Middle of the night toilet visits

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope this is the right place. Waking up for a pee has not been a problem for me and this probably points to why I was not conventionally diagnosed. However, since I started back on my Newcastle style diet (and witnessed my best bg readings to date) I have had to get up every night. Am a bit puzzled by this. Ideas anyone?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Sorry ... are you visiting or not ? That is not clear in your message

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry ... are you visiting or not ? That is not clear in your message

The last four nights I have had to get up around 2 or 3am for a pee. Only once and no thirst or dry mouth issues. I have not drunk any alcohol in the last ten days. I have added daily cinnamon (in tea and with breakfast) in the last ten days.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Worry not, I had to get up 3 times last night and it was freezing. I don't normally get up that often, just once generally.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Worry not, I had to get up 3 times last night and it was freezing. I don't normally get up that often, just once generally.

It's got me wondering it might be the cinnamon. I have been adding a teaspoon to my breakfast and using a two inch stick to infuse with ordinary tea. I might throttle back on the cinnamon a bit.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The last four nights I have had to get up around 2 or 3am for a pee. Only once and no thirst or dry mouth issues. I have not drunk any alcohol in the last ten days. I have added daily cinnamon (in tea and with breakfast) in the last ten days.

If I did NOT pay a visit, I'd be concerned somewhat. Once a night for me (or twice) .... natural. Again, that is me and this is you. I drink a LOT of water so I live with it. We ain't doctors so if you're concerned, back to the GP.

My best Mike

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was just reading about this, this morning and apparently getting up once a night is entirely normal.

Maybe on the Newcastle diet your glycogen stores become depleted to a much greater extent and your body, has as a consequence, less capacity to hold onto water .

Reactions: 6 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I'm not particularly worried, more curious than anything.

ceejayblue

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope this is the right place. Waking up for a pee has not been a problem for me and this probably points to why I was not conventionally diagnosed. However, since I started back on my Newcastle style diet (and witnessed my best bg readings to date) I have had to get up every night. Am a bit puzzled by this. Ideas anyone?
Don't know if your diet has anything to do with it but you are about the right age for getting your PSA tests done for your prostate, one of the symptoms of prostate trouble is having to get up to go to the loo alot in the night. I'd make an appointment for a PSA test if I were you.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there is a link to my resumption of the very low calorie diet as there is a direct correlation. Things are now back to normal and I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night for a couple of nights now so I think it was just a product of my body adapting to the diet. I certainly don't feel thirsty or have a dry mouth, etc.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@vit90: I remember going on a very low calorie diet many years and it was like having a tap permanently running right through me. :eek: I needed to wee much more that I did when I got my diabetes diagnosis!

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I sympathise,
with CKD3/4, I am up every 2 hrs. Only further downside I have is a collie thundering the entire length of the house every time she hears me, on the off-chance of getting a "midnight walk" :confused:

P.S. Getting up for a pee in the night should not be a problem, night-time incontinence and the resulting sheet change can inhibit your partner snuggling into you:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
It was a problem for me too. Some one in the forum commented that this is because I have a super active bladder. I drink water/tea before bed.
Now a days, the frequency is reduced to once at around 5-00 to 5-30 in the morning before wake up. Hope this is normal. Any comments?

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is condition which persuades you that you need to go when your bladder isn't full. I understand it's to an extent psychological. Anyway, for me the problem seems to alleviated :)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I think it's a male thing, my dad gets up 4-5 times a night, mind you he goes a lot during the day to. I don't get up in the night and only go about 3 times a day.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I only get up once in night - NOT every night though .
Hubby isn't a diabetic and he does the same as me .
We both drink plenty of water during the day
But we both stop about 9pm with any fluid intake .

Only if we are ill - does/will this show any changes in us both .
I am diabetic and he isn't .