Why no love for peanuts?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading through a lot of posts here I notice that almonds are a prized low carb food, but peanuts don't get a lot of love.

Since I've been low carbing I've been having a fair bit of peanuts (whole roasted in shell) and I really like them. I find them very filling and notice that they've got more protein, slightly more fat and slightly fewer carbs than almonds.

Just wondering why they're not more popular.

images

Last edited by a moderator:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well I love peanuts but unfortunately they spike my blood glucose levels. It seems that I am not alone on this. Peanuts are not really nuts but legumes. Did you test to see how they effect your BG results ?

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I love peanuts but unfortunately they spike my blood glucose levels. It seems that I am not alone on this. Peanuts are not really nuts but legumes. Did you test to see how they effect your BG results ?
Yes that's one of the things I like about them, they don't spike my blood sugar levels at all.

There was a discussion here recently regarding protein causing a BSL spike in some people but not others. Peanuts definitely have a bit more protein than some other nuts, so perhaps that's the cause. For me however it only seems to be carbohydrates that cause my BSL to spike.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Well, go eat them but make sure (if you have not already) thru a few more tests :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some of the problem with peanuts is that a lot of us would choose them shelled and ready salted in a convenient bag. Eaten like that it's easy to just not notice how many you are eating. Eaten the way you eat them, out of their shell, has to be a better option because you have more time to think "Have I had enough now?"

I do eat peanuts sometimes, but I weigh them first and put the pack away before I start eating them.

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a small portion of roasted, salted peanuts most days, but I do "dose" them, by measuring eggcup measures. This isn't so much about calories or carbs for me, but because too many peanuts gives me my own version of the "Metformin Blues".

Ahem.

Reactions: 4 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love peanuts but unfortunately I can't control myself around them lol I might try the ones In the shells though.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a small portion of roasted, salted peanuts most days, but I do "dose" them, by measuring eggcup measures. This isn't so much about calories or carbs for me, but because too many peanuts gives me my own version of the "Metformin Blues".

Ahem.
I eventually got that from eating too many almonds, too fast as well.

It was like having a whole gut full of twigs and branches. It was horrid.

I am less fond of almonds these days.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I love peanuts but unfortunately I can't control myself around them lol I might try the ones In the shells though.
Yeah the ones in the shell are great. No added "mystery" vegetable oil and no salt (I don't mind salt, but sometimes salted nuts have more than I like.) Also when I buy them like that I can usually get locally grown product, whereas most shelled/salted/packed ones are from a mystery country of origin - prolly China.

BTW. We have really good food labelling laws here in Australiao_O They're are supposed to list country of origin on the package for all food items, but for some reason they can effectively get away with listing "Country of origin: Anywhere we f#*^ing want! And we're not telling you" :confused:. Ok well it's actually "packed in Australia from local and/or imported ingredients", but it means exactly the same thing. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanuts get a lotta love from me.
To the point where I can eat peanut butter with a spoon. And I do. Perhaps too large a spoon.
:D
But my main use for almonds is (occasional LC baking) and peanuts would work for that.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love peanuts but I haven't tested to see if they spike me - will have to do that now! I had been consuming too many roasted and salted peanuts recently but have since switched to red skin peanuts from Asda - very reasonable at I think 69p a bag. These are not roasted or salted - I think they are blanched. They are a bit like the peanuts for bird feeders (those are not human consumption grade by the way!). I think the skins are actually quite beneficial with anti-oxidants and additional fibre. It's really difficult to find reasonably priced shelled non-roasted peanuts so well done Asda (for once!). :)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanuts get a lotta love from me.
To the point where I can eat peanut butter with a spoon. And I do. Perhaps too large a spoon.
:D
But my main use for almonds is (occasional LC baking) and peanuts would work for that.

Peanut butter from a spoon.... mmmmm, yes - one of my favourite guilty pleasures! Even worse - peanut butter and jelly in a jar, but let's not talk about that!

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I was too lazy to do the calculations before but I've just done them now.

According to the nutritional info on the pack, the peanuts I have here (roasted in shell) have slightly under 8.5% of their total calories as carbs whereas the "natural almonds" I have here are slightly over 9.5% (of total calories) as carbs. :)