new, healthy me.

I don't like Mondays, as hubby goes back to work at 5.15pm (he finishes the working week on Friday morning), I always have panic attacks and end up crying as I get used to having him home for nearly 4 days. It's horrible, especially as it does upset him and he worries about leaving me like that, so tonight I am going to be strong and send him off to work without upsetting him.

There is a snow blizzard here at the moment, though it doesn't seem to be settling.

scottie1

Hi Scottie, I'm sorry, I was hoping you were doing something that we could say change it and it will really help your numbers, the only thing which I would suggest is the Mayo, you need the Full Fat Hellmans just 1.3g carbs per 100g, I picked up a Marks & Spencer Mayo I through it out, the carbs were very high, there will be carbs in the Low fat and because your reducing the carbs you need to replace them with fat.

The 7carbs for your daily intake is extremely low along with the high Protein, I'm not fully versed in all this, but 809 calories is what they are doing (800 a day for 8 weeks only) on the Newcastle Diet and that is under supervision, this to me, if your only having 800 cals a day is very extreme.

I'm really sorry you have felt that you would like to go back to your old diet because you have done so well so far with your numbers, I am really surprised how low your calorie intake is and would be worried for you.

Since I have gone on this diet I have eaten well, not starved at all, good breakfast, good lunch, and very good dinners with meat and lots of veg and a few pieces of 70% choc in the evening and lost weight. What I have cut out has been mainly the Bread Potatoes Rice Biscuits Pasta and processed food, Little fruit, but having nuts cheese fish veg salad meat eggs bacon

I can only say you are on so low calories and very low carbs and not having 3 meals a day will not be helping you for your energy levels. The irregular meals may not help and could contribute to the erratic sleeping.

Don't feel I contributed much to help you.

Just by posting you have helped Daddy :)

So, I need to reduce my protein, that will be hard. I normally have around 400 calories left per day but I am managing well on it.

Thank you.