Birthday cake

acampbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Seeing my daughter in distress
My daughter 's 4th birthday is next Sunday and she was recently diagnosed with type 1. I need some ideas for a Birthday cake. She doesn't like chocolate or cream very much.
I am having difficultly finding out what type of cake has the lowest carb count. I can not bake, so it needs to be bought. All advice welcome

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could you not mention to your local baker and ask if they could do a low-sugar version, however she can still have a slice of normal cake just in a smaller quantity provided you inject the appropriate amount of insulin, if your unsure ring her DSN up tomorrow and ask.

Reactions: 6 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Waitrose do a seriously almondy range. They have mini cakes with jam or lemon curd in but as they are small aren't too bad. The larger cake has cherry and possibly marzipan I think. But again made with almond flour so lower carb. You could prob find the carb values on line.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My daughter 's 4th birthday is next Sunday and she was recently diagnosed with type 1. I need some ideas for a Birthday cake. She doesn't like chocolate or cream very much.
I am having difficultly finding out what type of cake has the lowest carb count. I can not bake, so it needs to be bought. All advice welcome

I hope your daughter has a lovely birthday and good luck with finding a cake. Have you looked for local online cake makers near to your area? as I'm sure they have been asked to make many basic cake alterations due to dislikes and allergies. Or family and friends who know someone, word of mouth possibly ?
Good luck RRB

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Waitrose do a seriously almondy range. They have mini cakes with jam or lemon curd in but as they are small aren't too bad. The larger cake has cherry and possibly marzipan I think. But again made with almond flour so lower carb. You could prob find the carb values on line.
After looking at the carb values, def not lower carb :(which is a shame

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese cake often works well if she likes that.

Alternatively as long as you know what the carb value is then just inject to cover it. Possibly worth a split dose if she isn't too bad with the shots.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
After looking at the carb values, def not lower carb :(which is a shame
They are LOWER not neccesarily Low carb. But at 8.8g of carb in each of the mini ones, that's better than your average shop bought cake. On a very Low carb diet, they wont be good. But better than 33.4g per 20th of a minions birthday cake from tesco. If you can precisly cut the cake into equal 20 pieces.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
That's strange, being in the same Range, I would have thought they were both lower. Just goes to show you have to read the labels.

acampbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just to say thanks to everyone who replied. After much searching, and lots of time checking the back of foodstuffs and ringing local backers.. I made a cheesecake ( with all low carb (er) ingredients), wrote her name on it, topped it off with 4 candles and she loved it. Mission achieved!
FYI results c. 10g per slice

Reactions: 10 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow... that is a nice low carb cake. What flavour?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sounds great, at 10 carbs per slice that's excellent :) Cheese cake is normally made with a biscuit base, so I would love to know the recipe, it would be interesting to know what was used. I hope the day was a very happy one for you all, @acampbell
Best wishes RRB

acampbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My toothy fruity cheesecake...Gluten, diary and wheat free lemon biscuits ( for the base), low fat cream cheese and no sugar added orange jelly... and small slices

Reactions: 4 people
G

gemma6549

My toothy fruity cheesecake...Gluten, diary and wheat free lemon biscuits ( for the base), low fat cream cheese and no sugar added orange jelly... and small slices

Could you post or send me the full recipe (measurements etc) and instructions :)