Type 1 for 7 years and today I've just admitted it!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey well done you for getting some support - that's really what you need more than anything, and it's never too late to get it, just a case of wanting it though and now you have a child there's a massive incentive for keeping yourself well.

Lely is right about feeling alot better when you get good control, eyes less blurry, feeling less sluggish, with better control you will feel so much better, so keep popping back here for support, open 24 hours lol !!! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

VixyA86

Yep, thanks for that. I think I was lucky because of my circumstances at the time and the proof I could give that I was completely ok and OTT on my carb counting and adjusting etc...and that I had a **** good DSN!!

It is vitally important that people know that people like me aren't the normal pump persons. For not doing dafne....And the hoops that people have to sometimes jump through to get a pump.

Hi I don't understand why everyone always says it's so hard to get a pump. I was referred to a different hospital to get one and at my first appointment the consultant, having only just met me basically told me not to worry, if I wanted a pump I could have one, and not to worry about funding! I had gone in all ready to prove myself as worthy of having one and it was just given to me, no questions asked. Didn't even have to do DAFNE or show them my blood sugar diary or anything! Maybe I was just lucky....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi I don't understand why everyone always says it's so hard to get a pump. I was referred to a different hospital to get one and at my first appointment the consultant, having only just met me basically told me not to worry, if I wanted a pump I could have one, and not to worry about funding! I had gone in all ready to prove myself as worthy of having one and it was just given to me, no questions asked. Didn't even have to do DAFNE or show them my blood sugar diary or anything! Maybe I was just lucky....

I don't understand the struggles either. I think its that certain hospitals still have older consultants and CCG Personnel with mind sets back in the 60's and 70's.

Fortunately my hospital in South Wales at the time had purchased a bulk amount of a particular type of pump and could offer me one straight away. I had never been to that hospital before either. My driving incident was the day before my first appointment with them.

Seems that the hospitals and CCG's cannot see the benefits from long term good health from a pump but only see the costs as huge...

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
good move fella, taking control is the best move ive made too after ignoring it for too long, your lady will appreciate it too. i'd like to know how you get on with the pump. gl

pavmas

They like you to have dafne training but as in my case I have never had any training at all other than what I taught myself.

HOWEVER. Proof was that I kept a log book in with regular testing, all my foods carb countrd and adjusting doses etc.... I could 100% prove I had everything feasible being done properly.

Just that before you discuss pumps etc you need to keep on the bandwagon of looking after yourself and proving it.

Pumps aren't normally given to adults that haven't tried everything. Children are nowadays being seen as a priority for pumps.

So if you are starting to think you want a pump then keep doing the things you should be.
I actually agree with children giving priority for pumps, im 55 and was type1 aged48 so I could do alright on the pens, and I think I prefer that as once itake the jab im not carrying it about. But kids have to go a whole lifetime with this and need the best availble at the start

Reactions: 2 people