paddy my cat saves my life

sgc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not being pedantic. HYPO means too little. HYPER means too much. With a Hypo the blood has too little sugar. The brain needs more sugar than any other organ to function properly. Deprive it of sugar and it closes down. You feel faint to begin with and perhaps behave strangely - early warning signs of a Hypo. Unconsciousness may follow. It is important not to confuse this state with a diabetic coma which is the result of HYPERglycaemia. You treat a Hypo with sugar. You wouldnt want to give sugar to any one who already has too much in their blood stream. Often people with low blood sugar are taken to hos[ital. This is only my opinion but hospitalisation is not always necessary with even a bad Hypo. if for example the person can be given something sweet they will recover. If a person is unable to take food or drink then an injection of Glucagon will usually bring the person back because it causes the liver to release its store of Glycogen. After such an injection you must eat to replenish the liver. Indeed as you may have found if a person with a Hypo is left long enough there is often spontaneous recovery as the liver kicks in by itself to release glycogen. All of this applies only when you have too little glucose in your blood. My GP used to insist that I had a Glucagon kit in the fridge all the time. She said she would be very annoyed if she was called out to me because of a bad Hypo and there was no Glucagon to give me. I think all persons who are insulin dependent should know how Hypos occur and what to do . As important - others should know as well.

Hi...wow thats great!!

I too own a wonder Kitten!
A couple of weeks before christmas i screached to a halt whilst driving along the road as there was a tiny kitten curled up in the road. I scooped him up and took him to the vets and was told he was very young , under weight and had cat flu. Anyway the next day the vets rang to say he'd made it through the night but would i mind nursing him well again with their help then they will try and rehome him. I said yes even though i'm not really a cat person and own two dogs! To cut the story short i basically fell in love with 'William' as did the dogs and we nursed him well and he's ended up staying.
On New Years eve i hadn't been feeling well so decided not to join in with celebrations and stayed at home in front of the fire and watch the tele (party pooper eh!).I fell asleep and the next thing i knew William was up on my chest and was frantically fussing about my face and was pushing his nose right up my nose!! When i woke i was hypo 2.1.At first i wasn't conviced he'd detected my hypo but since then he's done it 3 more times and it's always when i'm asleep in the middle of the night. I now firmly believe that William can detect my hypos! I owe the world to William the wonder cat! , i totally adore him he's very precious to me and i cannot thank him enough for being my little guardian angel! xx

Reactions: 14 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...wow thats great!!

A couple of weeks before christmas i screached to a halt whilst driving along the road as there was a tiny kitten curled up in the road. I scooped him up and took him to the vets and was told he was very young , under weight and had cat flu. Anyway the next day the vets rang to say he'd made it through the night but would i mind nursing him well again with their help then they will try and rehome him. I said yes even though i'm not really a cat person and own two dogs! To cut the story short i basically fell in love with 'William' as did the dogs and we nursed him well and he's ended up staying.
On New Years eve i hadn't been feeling well so decided not to join in with celebrations and stayed at home in front of the fire and watch the tele (party pooper eh!).I fell asleep and the next thing i knew William was up on my chest and was frantically fussing about my face and was pushing his nose right up my nose!! When i woke i was hypo 2.1.At first i wasn't conviced he'd detected my hypo but since then he's done it 3 more times and it's always when i'm asleep in the middle of the night. I now firmly believe that William can detect my hypos! I owe the world to William the wonder cat! , i totally adore him he's very precious to me and i cannot thank him enough for being my little guardian angel! xx
That is lovely. Thank goodness for William! All the best to you and what a wonderful story.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Soooo glad to hear you're ok after the near miss. And WOW at your super clever cat. GO PADDY. :)
Ali. X

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi...wow thats great!!

Ah how amazing. Well done William. Glad you're okay. Hope my cat would do the same! Take care.

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a stray cat that was a great comfort after my husband died and I was on my own. He always came up to the bedroom and would lie on the bed until I settled down to sleep. He then took up a position in front of the airing cupboard where he could see me. One night I felt him on me, nudging my chin with his head and miaowing loudly. I tried to push him away but he would not be budged. I was hypo. He must have smelt something different about me as he alerted me on several occasions. Never underestimate animals; they are wonderful.

Reactions: 11 people

Trident2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
late on Sunday evening after felling unwell for a few days and blood sugars a bit up and down I fell into a diabetic coma, my wife had gone to bed around 9.45 and I stayed up watching telly, the next thing I remember is coming around surrounded by a paramedic and my wife wondering what was going on, I had been given two lots of glucose solution and my blood glucose was still only 1.4, my wife told me that our cat Padfoot [ paddy ] had gone into our bedroom and pawed at her face to alert her and then brought her to me, I am very proud of paddy because another hour and I might not have made it, thank you Paddy my hero.
What a lovely story. Cats are fantastic friends ☺️

stratospheric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worms
My cat wakes me up during night if im going below 3.5mmol. It's scary and amazing at the same time. Penny is my hero
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1425369978.555279.jpg

Reactions: 11 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Cute story and just good news all round. Better than the dross on the tv and radio news. Paddy the Supercat lol :cat::)

Reactions: 2 people

stratospheric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worms
She looks just like my teenagers cat, Pebbles ( teenager choose name when she was 9 ) <3
Heh it's just that its He ;) when i took him to the vets for first time big was my surprise to find out that instead of female cat that i believed i adopted i got male. It was too late to change the name as he was already used to it :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Heh it's just that its He ;) when i took him to the vets for first time big was my surprise to find out that instead of female cat that i believed i adopted i got male. It was too late to change the name as he was already used to it :)

lol, I like the unusual. Same with our cat Harley ( he's old now) I was told HE was a SHE, so took HER to the vets for a check up, and vet said, erm she is a he, a boy :oops: he's 16 this year and Pebbles will be 6 <3 <3

stratospheric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worms
lol, I like the unusual. Same with our cat Harley ( he's old now) I was told HE was a SHE, so took HER to the vets for a check up, and vet said, erm she is a he, a boy :oops: he's 16 this year and Pebbles will be 6 <3 <3
I know xD and after few months i decided he needs a friend so got a boy kitten Tibby..who turned out to be girl. Now they r both 1 year old. I wish i wud have more space so i can have more cats lol im totally one of the crazy cat ladies just a bit too young lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know xD and after few months i decided he needs a friend so got a boy kitten Tibby..who turned out to be girl. Now they r both 1 year old. I wish i wud have more space so i can have more cats lol im totally one of the crazy cat ladies just a bit too young lol

lol I'm there already :rolleyes: :cat:( but most animals though) but absolutely love meow, meow's <3

kjjames1972

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderful story! My cats have a tendency to harass my husband if his blood sugars are getting low. Must be the smell...

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Absolutely devastated, today we've had to say goodbye to Paddy our hero cat, he saved me and i wish I could have done the same for you , sleep tight my beautiful x