Back in hospital again!!

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been admitted into hospital again, due to having an allergic reaction on Thursday afternoon from eating a bag of mixed nuts from Tesco and having a anaphylatic shock. The reaction sent my blood sugars into the sky and after having loads of tests done at the hospital, i've been told to stay away from tree nuts and nut butters. I am still waiting for test result on whether or not I can have coconut. I don't know what to do now with my tubs of peanut butter and bags of mixed nuts as they are my snack foods.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Oh dear. Sounds like you've been through the mangle. Whilst you're in hospital, take the opportunity to rest & gather your thoughts. Having the time to think things through helps to gain some perspective and makes it easier to deal with adversity. As for your big bag of mixed nuts...I'm sure the local bird/wildlife will welcome them. I have all sorts of critters visit my garden where I always have seeds/nuts/dried fruit out. From pheasants & robins to red squirrels and at night, hedgehogs. It's really quite calming watching them. Chin up & I hope you'll be well again very soon. Best wishes.
Ali. X :)

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tough break. I'll swap your peanut butter & nuts for a pound or two of best gruyere, Port Salu or stilton? Or better still, some stilton and a glass of port? Get well soon.

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Tough break. I'll swap your peanut butter & nuts for a pound or two of best gruyere, Port Salu or stilton? Or better still, some stilton and a glass of port? Get well soon.

Oh my!!! Think I'd like to take you up on your offer DeejayR. (rumbles around in larder picking out the half jars of peanut butter.) You've made me hungry for a lovely bit of Wenslydale Grommit. :)

image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been admitted into hospital again, due to having an allergic reaction on Thursday afternoon from eating a bag of mixed nuts from Tesco and having a anaphylatic shock. The reaction sent my blood sugars into the sky and after having loads of tests done at the hospital, i've been told to stay away from tree nuts and nut butters. I am still waiting for test result on whether or not I can have coconut. I don't know what to do now with my tubs of peanut butter and bags of mixed nuts as they are my snack foods.

I have to say, you're not getting your fair share of lucky breaks with this diabetes lark.

Perhaps your diabetic flat mates could use your nuts and peanut butter? As for snacks, looks like a new search is on...... I've recently discovered roasted, salted chickpeas. They're nice, and I sometime grind a few chilli flakes onto them to give them a perk. I don't have too many as they're a bit carrier than peanuts. If it's any consolation, I cant eat too many peanuts myself, because they have an "unfortunate" and frankly, underisable, effect on my system if I do.

Maybe put a shout out on the forum for a long-life, bag snack? I'd be interested in a few alternatives myself, although, thankfully my little 28g packs of peanuts have served me well up until now.

Have you done any research on related allergies? Often people allergic to certain foods will have others by association. By virtue of trimming your diet, you may be more likely to encounter more extreme reactions, because once we find "something" that works, we tend to hit it quite hard to start with.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi akindrat18. Can you identify any type of nut in that mix that you have not previously eaten, at least not in any quantity. Unless the allergy has just had a sudden onset, it seems unlikely to be caused by foods you've previously eaten without issue.

BTW. Peanuts are not tree nuts but are actually a legume. Technically they're not even a nut at all, though they're often referred to a ground nuts.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi akindrat18. Can you identify any type of nut in that mix that you have not previously eaten, at least not in any quantity. Unless the allergy has just had a sudden onset, it seems unlikely to be caused by foods you've previously eaten without issue.

BTW. Peanuts are not tree nuts but are actually a legume. Technically they're not even a nut at all, though they're often referred to a ground nuts.

@uart the mixed nuts bag included Cashew Nuts, Almonds, Hazelnuts, Peanuts, Pecan Nuts, but may have had traces of other nuts as labelled on the bag. I think it was either the Pecan Nuts or Almonds that triggered the reaction and i've been snacking on a 200g bag of nuts everyday since February.

I have to say, you're not getting your fair share of lucky breaks with this diabetes lark.

Perhaps your diabetic flat mates could use your nuts and peanut butter? As for snacks, looks like a new search is on...... I've recently discovered roasted, salted chickpeas. They're nice, and I sometime grind a few chilli flakes onto them to give them a perk. I don't have too many as they're a bit carrier than peanuts. If it's any consolation, I cant eat too many peanuts myself, because they have an "unfortunate" and frankly, underisable, effect on my system if I do.

Maybe put a shout out on the forum for a long-life, bag snack? I'd be interested in a few alternatives myself, although, thankfully my little 28g packs of peanuts have served me well up until now.

Have you done any research on related allergies? Often people allergic to certain foods will have others by association. By virtue of trimming your diet, you may be more likely to encounter more extreme reactions, because once we find "something" that works, we tend to hit it quite hard to start with.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

@AndBreathe My diabetic flatmates do not want my nuts or peanut butter as they have said that eating nuts will make them fat and they are hypnotized by the NHS into eating low fat foods, so now I've made plans to switch flats as they are unsuccessfully persuading me into joining them on their low fat diet. As for the search for a new snack, i've found cold hotdogs as a suitable replacement for nuts. Also your suggestion of chickpeas was a fantastic idea as it got me thinking about hummus, so I did some research and found out that I can freeze hummus and use my nutribullet to make it.
I love hummus and i've event got my family into eating hummus (they have it with bread sticks and crackers) with cheese and pickled onions.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@uart the mixed nuts bag included Cashew Nuts, Almonds, Hazelnuts, Peanuts, Pecan Nuts, but may have had traces of other nuts as labelled on the bag. I think it was either the Pecan Nuts or Almonds that triggered the reaction and i've been snacking on a 200g bag of nuts everyday since February.

@AndBreathe My diabetic flatmates do not want my nuts or peanut butter as they have said that eating nuts will make them fat and they are hypnotized by the NHS into eating low fat foods, so now I've made plans to switch flats as they are unsuccessfully persuading me into joining them on their low fat diet. As for the search for a new snack, i've found cold hotdogs as a suitable replacement for nuts. Also your suggestion of chickpeas was a fantastic idea as it got me thinking about hummus, so I did some research and found out that I can freeze hummus and use my nutribullet to make it.
I love hummus and i've event got my family into eating hummus (they have it with bread sticks and crackers) with cheese and pickled onions.

Some excellent news there. Just test for humus. I can eat it, but it does make my bloods a bit frisky (for me), if I over indulge. Tesco do some lovely ones with Harissa and the like. Yummmmmm.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been testing every four hours and when I had an appointment with him about my meds and blood sugars, he was like "sugar levels between 6 and 10 are good and its ok to have a occasional slip up". Tesco do have some lovely hummus dips and I tend to buy the 3 mini dips selection.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like pork scratchings, come in small (think 25g) bags but very filling and very yummy. I think you either like or loathe them! When my husband sees me eating them he always says "You are what you eat".

Reactions: 4 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
awww get well soon xxx

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like pork scratchings, come in small (think 25g) bags but very filling and very yummy. I think you either like or loathe them! When my husband sees me eating them he always says "You are what you eat".
& gets a slap around the chops I expect. Does he eat pork? Say no more.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am well, back at uni, but now its stress month with assessment deadlines at uni and I don't think I will be able to take any more stress. So i've decided that i'm going to focus solely on my work until May when i'm finished with uni and then LCHF lifestyle back at my parents as they have read a book called eat fat after one of their work mates gave it them to read.

Also my mum has just sent me some of her amazing meals in Tupperware like spag bol, lasagna, curry, pie, as well as some minted lamb chops, chicken and a box containing meat for a week for only £20.

I am still attending gym 3 times a week and when I move back home, will have my cousin as a gym buddy. I have also got this book that has delish low carb recipes for my nutribullet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Carb-NutriBullet-Recipe-Book/dp/1505621747/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

I am still going to keep an eye on my blood sugars when i'm eating carbs and if I go over 12.5 then I will reduce my carb intake.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Also my mum has just sent me some of her amazing meals in Tupperware like spag bol, lasagna, curry, pie, as well as some minted lamb chops, chicken and a box containing meat for a week for only £20.

Pasta, more pasta and pastry. Hope you test with that stuff.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Do you really mean you snack on a 200g bag of nuts daily or is that a typo?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you really mean you snack on a 200g bag of nuts daily or is that a typo?

Yes I used to go through a 200g bag of nuts everday.

Pasta, more pasta and pastry. Hope you test with that stuff.

My blood sugars are ok when i have my mums cooking, its just when I buy already prepared meals that my blood sugars sky rocket.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
OK ..... no problems then :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand what you are saying about your deadlines. I agree your degree is really important. My own son struggled with eating healthily at such times (however he isn't diabetic). The only thing I would say is please don't go mad with eating the wrong foods. Your BG's may well be higher than usual anyway because of the exam/assessment stress, eating healthily can only help, not hinder you.

Best of luck then.
x