Low carb snaks for T1s

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I'm sat here, getting hungry and don't want to mess my near perfect day of good bg readings so i need a snak but im like... durrrrrrr? Do you have any simple low carb snak ideas you eat that don't raise the bg levels? I usually go for some biscuits with a cup of tea but that's just not possible now.

I picked this up off the web...

Ants on a Log (2 logs from small celery stalks, 206 calories, 16g fat, 9g protein, 10g carbs)
For a quick, high-protein energy boost, try the totally portable ants on a log. Peanut butter is a great source of healthy fats and satiating protein. The key is to use natural peanut butter made with just peanuts (and salt, if desired) -- avoid any added oils or sugar. Celery gives you a satisfying crunch, and the raisins add a touch of sweetness.

what the fek??? Urghhhhh!!! Need to up the anti a little.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For a T2 I find a handful of nuts or olives sometimes can be needed as a snack to tide me over to the next meal. I'm sure it would work for a T1 too. But be careful with the nuts, some varieties are quite carby. Hazelnuts are a favourite.

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Peperami (does not need to be refrigerated), pork scratchings, cheese and tree nuts (not peanuts or cashews).

But better to eat more fat at mealtimes as this will more likely carry you through to the next meal without the need to snack.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I never snack, it doesn't fill a gap for me, just never been the snacking type. But good luck in finding something :)

Best wishes RRB

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ha ha ha... my dad used to give me ants on a log when I was little. Still eat it to this day :happy:

Careful on the pork scratchings - I've found a decent sized bag, e.g. 70g raises my bg significantly :(

I love greek yogurt - plain, or with some blueberries and seeds on top

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Peperami (does not need to be refrigerated), pork scratchings, cheese and tree nuts (not peanuts or cashews).

But better to eat more fat at mealtimes as this will more likely carry you through to the next meal without the need to snack.

Hey, @Ian DP i'm trying to get my head around the lchf diet but the more fat in my diet is giving me a headache, which at first put me off quite a lot, and you have pork scratching in there. I have incorporated boiled eggs in to my lchf regime, i've had 3 today just to fill me up and this is great as im getting my bg down, i'm seeing results by knocking a lot of bread on the head too, if i stick to the plan i should get a better hbA1c, but (sorry about that @Kelsie :)) i know eggs are high in cholesterol (as in 124% rda) and pork scratchings are very high fat and i would expect them to have a bad effect on the bad cholesterol too, How is the extra fat in the diet going to effect the cholesterol levels on the next HbA1c, would you know?

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
My experience is; carbs increase BG a lot, protein increased BG a little and fat does not increase BG at all (some say marginally). My experience is, eating lots of fat eliminates the need for snacks. I never ever snack now, except if, for some reason, I have to miss a meal.....That's what low carb high fat does for you. Sustainable energy, whereas carbs give short term energy (and high BG levels!).... That's my experience.

If you want to increase fat at mealtime, eat more fatty meat and salmon, more hard cheese, cream, butter, mayonnaise etc.

Eating LcHf might well increase your cholesterol total, but this is not now seen as a problem as normally trigs improve and the HDL (good) goes up. That's my Experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, @Ian DP i'm trying to get my head around the lchf diet but the more fat in my diet is giving me a headache, which at first put me off quite a lot, and you have pork scratching in there. I have incorporated boiled eggs in to my lchf regime, i've had 3 today just to fill me up and this is great as im getting my bg down, i'm seeing results by knocking a lot of bread on the head too, if i stick to the plan i should get a better hbA1c, but (sorry about that @Kelsie :)) i know eggs are high in cholesterol (as in 124% rda) and pork scratchings are very high fat and i would expect them to have a bad effect on the bad cholesterol too, How is the extra fat in the diet going to effect the cholesterol levels on the next HbA1c, would you know?
there is no RDA of cholesterol any more. they have accepted that food cholesterol doesn't change blood cholesterol
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...ncern-us-experts/story-fneuzkvr-1227229912653

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This may or may not address your need. Is it the fat or not enough salt that's causing the problem? I'm new to the LCHF diet and was having difficulty with staying adequately hydrated toward the end of my second week on the diet. I didn't feel good. Then I read this:

"If you are eating less than 60 grams of carbohydrate a day, you need to purposefully add 2 - 3 grams of sodium to your daily intake (unless you are still taking diuretic medication under a doctor's direction for high blood pressure or fluid retention). And if you do hard or prolonged exercise (enough to make you sweat), one of those 'grams' need to be consumed within the hour before you start. At or above 60 grams of carbs, this prescription becomes optional. However, if you go out planning to exercise for 30 minutes, but you find you have to stop after 15 because you feel lousy or light-headed, try it next time with a cup of broth within an hour of exercising and see how things go." From The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (2011), p. 240-1.

The authors suggested using bouillon cubes or your own broth, but I chose to dissolve salt into warm water to drink instead.

1 gram of salt is 0.18 teaspoon, and an 1/8 teaspoon is 0.12 teaspoon, so for about 5 days now I've been trying varying amounts. 1/4 teaspoon twice a day was too much for me. Now I'm trying and 1/8 teaspoon 2 - 3 times a day.

Reactions: 6 people