Hypo's change over time?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

Does anybody else see that their hypo's have changed over time or just with a pump?

Mine after getting a pump are so much milder.. It seems like mine on injections were "harsher" and happened so much quicker.

Nowadays I can have a bad dream ir a funny dream and seem to have these that will wake me up at the point of being vivid memorable dreams.

Really quite strange how the feelings and mildness and even the dreams are signals now compared to a full on sort of alteration in my behaviour. Years ago during the night I would get chronic sweats and my dog crawling under the duvet before I recognised and treated a hypo. Now, without my girlies around it seems that the more vivid a dream is it wakes me and my immediate reaction is to test and it will be a sign of my levels dropping. Ie last night it dropped from 5.6 to 4.8 and sure enough my dreams were vivid..

Can't put my finger on it but mdi had a sharpness, sudden impact more than pump hypo's.. I guess this is because the insulin gradually feeds in at a slower rate, but is it just me?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it also tied with a change of diet? you have also cut back your carbs and if you are running dietary ketones, it can make hypos more mild because you are also running on fat.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Too early to say for sure if changes are noticeable on a pump but not quite sure why they would be DD, granted we are using one less insulin but can't see how that would make much difference, sometimes people do lose their hypo awareness the longer they have diabetes, could this not be the case with you?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
My hypos have certainly changed since switching to a pump 4 years ago. Much more subtle, as you describe a dreamy feeling and a feeling of things not quite right. On MDI full on shakes, sweats and horrible lethargy afterwards. Have had a couple like this but in the main much less severe but not always as easy to recognise for me.

Reactions: 2 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm this is a worry for me. I have my first appointment for going on a pump in a few weeks. TBH I know many people think they are great but I am not really looking forward to it that much. But I don't have great hypo awareness anyway so is there a chance that mine may become even worse?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can totally understand what your saying............

I felt I had similar hypos on MDI, but in the months before my pump my MDI doses were pretty good, so any hypo that happened was as a result of being so tight with the numbers......

its good news for all.............:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is it also tied with a change of diet? you have also cut back your carbs and if you are running dietary ketones, it can make hypos more mild because you are also running on fat.

Have never got to a point of ketones... Always found that strange, I have pretty much low curbed all my life, it was just the fat that was added in....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hmm this is a worry for me. I have my first appointment for going on a pump in a few weeks. TBH I know many people think they are great but I am not really looking forward to it that much. But I don't have great hypo awareness anyway so is there a chance that mine may become even worse?

Personally because they are milder and rarer they are better at being recognised for me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Too early to say for sure if changes are noticeable on a pump but not quite sure why they would be DD, granted we are using one less insulin but can't see how that would make much difference, sometimes people do lose their hypo awareness the longer they have diabetes, could this not be the case with you?

No the night times for instance are superb. Even hubby never wakes now... He has had not been disturbed now for years, whereas before the sweats and my dog getting under the duvet were the signs. Now I never get to the point of sweats...it's always when I have vivid dreams that actually wake me up. Unless my brain has changed because I haven't got my hypo alert dog creeping under the covers?

But daytime just is calmer.. Probably due to the less swings in blood. I try to keep my SD under 2.3 as an average, so perhaps this has helped... Don't know really, it's just improved from the sharpness I felt I had before the pump.

Perhaps it's an age thing?? :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@donnellysdogs, the most important thing is you still recognise a hypo and are in a position to treat them yourself, not sure about the age thing ;)

iHs

With a pump, my hypo symptoms are still the same but less severe and its made my OH be a lot less worried about me especially when I was trying to control bg levels tightly to achieve GPs recommendation of hba1c target of 6.5% using Lantus and then Levemir as the background. I didnt know about calculating bg levels using a ratio though and only found out about it through this forum linking to BDEC and looking at messages on other forum websites from people posting what insulin to carb ratio they were using at different times of the day. The penny dropped and I then realised how they achieved these ratios with bg testing.