periods

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
Iv just recently been diagnosed t2. . Does the time of the month for ladies affect bg levels because I notice real change in my mood and attitude and am trying to follow diet. . Any suggestions would be most gratefully received. .

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear MizzRyan69,
Controlling Diabetes as a Type 2 is partly down to hormone levels, and yes, Blood Glucose levels do indeed change as a period approaches, during the period and fall back after the period. It can also be effected by stress and illness.
You will need to see what changes occur to your B/G levels throughout your monthly cycle and adjust your diet if necessary Sorry I can't be of much further help as fortunately I don't have this particular problem.

Best wishes - Lazybones.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, yes, hormones and the monthly hassle can have a huge effect, but it differs for each of us.

Pmt and a hypo are very similar for me (the desire to rip out the throat of the person daring to breathe in my personal space is a common feature).

Maybe map your BG closely and record mood swings during the crucial few days. If you spot a pattern, it may help reduce the stress next time...

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya! Well, I'm Type 1.5 and I promise you my insulin doses and sensitivity to insulin are very different in the lead up to my period ( very insulin resistant) and in the time when it starts (very insulin sensitive). Moods vary. Yet another challenge to deal with. Hey ho!

Smidge

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
it is logical that periods would affect you bg levels due to the concentration of insulin in the blood and laso the hormone levels which effect insulin resistance and also put your glucose up or down etc.
am type one but am struggling to control my sugar levels and working with the hospital to set up 4 different regimes for each week on my pump as there is such a drastic difference..