A warning about Quorn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Feeling horrible this morning. Last night after 10pm I started to feel very unwell, I vomited twice and also about 2.45am. My throat is very sore and my nose, now and during the night, felt closed up, I can breathe but it's more difficult.
I had a vegetarian meal with my teenager and used Quorn roast for the first time, it tasted delicious and I checked for Wheat, gluten etc before I ate it. It must of been this that made me so ill, as I am feeling like death right now. BS was 5.5 before bed and woke up to 8.5 and a headache too.
I looked online regarding the Quorn and the 'microprotein' which it is made from is made from 'mould' and can be toxic.
I am supposed to be caring for my dad today, hoping I will feel better soon.
Does anyone know of this and has it happened to you or someone you know.

Take care guys x

Fake Fungal "Chik'n" Causes Anaphylaxis, Severe Vomiting, Hives

December 1, 2011

The vat-grown mold used to make the Quorn line of meat substitutes causes gastrointestinal distress and in some cases, life-threatening anaphylactic reactions, according to the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest. The nutrition and food safety watchdog group has again urged the Food and Drug Administration to revoke its “Generally Recognized as Safe,” or GRAS, designation for the controversial fermented fungus. If the agency does intend to allow Quorn’s “mycoprotein” to remain on store shelves, it should at least require a prominent warning label, the group says.

Quorn is a meat substitute that typically takes the shape of artificial chicken patties or nuggets, imitation ground beef, cylindrical “roasts,” as well as other meatless incarnations, such as “Cranberry & Goat Cheese Chik’n Cutlets.” The principal ingredient is a microscopic fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which the company feeds with oxygenated water, glucose, and other nutrients in giant fermentation tanks. Once harvested from the tanks, the material is heat-treated in order to remove its excess RNA, and then dewatered in a centrifuge. Combined with egg albumen and other ingredients, it is then “texturized” into various meat-like shapes.

CSPI first urged the Food and Drug Administration to take Quorn off the market in 2002, and has been collecting adverse reaction reports from consumers ever since at QuornComplaints.com. CSPI has collected about 500 such reports from Americans and 1,200 more from European and Australian consumers. The vast majority of those reactions involved vomiting and diarrhea; others reported fainting or blood appearing in stool, vomit, or eyes. A smaller percentage of complaints involved hives or potentially fatal anaphylactic reactions. About 17 percent of complainants required medical treatment, sometimes hospitalization. According to a telephone survey of consumers in the United Kingdom (where the product is marketed more widely than in the United States), nearly 5 percent of consumers reported being sensitive to Quorn.

CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson relayed 10 consumers’ complaints in a recent letter to FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods Michael Taylor.

One 20-year-old man from Waco, TX, told CSPI that two hours after eating Quorn Chik’n Nuggets, he began to feel nauseous, and, too far from a bathroom, tried to open a window in order to vomit. He blacked out and hit his head on a trash can. And, according to a report filed by her daughter, a 75-year-old woman from Towson, MD, vomited and passed out in the theater during a production of Les Miserables four hours after eating half of a Quorn Chik’n patty. She spent the night in the emergency room and required anti-nausea medicine to stop her vomiting.

"We believe, and we suspect that any reasonable person would believe, that any novel food ingredient that causes hives, anaphylactic reactions, or vomiting so violent that blood vessels burst, cannot, indeed must not, be considered by the FDA to be ‘generally recognized as safe,’" Jacobson wrote.

CSPI urged that Quorn products be removed from the marketplace. If the FDA declines to do that, CSPI suggested that the following notice be required on the fronts of Quorn packages: “Warning: This product might cause severe diarrhea or vomiting, or a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction; an allergy might develop only after consuming the product several times.” The group’s letter acknowledges that it is skeptical the FDA would require such a notice.

“There are plenty of nutritious, safe, and environmentally-friendly meat substitutes, made with soybeans, mushrooms, legumes, rice, and other real food ingredients,” said Jacobson. “It’s crazy to knowingly allow a potent new allergen into the food supply yet that’s exactly what the FDA has done.”

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We used to use Quorn a long time ago and I would always feel a bit dodgy the day after it. Stopped using it since that.

Hope you feel better soon @Robinredbreast

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I must admit I've never fancied trying it, due to it being a manufactured fungus. I'd rather eat meat.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wont be eating it again, teenager is vegi so I decided to go vegi yesterday,my throat was bad enough but the 'blocked up nose' feeling wasn't nice. Head at eye level or slightly down, is more difficult to breath, head looking up, feels better ?
Teenager is absolutely fine :)

K

Kat100

Hope you feel better soon RRB ...
I am veggie but not a fan of quorn ...

Lots of lentils and different beans I like ...I sometimes use the mince ...but would prefer a type of lentil if making a cottage pie ....

Get well soon , hope you recover quickly ....kat x

@Robinredbreast some is not gluten free :(

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling horrible this morning. Last night after 10pm I started to feel very unwell, I vomited twice and also about 2.45am. My throat is very sore and my nose, now and during the night, felt closed up, I can breathe but it's more difficult.
I had a vegetarian meal with my teenager and used Quorn roast for the first time, it tasted delicious and I checked for Wheat, gluten etc before I ate it. It must of been this that made me so ill, as I am feeling like death right now. BS was 5.5 before bed and woke up to 8.5 and a headache too.
I looked online regarding the Quorn and the 'microprotein' which it is made from is made from 'mould' and can be toxic.
I am supposed to be caring for my dad today, hoping I will feel better soon.
Does anyone know of this and has it happened to you or someone you know.

Take care guys x

Fake Fungal "Chik'n" Causes Anaphylaxis, Severe Vomiting, Hives

December 1, 2011

The vat-grown mold used to make the Quorn line of meat substitutes causes gastrointestinal distress and in some cases, life-threatening anaphylactic reactions, according to the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest. The nutrition and food safety watchdog group has again urged the Food and Drug Administration to revoke its “Generally Recognized as Safe,” or GRAS, designation for the controversial fermented fungus. If the agency does intend to allow Quorn’s “mycoprotein” to remain on store shelves, it should at least require a prominent warning label, the group says.

Quorn is a meat substitute that typically takes the shape of artificial chicken patties or nuggets, imitation ground beef, cylindrical “roasts,” as well as other meatless incarnations, such as “Cranberry & Goat Cheese Chik’n Cutlets.” The principal ingredient is a microscopic fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which the company feeds with oxygenated water, glucose, and other nutrients in giant fermentation tanks. Once harvested from the tanks, the material is heat-treated in order to remove its excess RNA, and then dewatered in a centrifuge. Combined with egg albumen and other ingredients, it is then “texturized” into various meat-like shapes.

CSPI first urged the Food and Drug Administration to take Quorn off the market in 2002, and has been collecting adverse reaction reports from consumers ever since at QuornComplaints.com. CSPI has collected about 500 such reports from Americans and 1,200 more from European and Australian consumers. The vast majority of those reactions involved vomiting and diarrhea; others reported fainting or blood appearing in stool, vomit, or eyes. A smaller percentage of complaints involved hives or potentially fatal anaphylactic reactions. About 17 percent of complainants required medical treatment, sometimes hospitalization. According to a telephone survey of consumers in the United Kingdom (where the product is marketed more widely than in the United States), nearly 5 percent of consumers reported being sensitive to Quorn.

CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson relayed 10 consumers’ complaints in a recent letter to FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods Michael Taylor.

One 20-year-old man from Waco, TX, told CSPI that two hours after eating Quorn Chik’n Nuggets, he began to feel nauseous, and, too far from a bathroom, tried to open a window in order to vomit. He blacked out and hit his head on a trash can. And, according to a report filed by her daughter, a 75-year-old woman from Towson, MD, vomited and passed out in the theater during a production of Les Miserables four hours after eating half of a Quorn Chik’n patty. She spent the night in the emergency room and required anti-nausea medicine to stop her vomiting.

"We believe, and we suspect that any reasonable person would believe, that any novel food ingredient that causes hives, anaphylactic reactions, or vomiting so violent that blood vessels burst, cannot, indeed must not, be considered by the FDA to be ‘generally recognized as safe,’" Jacobson wrote.

CSPI urged that Quorn products be removed from the marketplace. If the FDA declines to do that, CSPI suggested that the following notice be required on the fronts of Quorn packages: “Warning: This product might cause severe diarrhea or vomiting, or a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction; an allergy might develop only after consuming the product several times.” The group’s letter acknowledges that it is skeptical the FDA would require such a notice.

“There are plenty of nutritious, safe, and environmentally-friendly meat substitutes, made with soybeans, mushrooms, legumes, rice, and other real food ingredients,” said Jacobson. “It’s crazy to knowingly allow a potent new allergen into the food supply yet that’s exactly what the FDA has done.”
Hope you feel better soon.

Please can you let me know the source of the info you included.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was veggie for years but would never eat quorn, it's very highly processed food. If you google 'quorn problems' there's lots of stuff!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you feel better soon RRB. I've never tried Quorn and won't be doing now!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The ingredients in the quorn roast, Ingredients ( light green lettering)(Mycoprotein (59%) Rehydrated Free range EGG, White onion, Natural flavourings, Rapeseed oil, Milk proteins, firming agents,Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate.

Allergy advice ( also light green lettering) does mention Milk, Egg and ' There have been rare cases of allergic reactions to Quorn, which contains Mycoprotein a member of the fundi/mould family.
'Mycoprotein is high in protein and fibre. This may cause an intolerance to some people :eek:' The last sentence seems bizarre to me and very misleading. What about the 59% of Mycoprotein it's made from??.:wideyed: :confused:

Think I've got another Bee buzzing about :mad:

RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
OMG! hope you are feeling better. I have been toying with the idea of trying Quorn but each time I hesitate, I'm glad I did, my tummies delicate at the best of times. Thanks for the warning and hope you got to see your Dad

Thanks poohtiggy, I did go to my dad's, just did the basics and came home. Teenager has said she is never eating it again, even though she has been fine, but it makes me shudder :eek:

Best wishes RRB

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Glad you are feeling better Robin,I have never eaten Quorn.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know a couple of people who have a bad reaction to Quorn. I can eat it without any problems and have it probably a couple of times a month - the chunks in a curry or the sausages.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

People can take a bad reaction to any food. My nephew takes a terrible reaction to kiwi fruit, for example. He is fine with Quorn.

Hope you feel better soon RRB :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People can take a bad reaction to any food. My nephew takes a terrible reaction to kiwi fruit, for example. He is fine with Quorn.

Hope you feel better soon RRB :)
Kiwi fruit is not a good food to be allergic to. It is natural food though. I never really thought of Quorn as a processed food before, as it is hyped up to appear such a good healthy food. I feel a bit gullible for not realising it is artificial.

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eek would never eat Quorn as am allergic to mushrooms which are also a fungus. Also allergic to penicillin which has mould in background!
If you are allergic mushrooms though you may also have reaction to prawns and strawberries as there is something also in them that is similar.

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)