Change lancet everytime you test?

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Should you change your blood meter lancets everytime you test? When I was diagnosed (couple of months ago) I was told to change it everytime and wash my hands when I test. However, I have found out that people hardly ever change their lancets and people don't wash their hands. What's the right way or is one of these a bad way to test?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You should always wash your hands before testing (if possible). As for changing the lancet, the manufactures advise that they are for single use only, it's personal choice if you adhere to that advice.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should always wash your hands before testing (if possible). As for changing the lancet, the manufactures advise that they are for single use only, it's personal choice if you adhere to that advice.

Ok, I was pretty sure about washing hands and tend to do that anyway. I've had to reuse a lancet once or twice before but as long as I don't use the same one forever it should be fine I guess :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I change mine about once every two weeks.

Farmpa78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes to washing your hands before you test, as for the lancet one of my diabetic nurse's said that it was down to your preference how often you change it, guess it depends on how regular you test, I only change mine once it starts to hurt a bit more. But as I only test once or twice a day a lancet can last a few weeks.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks for replying everyone, I test 6-7 times a day so reckon a lancet could last a couple of days? My main concern was whether re using a lancet effected the blood test results

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am confident that using the lancet for a dozen or so times is OK as it's your blood every time and the result is stuff coming out every time; you aren't injecting, so even if the lancet was contaminated it's unlikely it will be absorbed into your bloodstream. Washing your hands is important though, not just for hygiene but to avoid skewed results.

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and thanks to NICE guidelines get only one test strip per week!
However I purchased the code free meter as the test strips are half the price of the other meters I had.
Yes definitely wash and dry hands before testing. I use to do one time use for lancets but since NICE it is changed less frequently, I test just once a day at night to make sure that I don't go to bed when my levels are high, I change the lancet once a week which is about once in 7 -10 tests. But what I also do is to put the lancet back into the plastic of the top cap which cleans the lancet and protects it from germs until the next test.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN was actually surprised that I test and I certainly wasn't' offered a meter, let alone strips. But she was very pleased I was.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally yes I will change most times but not all times.

If for instance I know I am going to test again very soon like if I've had a hypo then I will just leave it and use the same one. Again there are other times when I will just leave it in but never usually for more than a couple of tests.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can only use my once since they are Unistik Gentle.JPG impossible to reuse.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certainly for public surgery and hospital use this would be mandatory, but not for personal use.

I mean they are physically impossible to reuse. The lancet and outer plastic casing are combined. Once you use them, you cannot reset them to use again. You throw the entire thing away.

Archmill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I change my lancet every time I use it I get 6 per drum I got mine free from the company that makes them I have my strips and lancets free on prescription

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
It is recommended that you change lancets every time you test, if you are prone to infections then this should be the practice, I change mine every couple of days as they do become blunt. New lancets cause far less pain as they are sharper.

dickyD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is recommended that you change lancets every time you test, if you are prone to infections then this should be the practice, I change mine every couple of days as they do become blunt. New lancets cause far less pain as they are sharper.
I test 5 times a day and change my lancet monthly - if I remember to. No problems.
Actually I often just lick my finger before sampling - and then dry it on a paper table napkin - a red one so it looks less sordid!

Puddlejumper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't remember the last time I changed mine and I test at least 4 times a day, off to hang my head in shame and work out where I put the box of lancets!

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine whenever i find that I am having problems drawing blood on the first attempt, or if it gets too painful.

I have also noticed that I can pick my finger in the morning, and usually can squeeze out blood from the same hole for my lunch reading, and my after lunch reading lol Sometimes i can get an entire day out of one finger prick! Well, at least the days when i test before and after meals i can, if i go more then 3-4 hours between tests i have to pick again lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure it's a good idea to reuse the same hole as there will be all kinds of enzyme activity and healing activity at the site, bacterial and immune system activity, it could change the readings from the capillary blood. In effect you are taking blood from an existing (small) wound.