New to this and scared :(

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Felt exactly the same. It does get better. Shock passes and you just 'get on with things'
A lot you can do to avoid those nasty complications, let them motivate you but not terrify you.
You remind me of someone off the telly.
Or is your av someone off the telly?

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Or are you that someone off the telly?
I haven't watched telly for over twenty years so you were younger back then ... gotta say you've aged extremely well.:cool:

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did not know I was diabetic and had no symptoms really, other than weeing a couple of times a night ??. I take BP medication and had blood tests done at the start of Jan 2015 , as I am very over weight the doc asked if she could do a diabetes test. Hba1c 51 and subsequent fasting blood test, four days later was 7.6
I was given some leaflets which I read and googled everything and have scared myself stupid. I suffer with anxiety / depression and this has made life awful for the past 5 weeks since diagnosis. I have read these forums today and I don't feel so alone in this ...... I am only 42 and feel its only older people that usually have this?. Did anyone else feel scared and how did you become reassured that it can be dealt with?. The complications are on my mind all day, every day :(
I have lost 2 stone since diagnosis am really hoping that will have a positive effect on Hba1c ? prob need to loose another 5 stone.
Grrrrrr why is life feeling like its crashed to the ground ? :(
Jane xx

Hi there,
Sorry for your diagnosis, but well done on already having lost some weight which will certainly help you to manage your blood glucose levels. Don't panic! This site is full of great advice and you will get loads of support which will help you get on track and more in control. In case you fancy meeting up with some others from the diabetes community - some who are in your position, and others who are seasoned 'professionals' at managing diabetes, there is a gathering (an un-conference) for people with diabetes this Saturday up in Nottingham organised by the GBDoc www.gbdoc.co.uk - an opportunity to meet, chat and discuss your concerns/issues with others in an open and friendly environment. I'm sure you would feel reassured to hear first hand from others that diabetes is a condition that with a bit of effort and knowledge can be managed. Stay positive - you are not alone.:)

georgianakate

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jane,

Just wanted to say that I've just been diagnosed as well. I'm 35, 7 stone overweight, and had HBa1cs of 56 and then 54 when tested. I've been moving towards a Paleo diet (which has done wonders for my husband's health) and have been doing LCHF for about 3-4 weeks, and have lost 9lbs, which is the most effective thing I have ever done with my weightloss (well done you for losing 2 stone - it is NOT easy). My mood is better, I don't have cravings, and I feel better than I have done in some time. Take heart! I don't understand science stuff very easily, so am just trying to understand one thing a day about diabetes - helps me to stop feeling overloaded.

MissB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not everybody is older. I have just been diagnosed as type 2 and I am 25!!! :)

ExBluebird

Hi Jane, I felt shocked too on first diagnosis. - The good news might be, that your fasting blood was similar to mine a few years back, and that was managed with diet/exercise. You're in the right place though, and not alone.