Bethanmp here. Need help and advice.

bethanmp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi!
I'm not average, I suppose [!]...
I have had Primary Progressive MS since 2007 which, with aggressive osteo-arthritis, means I cannot straighten my right leg or walk a single step. And my left side is paralysed. My right eye is also partially paralysed, so I have double vision. I have osteoporosis, too. Probably because I cannot exercise. I am in bed or an electric wheelchair at all times. And - probably due to the MS - I have no feeling under my left foot and for two or three inches up that heel.
In addition I have PAF [paroxysmal atrial fibrillation] which means that my heart 'flutters' rather than pumps every so often.
I then went and got breast cancer and had a mastectomy in 2012, followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Greedy, I know!!
Taking blood is a nightmare as my left arm veins are all rubbish after the chemo, my right arm veins cannot be used due to the risk of lymphoedema, my left leg has a slow pulse [peripheral arterial disorder], and the one vein that worked - an inch above my inside right ankle - seems to have failed.
So what did I do next? I went and got diabetes. Probably.
I am told that, after they found glucose in my urine, a non-fasting blood test showed a blood sugar level of "14". [No clarification of units.]
I also saw a flashing red warning on the GP's computer - something about liver function.
The consultation was very rushed as she was running way behind on her schedule.
She said she will not put me forward for any diabetes education or social or support groups as I can no longer get out of the house except by ambulance, or hideously-expensive wheelchair taxi, so I couldn't get to the meetings! Quite true.
And I do have some background knowledge, as I had gestational diabetes in both pregnancies [24 and 22 years ago - I will be 60 this Autumn] and my brother died in a diabetic [Type 1] coma when he was 33.
Why, I wonder, was I not closely monitored when I was given a medication for osteoporosis known to cause diabetes? That was back in 2012, and I have not been monitored at all since then. [The urine was tested for a totally unrelated issue.]

It is lucky I am the happiest person I know!

I have just started the very strict "Overcoming MS" diet, by Professor Jelinek, which at the moment is seafoods, plants [but not pulses or legumes], and rice or rice cakes. No red meat, no dairy, no sugar, no gluten, no fats or oil except coconut oil. I have already discovered my MS is very sensitive to yeast [Marmite], but I am seeing such good results [can lift my left arm to shoulder level, can even move my left leg a little] that I am highly motivated not to 'cheat' in any way.

MY QUESTIONS:-

I was given a prescription for Metformin - got it today - and was ushered out of the GP's room with a warning that I would probably get diarrhoea and/or nausea and/or vomiting [all a nightmare for a wheelchair user without a carer, like me!].
I would like to try the diet alone first, to see if I have stopped the diabetes in its tracks. I've been told that reducing my weight by a sixth would reverse the diabetes.
Could I / should I try this? I never had the time to ask my GP.
My reasons are:-
1] Metformin seems contraindicated if you have some heart conditions - which I do - and liver function problems - which I do - and I also have leucocytes, indicative of an infection, but was given no treatment for that!
2] I am told I cannot continue to take Aspirin or Naproxen [for my heart condition and osteo-arthritic pain respectively] if I have diabetes. Is this true?
I am unable to take any other pain killers - not even Morphine works - and I am seriously reluctant to give up the Naproxen as, even with it, my pain is more than 9 out of 10 all the time - every hour, every day...

I am overweight, but losing weight fast on this diet [started 19 days ago]. I live near Epsom, just South of London.
If you have read this far, thank you!

[And you have probably noticed that my profile photo is of an albino squirrel; she has lived in my garden for 4 years and I call her the White Hanky.]

Reactions: 12 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Cannot believe what has been visited upon you so I'm amazed with your outlook .... can't say I'd have that much courage.

Yes, metformin can cause the symptoms you've outlined but that does not happen with everyone. Me? No side effects whatsoever. But with you, I would make sure you consult with your GP given your other concerns.

I wish you well :)

Mike

Reactions: 8 people

bethanmp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Mike!

As I was writing I was thinking I really need to write to my GP and get clarification.
[If I thought that having a temper tantrum on the floor would help, I'd be doing that.
But I'd never be able to get back up into the wheelchair!! <big grin>]

The good news is that after the District Nurse's attempts to get blood, yesterday, [second nurse, 6th attempt] they are going to write on the top page of my notes that I really do need a phlebotomist using a syringe, and not a nurse using a "butterfly".
Which is what I told them - and the GP - in the first place...

Reactions: 4 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hello and welcome .
Your such a strong person, life has dealt you a really bad hand.
I hope you get the help you need.
I'm counting my blessings and wish you well

Lorraine

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks Mike!

As I was writing I was thinking I really need to write to my GP and get clarification.
[If I thought that having a temper tantrum on the floor would help, I'd be doing that.
But I'd never be able to get back up into the wheelchair!! <big grin>]

The good news is that after the District Nurse's attempts to get blood, yesterday, [second nurse, 6th attempt] they are going to write on the top page of my notes that I really do need a phlebotomist using a syringe, and not a nurse using a "butterfly".
Which is what I told them - and the GP - in the first place...

Bottle that determination and sell it. I'll be first in line. You put me to shame. You are just amazing !!

MANY here could learn from you :) Keep well

Mike :)

Reactions: 9 people

bethanmp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, Mike, Thanks Lorraine.
A diabetic friend, who lives reasonably close, has offered to come round and test my blood glucose tonight after work, bless her, so at least I will know what my blood sugar level is right now.
[She has asked me to eat something sweet two hours before she arrives.]

I am keeping my fingers crossed my diet has worked... well actually I can't cross my [arthritic / MS-affected] fingers on either hand, but you get the picture.
<laughs>

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, Mike, Thanks Lorraine.
A diabetic friend, who lives reasonably close, has offered to come round and test my blood glucose tonight after work, bless her, so at least I will know what my blood sugar level is right now.
[She has asked me to eat something sweet two hours before she arrives.]

I am keeping my fingers crossed my diet has worked... well actually I can't cross my [arthritic / MS-affected] fingers on either hand, but you get the picture.
<laughs>

Hi and welcome from me.

I echo all the sentiments expressed above by the other posters. What an amazing and inspiring person you are.

I can't help wondering why your friend wants you to eat something sweet before she tests you. Did she explain? It seems an odd thing to ask without good reason. Eating something sweet will raise your levels within that 2 hours. It would make more sense for you to buy your own meter (as most of us type 2's have to do because the NHS won't prescribe test strips for us unless we are on insulin or similar drugs.) You can then start to formulate some sort of eating plan by doing what we call "eating to your meter". This means testing before you eat, then again 2 hours after your first bite. This tells you what that meal has done to your levels and enables you to tweak the contents, reduce a few things, or avoid some others. (the carbohydrates will be to blame for any rises)

Wishing you well, and good luck on your diabetic journey.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
She will have her reasons for asking you to eat something sweet Beth ...... (if that's your name :))

Take care Mike :)

bethanmp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well!
Last night I had a Honey Mug Cake - a cake cooked by microwaving the ingredients in a mug.
It had two tablespoons of honey and three of sugar! [Which meant I had a sugar rush - my first sugar in more than a fortnight.]
I didn't think there could be a much greater challenge to my insulin production!

Anyway, exactly 2 hours after that my friend tested my blood glucose.
It was 7.3.
So she is fairly certain that I am not diabetic!
And I am very glad I had not started the Metformin, as there can be no confusion that it was because I was taking it that the blood glucose was so low.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Beth,

I would do that test again, this time without the sugar overload. 7.3 after 2 hours is one thing ...... and the opinion of your friend is another.

If you dropped back (which would be expected at the 2 hour point) I would be interested what it was at the one hour mark. I fear it would have been high

Mike :)

Reactions: 6 people

bethanmp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, Mike.

She's left the kit, so I'll attempt a 'one hour after lunch' this afternoon.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yes Beth ..... the one hour spike is one thing .... the fall back at 2 hours is another. They are relevant in terms of understanding how your body reacts to what you eat.

Take care

Mike

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
In some respects I'm not surprised Beth ........ that said, can you tell us what you ate?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi!
I'm not average, I suppose [!]...
I have had Primary Progressive MS since 2007 which, with aggressive osteo-arthritis, means I cannot straighten my right leg or walk a single step. And my left side is paralysed. My right eye is also partially paralysed, so I have double vision. I have osteoporosis, too. Probably because I cannot exercise. I am in bed or an electric wheelchair at all times. And - probably due to the MS - I have no feeling under my left foot and for two or three inches up that heel.
In addition I have PAF [paroxysmal atrial fibrillation] which means that my heart 'flutters' rather than pumps every so often.
I then went and got breast cancer and had a mastectomy in 2012, followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Greedy, I know!!
Taking blood is a nightmare as my left arm veins are all rubbish after the chemo, my right arm veins cannot be used due to the risk of lymphoedema, my left leg has a slow pulse [peripheral arterial disorder], and the one vein that worked - an inch above my inside right ankle - seems to have failed.
So what did I do next? I went and got diabetes. Probably.
I am told that, after they found glucose in my urine, a non-fasting blood test showed a blood sugar level of "14". [No clarification of units.]
I also saw a flashing red warning on the GP's computer - something about liver function.
The consultation was very rushed as she was running way behind on her schedule.
She said she will not put me forward for any diabetes education or social or support groups as I can no longer get out of the house except by ambulance, or hideously-expensive wheelchair taxi, so I couldn't get to the meetings! Quite true.
And I do have some background knowledge, as I had gestational diabetes in both pregnancies [24 and 22 years ago - I will be 60 this Autumn] and my brother died in a diabetic [Type 1] coma when he was 33.
Why, I wonder, was I not closely monitored when I was given a medication for osteoporosis known to cause diabetes? That was back in 2012, and I have not been monitored at all since then. [The urine was tested for a totally unrelated issue.]

It is lucky I am the happiest person I know!

I have just started the very strict "Overcoming MS" diet, by Professor Jelinek, which at the moment is seafoods, plants [but not pulses or legumes], and rice or rice cakes. No red meat, no dairy, no sugar, no gluten, no fats or oil except coconut oil. I have already discovered my MS is very sensitive to yeast [Marmite], but I am seeing such good results [can lift my left arm to shoulder level, can even move my left leg a little] that I am highly motivated not to 'cheat' in any way.

MY QUESTIONS:-

I was given a prescription for Metformin - got it today - and was ushered out of the GP's room with a warning that I would probably get diarrhoea and/or nausea and/or vomiting [all a nightmare for a wheelchair user without a carer, like me!].
I would like to try the diet alone first, to see if I have stopped the diabetes in its tracks. I've been told that reducing my weight by a sixth would reverse the diabetes.
Could I / should I try this? I never had the time to ask my GP.
My reasons are:-
1] Metformin seems contraindicated if you have some heart conditions - which I do - and liver function problems - which I do - and I also have leucocytes, indicative of an infection, but was given no treatment for that!
2] I am told I cannot continue to take Aspirin or Naproxen [for my heart condition and osteo-arthritic pain respectively] if I have diabetes. Is this true?
I am unable to take any other pain killers - not even Morphine works - and I am seriously reluctant to give up the Naproxen as, even with it, my pain is more than 9 out of 10 all the time - every hour, every day...

I am overweight, but losing weight fast on this diet [started 19 days ago]. I live near Epsom, just South of London.
If you have read this far, thank you!

[And you have probably noticed that my profile photo is of an albino squirrel; she has lived in my garden for 4 years and I call her the White Hanky.]
one of the girls here has MS and found the LCHF diet helped, it's also good for blood glucose levels, BP and bloods
https://www.google.com.au/#q=lchf+ms

beth you may need to get proper tests, they say anytime over 11.1 and over 7.1 of a morning is positive for diabetes testing..the Dr may do the 3 month average test called the HBA1c

C

catherinecherub

This thread has been created as it was getting lost in another thread.

Hi @bethanmp and welcome to the forum.
You are one courageous lady and I hope the forum will be of help to you.:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, and a pleasure to meet you.

@alliebee also has MS, so I have tagged her so she will see your thread next time she is around. But she hasn't been very well lately, so it might be a while til she looks in.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Hi Beth

Some newly diagnosed diabetics (not neccessarily members of this forum) feel sorry for themselves but the NHS needs to find out what keeps you so positive and prescribe it.

Take care and keep asking your questions here - if members can't give you an answer they'll advise you on what other action you might need to take.