Why when newbies arrive with very high BS 20+ and go onto a Very Low Carb Diet

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to write (too interested in the curry subject matter) I was in the 4's before my afternoon meals after a few days of low carbing as I started right after I got out of the hospital. The thing is I went cold turkey and keep myself below 30grms most of the time. I am very overweight and have a high BMI... So I guess for some people, maybe the very very low carb would be the most effective way to go... But to do that you need knowledge and uderstanding of low carb so I would take into consideration the learning curve for individuals when adaptinh to LC and learning how to make it work for them...

Reactions: 5 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to write (too interested in the curry subject matter) I was in the 4's before my afternoon meals after a few days of low carbing as I started right after I got out of the hospital. The thing is I went cold turkey and keep myself below 30grms most of the time. I am very overweight and have a high BMI... So I guess for some people, maybe the very very low carb would be the most effective way to go... But to do that you need knowledge and uderstanding of low carb so I would take into consideration the learning curve for individuals when adaptinh to LC and learning how to make it work for them...

Hi Mehhh, Thanks for posting, I have just looked at you figures and they are impressive to achieve that in such short time, is amazing. Well done you. It appears you weight is also moving down nicely.

What can I say, I think we have the answer.

Neil

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
My Hba1c in January was 7.5
Since then I have cut out all bread, spuds, root veg and crisps.and fish and chips, the odd Chinese takeaway.
I only wish I had done some testing before cutting out all the above.
Surely when I go back to gp in April for blood test, it must be lower. If not SOD it, it will be back to ALL the above. I'm 64 already.

Reactions: 2 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
To all curry lovers, eaters, and enthusiasts (like me)... Spices DO contain carbs... And they do count... Ok... Small amounts... But they all add up... However of course eating a veg curry or a meat curry with couliflower rather than lovely rice and nan is the best way for us to enjoy it, but it will still have carbs we need to take into consideration... Just a thought...

Pataks Korma paste:
14.6 carbs per 100, the jar is 290.
I only use about two tablespoons, which is not even a third of the jar, and that is between two people. So that not so many carbs, and boy it tastes good.

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pataks Korma paste:
I only use about two tablespoons, which is not even a third of the jar, and that is between two people. So that not so many carbs, and boy it tastes good.
Yes I use then all the time, but I have made my own Korma a long time ago, not sure what I used except for the coconut & tomatoes.

The Carbs level is OK, but with all the onion base, 2 x lrg, 4 plum tomatoes, the carbs do add up.
Neil

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I use then all the time, but I have made my own Korma a long time ago, not sure what I used except for the coconut & tomatoes.

The Carbs level is OK, but with all the onion base, 2 x lrg, 4 plum tomatoes, the carbs do add up.
Neil

Yes, but I don't eat meat, and I couldn't just eat salad all day.
I also have IBS, green lettice kills me.
One has to eat something. ;-)

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Hba1c in January was 7.5
Since then I have cut out all bread, spuds, root veg and crisps.and fish and chips, the odd Chinese takeaway.
I only wish I had done some testing before cutting out all the above.
Surely when I go back to gp in April for blood test, it must be lower. If not SOD it, it will be back to ALL the above. I'm 64 already.
Hi Millysue,
I'm sure it will be lower, but I would recommend testing, once you have tested a particular meal you don't have to test again if your having the same and it was all ok.

You would be surprised what will spike you, are you still having fruit, i.e. Apples Oranges bananas, I can have only 1/2 an apple. I don't have cereal.

It's not just the high sometimes it's the portion size, like I can manage 1/2 a large Jacket potatoe with butter, I have probably once a week.

You say 'sod it' if it hasn't moved co's your 64 I'm 63 you could live for another 20 or 30 years, I would rather live with all my feet in tact and healthily than slowly go downhill.

I can tell you I have never ate so well as I do now & feel great.

Get a meter and test......http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm you can buy one from here.

Good luck

Neil

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, but I don't eat meat, and I couldn't just eat salad all day.
I also have IBS, green lettice kills me.
One has to eat something. ;-)
Sorry Millysue, it's like a minefield sometimes :oops:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody seems to have mentioned beta cell damage - if the damage is permanent, LCHF by itself may not be enough, even if the person is being completely compliant with the diet. I really get uncomfortable with pointing the finger at people and saying "you must be doing it wrong". What if they're doing it right and it's still not working?

Reactions: 16 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pataks Korma paste:

Oh yes, good it tastes...yummy! You have it there under control though :). I have to say I only had some curry sauce on valentines day... haven't had any all this time I've been dieting, but might soon now that we keep talking about it :hungry:

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody seems to have mentioned beta cell damage - if the damage is permanent, LCHF by itself may not be enough, even if the person is being completely compliant with the diet. I really get uncomfortable with pointing the finger at people and saying "you must be doing it wrong". What if they're doing it right and it's still not working?

I've been thinking about this too, that for a few people this might sound really annoying. I didn't think of the beta cell burnout, but you are def right. Still must be better to low carb than to not low carb, since you still need less insulin to process it... me thinking... but you won't see the results mmm

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Millysue,
I'm sure it will be lower, but I would recommend testing, once you have tested a particular meal you don't have to test again if your having the same and it was all ok.

You would be surprised what will spike you, are you still having fruit, i.e. Apples Oranges bananas, I can have only 1/2 an apple. I don't have cereal.

It's not just the high sometimes it's the portion size, like I can manage 1/2 a large Jacket potatoe with butter, I have probably once a week.

You say 'sod it' if it hasn't moved co's your 64 I'm 63 you could live for another 20 or 30 years, I would rather live with all my feet in tact and healthily than slowly go downhill.

I can tell you I have never ate so well as I do now & feel great.

Get a meter and test......http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm you can buy one from here.

Good luck

Neil

Have cut out all fruit.
I have arthritis, no don't want another 20 years.
Will not go too far down the hill, will take a big jump. Lol
Cancer got my sister 2 years ago, not the diabetes.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Indy51, I'm not a doctor, but I would have understood that most Type 2's have some if not extensive Beta-cell dysfunction, but not all, if caught very early.

I hope this thread, that I had introduced and asked the question has not pointed the finger at anyone, that was not the intention.

The question was asked from a position, where I try to help many people on this site as to LCHF, and not only did I want to discover whether it will work very quickly in lots of cases, where now I can convincingly be able to tell them so, but your statement "you must be doing it wrong" are the thoughts that have gone through my mind when helping people & I wanted to understand, which thanks to the many contributors, including yourself, I do
now.

I have learnt that for many reasons it may not work, some of which are totally human frailties and the other is medical certainties.

Thanks Neil

Reactions: 3 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have cut out all fruit.
I have arthritis, no don't want another 20 years.
Will not go too far down the hill, will take a big jump. Lol
Cancer got my sister 2 years ago, not the diabetes.

Well I do hope your numbers are low enough for you not to SOD IT:)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I saw this topic, I was so excited. I thought maybe someone here will be able to explain why I haven't been able to get my glucose levels down into the normal range after following the LCHF diet for a little more than 3 weeks. And now, I'm crying...

My first glucose reading was 282 mm/dL (15.7 mmol/l). It took me two days to get Bernstein's book, a meter, and the right foods to start the diet.

On day 1 my fasting glucose was 254 mm/dL (14.1 mmol/l), weight was 157 pounds (71 kilograms ). Today is day 27. Fasting glucose was 146 mm/dL (8.1 mmol/l); 2 hours post breakfast 137 mm/dL (7.6 mmol/l); 2 hours post lunch 144 mm/dL (8 mmol/l); weight 152 pounds (67 kilograms).

I'm in ketosis. I've lost 5 pounds (2.3 kilograms), I am making all my food from scratch, weighing it, and figuring out the carbs, fats, and protein and am staying under 40 grams of carbs. I'm drinking water. And I'm now adding sodium. I space meals 4 hours apart, and I have a snack before bed. I'm testing myself 7 times a day. I'm walking 1 - 2 miles a day, or every other day.

My lowest reading to date is 123 mg/dL (6.8 mmol/l). Goal is 83 mg/dL (4.6 mmol/l)

I don't know why it's taking so long. I've been diabetic/prediabetic for at least 10 years, untreated. It began with being hypoglycemic 35 years ago. 3 or 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity which eliminated some grains from my diet. I've never taken a diabetes medication, nor am I now. I'm assuming that I'm more insulin resistant now.

I think you all are nice, well meaning people, but I have to say many of these posts have no place on a support forum. We all are unique individuals who respond differently to diet. I'm doing a lot of reading right now, and I'm listening to lectures as I come across them. I will figure this out, and when I do, I'll let you all know.

Going to make dinner now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I saw this topic, I was so excited. I thought maybe someone here will be able to explain why I haven't been able to get my glucose levels down into the normal range after following the LCHF diet for a little more than 3 weeks. And now, I'm crying...

My first glucose reading was 282 mm/dL (15.7 mmol/l). It took me two days to get Bernstein's book, a meter, and the right foods to start the diet.

On day 1 my fasting glucose was 254 mm/dL (14.1 mmol/l), weight was 157 pounds (71 kilograms ). Today is day 27. Fasting glucose was 146 mm/dL (8.1 mmol/l); 2 hours post breakfast 137 mm/dL (7.6 mmol/l); 2 hours post lunch 144 mm/dL (8 mmol/l); weight 152 pounds (67 kilograms).

I'm in ketosis. I've lost 5 pounds (2.3 kilograms), I am making all my food from scratch, weighing it, and figuring out the carbs, fats, and protein and am staying under 40 grams of carbs. I'm drinking water. And I'm now adding sodium. I space meals 4 hours apart, and I have a snack before bed. I'm testing myself 7 times a day.

My lowest reading to date is 123 mg/dL (6.8 mmol/l). Goal is 83 mg/dL (4.6 mmol/l)

I don't know why it's taking so long. I've been diabetic/prediabetic for at least 10 years, untreated. It began with being hypoglycemic 35 years ago. 3 or 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity which eliminated some grains from my diet. I've never taken a diabetes medication, nor am I now. I'm assuming that I'm more insulin resistant now.

I think you all are nice, well meaning people, but I have to say many of these posts have no place on a support forum. We all are unique individuals who respond differently to diet. I'm doing a lot of reading right now, and I'm listening to lectures as I come across them. I will figure this out, and when I do, I'll let you all know.

Going to make dinner now.
Hi Winnie53 I'm sorry, you are crying, this is my thread and I asked the question for the very reason of your statement, we all respond differently to Diet & I wanted to understand how I could help people better anything wrong in that?

I think your figures have come down very well after 27 days of been on the LCHF diet in-particular when nothing has been done for ten years of non medication and only just starting this diet.

What I would say to you is, get Trudi Deakins Book £9.99, she is the head of XPERT HEALTH who is contracted to the NHS to give dietary advice to Diabetics Type 2. She has just done a complete 'U' turn the NHS EAT WELL plate is out and she launched her book EAT FAT it explains very simple the effects for diabetic of moving to a beneficial LCHF diet and expalins that the advice that has been given to diabetic has been wrong for a long time.

http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/shop/details/p/handbook-lowcarb-highfat-lifestyle

I'm sorry you were disappointed.

Neil

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rowan, and thank you very much for contributing.
What can I say, they are always exceptions to most rules, and as you say you know the reasons why your BS moves slowly downwards and is held up by your meds even though you are definitely Low Carbing.

It is pleasing to see your weight is still reducing, which will obviously contribute to lowering your blood sugars levels in the longer term.

Hope it continue to improve.

Thanks once again :)
Neil

Thank you, and yes, it will continue to improve, although slower than I'd hoped, but I won't be giving up. Although I'm hoping surgery later this year (because of Crohn's Disease) will make a big difference with the cause of a lot of inflammation being removed!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, and yes, it will continue to improve, although slower than I'd hoped, but I won't be giving up. Although I'm hoping surgery later this year (because of Crohn's Disease) will make a big difference with the cause of a lot of inflammation being removed!
Hi rowan
Have you ever looked into the Autoimmune Paleo dietary approach? It has had a lot of success for a variety of autoimmune conditions, including IBD. If you haven't heard of it, I'd suggest you check out Dr Terry Wahl's "The Wahls Protocol" or Sarah Ballantyne's "The Paleo Approach".

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi rowan
Have you ever looked into the Autoimmune Paleo dietary approach? It has had a lot of success for a variety of autoimmune conditions, including IBD. If you haven't heard of it, I'd suggest you check out Dr Terry Wahl's "The Wahls Protocol" or Sarah Ballantyne's "The Paleo Approach".

Thanks, I haven't looked into it at all, but I will. I've read that the paleo diet helps people with psoriasis too, and I get severe pustular psoriasis, another inflammatory auto-immune disease. My immune system really doesnt like me! ;)

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi really sorry to hear that, but pleased you may have some treatment to relieve the symptoms, good luck.
Neil