Have you ever brought food where you weren't supposed to?

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband and I go to a monthly antique fair. There is absolutely *nothing* I can eat there, so I bring my own snacks every month. We always buy a tea or coffee, then I eat what I brought in the cafeteria. Yesterday I saw someone (who worked there) looking at me while I nibbled my cheese and nuts. I wondered if she was going to say something to me, but she turned away. If she did, I was simply going to tell her that I am diabetic and that I cannot eat what they serve (stuffed potatoes, sandwiches, chips, crisps, quiche, pies and chocolate bars). An no, I'm not paying 4 quid for a sandwich simply to eat the *one* piece of meat on it!). The fact that we pay 9 quid to get in and 6 quid for two coffees, I think I can eat my cheese in peace (and I have so far).

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Do you ever sneak food into places because they simply have nothing you can eat?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would take coffee in a thermos too!
I'm not jeopardising my health so if I can't work something out then yes, I'll take my own food.

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm taking my own food everywhere I go now, it would be far too tempting otherwise ;)

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

My husband and I go to a monthly antique fair. There is absolutely *nothing* I can eat there, so I bring my own snacks every month. We always buy a tea or coffee, then I eat what I brought in the cafeteria. Yesterday I saw someone (who worked there) looking at me while I nibbled my cheese and nuts. I wondered if she was going to say something to me, but she turned away. If she did, I was simply going to tell her that I am diabetic and that I cannot eat what they serve (stuffed potatoes, sandwiches, chips, crisps, quiche, pies and chocolate bars). An no, I'm not paying 4 quid for a sandwich simply to eat the *one* piece of meat on it!). The fact that we pay 9 quid to get in and 6 quid for two coffees, I think I can eat my cheese in peace (and I have so far).

Do you ever sneak food into places because they simply have nothing you can eat?
Perhaps if you spoke to them they might become more aware of the needs of people with diabetes and maybe even spot an opportunity. There could be people who don't even go in for a coffee because there is nothing for them to eat.
I think it's reasonable for a cafe to expect people sitting at their tables to actually buy their produce rather than bring their own and prevent paying customers from sitting down. Sadly, just because the coffee is £3 a cup doesn't really give you any automatic right to take your own food. Your dietary needs based on medical reasons would hopefully illicit a bit of discretion from the proprietors, but it's not guaranteed.
I like the question "Do you ever sneak food into places . . . . ?" Just using the word sneak might suggest that even you recognise this as not being acceptable. Please take this in a light hearted way, I reckon if you were to point out the gap in their menu, you never know.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm self employed, so it's just me, but being Coeliac and type 1, I take food with me when out and about ( especially days out), it's a necessity. I take a flask of coffee too, even though I'm a big tea drinker, I can't stand tea from a thermos it tastes
awful:yuck: Enjoy your lovely cheese and nuts fallgal :happy: :hungry:

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps if you spoke to them they might become more aware of the needs of people with diabetes and maybe even spot an opportunity. There could be people who don't even go in for a coffee because there is nothing for them to eat.
I think it's reasonable for a cafe to expect people sitting at their tables to actually buy their produce rather than bring their own and prevent paying customers from sitting down. Sadly, just because the coffee is £3 a cup doesn't really give you any automatic right to take your own food. Your dietary needs based on medical reasons would hopefully illicit a bit of discretion from the proprietors, but it's not guaranteed.
I like the question "Do you ever sneak food into places . . . . ?" Just using the word sneak might suggest that even you recognise this as not being acceptable. Please take this in a light hearted way, I reckon if you were to point out the gap in their menu, you never know.

I have mentioned it. Without naming the specific place, it is a huge, corporate center. The people that work there are just kids. Perhaps I should write a letter to the headquarters. Thanks. :)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just wanted to add that I would not take my own food into a stand-alone cafe or other establishment that is solely for eating/drinking beverages. The place to which I was referring is an events venue, and we are there for about 4-5 hours at a time. The "cafe" is a very small part of it.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This happened to me once at the Ace Cafe in London.
I had been asked to bring my FLHTCUI Harley special to the Ace Cafe for a display by our friends, at Battistinnis who had done a lot of work on it for me.
Hundreds upon hundreds of people came to see the bikes, so the Ace Cafe were making a lot of money out of us being there.
Then I was told, despite buying drinks there, and being unable to eat anything they sold.
To stop eating my own food or leave. I hadn't gone into the cafe to eat it, I was just next to my bike in the car park.
Needless to say, we have never and would never go back there.

Whoa! I don't blame you. That was horrible what they did, especially because you weren't even IN the cafe! :mad:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shrinking violet that I am, I do feel I should stand up for myself and diabetics in general when this sort of thing happens. Some people are very good at being angry; I'm not. But I'm quite good at negotiating, and that's the way forward for me. I think it's right not to attack the front-line workers for doing their job. Go for the bosses. I speak as a boss's husband.
The prices charged at your antiques market, @Fallgal, and the Ace Cafe, @Dibbles1, are another matter. Write letters and wave banners.

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As my OH is a former restaurateur, he would have a wholly different view to this.

The proprietor is running a business, to make profit. Some foods/dishes are more profitable than others, and as such are more likely to appear on a menu than those yeilding less. Of course restuaranteurs care about food, and presenting a varied menu, but if they elect not to cater for x, y or z, then that has to be their choice. To then allow someone to unpack their tin foil to consume their own choices just isn't going to work. That person will be taking up a seat and table, which isn't earning it's rent, at that point. He would rather someone buying their own (wholly appropriate, in their opinions, or they wouldn't have it on the menu) fare, and contributing to their overheads.

Let's face it, allowing it for one on the basis of their diet just makes for open season and potentially a commercial food outlet turning into a financial black hole picnic area.

Frankly, in your shoes, I would have been nibbling on some nuts as I went around, or looked for a place to perch as I snacked.

It's their business, so they write the rules for their establishment. Seems fair to me.

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I used to go to the cinema with my now teenager, I would take a packed lunch. Also when I was out with a friend who was looking for a wedding outfit, she did like to pop into Wimpy/Macdonalds or Burger King, so while we were in Burger King, I discreetly ate my own food from a tupperware tub, but my friend did buy me a coffee, Also at Southampton boat show last year, we sat at a small eatery place and I had packed lunches for me, teenager and her friend, we sat and ate our food quietly and with no problem from other visitors or staff, so maybe lucky. Sometimes the problem eating out is often the cost and the type of foods available.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Personally I wouldn't have the nerve to do that, I would consider it taking up table space that someone else could use for a paid meal. As a matter of interest why couldn't you have the quiche? All you had to do was leave the pastry or just walk the pastry off by going around the fair.

Most places if you ask will Russell up an omelette and half a dozen chips wont hurt you.
Bottom line is though if the menu isn't suitable then take a flask of soup or a picnic lunch and eat it in the car.
Like RRB I'm coeliac as well, but most places will fall over backwards to provide a meal if you state your requirements.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I used to go to the cinema with my now teenager, I would take a packed lunch. Also when I was out with a friend who was looking for a wedding outfit, she did like to pop into Wimpy/Macdonalds or Burger King, so while we were in Burger King, I discreetly ate my own food from a tupperware tub, but my friend did buy me a coffee, Also at Southampton boat show last year, we sat at a small eatery place and I had packed lunches for me, teenager and her friend, we sat and ate our food quietly and with no problem from other visitors or staff, so maybe lucky. Sometimes the problem eating out is often the cost and the type of foods available.

I sympathise with your comment regarding financial implications, but that rubs the other way too. Why should any business person be expected to let members of the public use their resources - tables, chairs, heat, light, wifi and goodwill, without expectation of meeting their own objectives of making money.

The catering trade, at some levels is borderline profitable ( and at others highly so), so a member of the public taking up a table could have an impact on the vendors ability to feed their own family. I know that probably seems an extreme example, but your eating in his establishment costs him money.

As a regular Southampton goer, I know there are plenty of areas available where picnic style lunches can be consumed, as well as the more costly champagne and oyster bars and Guiness tents.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
After three posts on the same message, it's the first time we went to Southampton boat show, if I was asked to stop on move on from the small oulet, it wouldn't of been a problem and I would of moved. instantly There were not a lot of spaces to eat, and having my arm still in plaster it was a wonderful treat to actually go out and enjoy the water events and the sunshime after such an horrendous August.
I have appeared to upset or angered you, that, was not my intention at all, ever. That's it from me on the matter.

Regards RRB

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After three posts on the same message, it's the first time we went to Southampton boat show, if I was asked to stop on move on from the small oulet, it wouldn't of been a problem and I would of moved. instantly There were not a lot of spaces to eat, and having my arm still in plaster it was a wonderful treat to actually go out and enjoy the water events and the sunshime after such an horrendous August.
I have appeared to upset or angered you, that, was not my intention at all, ever. That's it from me on the matter.

Regards RRB
Apologies for the multiple post. The Internet here is very poor at the moment, with messages appearing not to post. I have deleted the duplicates now.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Regards RRB

Now you're being silly. If I had wanted to offend you, I would have made a better job of it than that.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

My daughter has a weekend job as a barista. The very worst customers are the ones who get a free beverage from Waitrose then take a table in her cafe to drink it! Seriously, how cheeky is that? :jimlad:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My daughter has a weekend job as a barista. The very worst customers are the ones who get a free beverage from Waitrose then take a table in her cafe to drink it! Seriously, how cheeky is that? :jimlad:

Do the staff have a word with the customers? or is it just let it go ?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My local franchise coffee shop manager lets me eat something from the deli over the street as she knows I can't eat their grub and that I'll be buying several drinks from them. I am thankful that she is so understanding and is bending the company rules somewhat( i think it is actually good business as it's better to get the three pound for the coffee than nothing) but I don't expect it and do try and eat my stuff discretely. If it were a small independent place I'd eat on the street first as I'd not want to take up a space that others might use who were buying food.