Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now, I'm going to be the horrid one, but if I felt so inclined, I could read your last post as emotional blackmail.

Muggle - you have to want to do this for yourself. If you don't want that, then I suggest you invest some time to find out why, and work on that. Because, you are the absolute constant in your life; not anyone else. Yes, of course we can take (and as importantly, give) support from and to others, but if we don't want it for ourselves, it's the proverbial house built on sand.

I know you and Scottie were supporting each other, but if she, or anyone else for that matter (as these comments are general, although directed to you, in this instance) chooses to do things a different way, they have to be respected, no matter how bewildering it can be.

You have done well, and can continue to do well, but you have to be clear what you are doing and for whom you are doing it.
Clearly I am doing this for myself. I found this forum before i had even heard of scotty. I was simply pouring out my feelings to millysue. No emotional blackmail intended and if @Scotty1 feels i have done this then it was never the intention.

BUT I am also doing it for my children because I am the only constant they have in their lives. I have a disabled son too who's needs are much greater than his siblings.
We all get down. We all - I presume - feel like and indeed do fall off the wagon from time to time, and expressing my sadness to millysue and talking things over and reasoning things out went a long way to stopping me doing so today what ever my reasons behind feeling the way I did.
Deep down I knew @scottie1 didn't really want to leave this forum, I just didn't want her to be chased away and left feeling hurt by someone who meant well but could have been interpreted to have been either negative, overly critical or interfering even if that wasn't their intention. It is very easy to be misunderstood on forums, as I too have just found out.

Reactions: 3 people

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocado are not cheap, you could buy a large cauliflower for the same amount of money. You could do more with a cauliflower
Im not the most adventurous when it comes to food I have to say and do tend to stick to the same old tried and tested. Im curious what it will taste like and how it will feel in my mouth, slimy, crunchy, moist, dry etc. yes im a strange one when it comes to food lol

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could do laps of the house, or trips up and down the stairs to get the walking steps in. Lots of folks on here do that.
Physical activity has never been a problem for me. I used to walk 8 miles 5 days per week taking my son to and from school - 2 miles there and 2 miles back twice per day. I walk to get my shopping, carry it all home myself and have an extremely boisterous dog that doesn't tire even after 8 miles!! That was until I was taken seriously ill over the 2014 xmas holiday, with a chest infection which progressed to brittle asthma. Truly terrifying. I am building myself back up slowly having been weaned off the steroids, stopped needing the nebuliser and other inhalers that made me feel dreadful, and actually feel much more inclined to get out and walk since starting my new eating plan. And when ive shifted some more fat I am going to start swimming again. Cannot wait for that

Reactions: 2 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Clearly I am doing this for myself. I found this forum before i had even heard of scotty. I was simply pouring out my feelings to millysue. No emotional blackmail intended and if @Scotty1 feels i have done this then it was never the intention.

BUT I am also doing it for my children because I am the only constant they have in their lives. I have a disabled son too who's needs are much greater than his siblings.
We all get down. We all - I presume - feel like and indeed do fall off the wagon from time to time, and expressing my sadness to millysue and talking things over and reasoning things out went a long way to stopping me doing so today what ever my reasons behind feeling the way I did.
Deep down I knew @scottie1 didn't really want to leave this forum, I just didn't want her to be chased away and left feeling hurt by someone who meant well but could have been interpreted to have been either negative, overly critical or interfering even if that wasn't their intention. It is very easy to be misunderstood on forums, as I too have just found out.

I may be wrong, but I think the root cause of our problem ( this is directed at, Scottie, Muggle AND myself ) is depression.
Yes we are all three diabetic. You make think that this forum should be about diabetes only. But I do feel we have been helping one another. In my book that got to be a good thing.

scottie1

Bg upon waking was 16.4, haven't had any breakfast but had some Ryvita's for lunch with ham. Will test again at 2.30pm to see if it's gone down. That's not a bad fasting test for me but still needs work.

I am findng it hard to find a breakfast that I like, am craving Weetabix. I don't want eggs or anything cooked so it's a tough one.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be wrong, but I think the root cause of our problem ( this is directed at, Scottie, Muggle AND myself ) is depression.
Yes we are all three diabetic. You make think that this forum should be about diabetes only. But I do feel we have been helping one another. In my book that got to be a good thing.
Spot on millysue, both you and Scottie have been a huge support to me during a drastic period of change in my life. And where once I reached out to my old friend chocolate ive been reaching out to my new friends millysue and scottie1. And I will be there whenever you two need to reach out to me, for what ever reason, diabetes, depression, or anything else :)

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bg upon waking was 16.4, haven't had any breakfast but had some Ryvita's for lunch with ham. Will test again at 2.30pm to see if it's gone down. That's not a bad fasting test for me but still needs work.

I am findng it hard to find a breakfast that I like, am craving Weetabix. I don't want eggs or anything cooked so it's a tough one.
That's a good reading for you! Are you feeling more settled now? Has the light headed feeling gone away? Im lucky that I love egg mayo so have been having that, the strange thing is eggs seem to make me sneeze and my eyes stream, so I had cheese on toast this morning. It's hard trying to find an alternative that you're going to enjoy as much as what you ate before starting lchf isn't it.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Scottie, when you find that breakfast do let me know. I can't face a fry up first thing in the morning. I would like toast, but thats off the menue. I'm still having porridge with water. If I don't eat I get headaches.

scottie1

That's a good reading for you! Are you feeling more settled now? Has the light headed feeling gone away? Im lucky that I love egg mayo so have been having that, the strange thing is eggs seem to make me sneeze and my eyes stream, so I had cheese on toast this morning. It's hard trying to find an alternative that you're going to enjoy as much as what you ate before starting lchf isn't it.

Still feel very emotinal, and still light-headed and a bit fuzzy. But I'm sure it will pass.

That's a funny thing for eggs to do isn't it? How strange. What bread are you using? I know I was advised to get Hovis Seed Sensations but at approx, 14g carbs (I think), it seems such a lot of my daily intake to use. Does it fill you up?

scottie1

Hi Scottie, when you find that breakfast do let me know. I can't face a fry up first thing in the morning. I would like toast, but thats off the menue. I'm still having porridge with water. If I don't eat I get headaches.

I can't have porridge now, which I miss. It makes my BG go sky high. I too would like toast but it has too much carbs.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just use warburtons brown, 13g carb in a slice, and plenty melted cheese on. I love cathedral city cheese!! I had that at 8ish and im just getting hungry now so I think it's been a good filler. I only have those 2 slices, not exactly sure what other carbs im having but ive just got that new carb and cal app for my phone so that will help me keep count. I hope you feel better in yourself soon, ive been so worried about you since last night. Sending you a big hug hope it helps ((((((HUG!!!!))))))

scottie1

I forgot about this list, another member sent it to me and I hope they don't mind me posting it. It's a list of all the foods we can have whilst low carbing.

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Bratwurst sausages (lidl) great taste & normal sausage substitute.
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Dry Packet Dressing & Dip Mixes
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard
Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichokes
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt
Greek yogurt, plain, full fat.

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Dark Chocolate 70% or more Cocoa (Good when cooking)

Ryvita. (A good replacement for bread.)
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed
Flax seed
Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc)
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda.
Low Carb Tortillas,
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.
Try to avoid wheat based products as much as possible, including cereals

Drinks
Bottled Water (Drink 2-3 ltrs/day
Coffee (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Tea (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal

scottie1

I just use warburtons brown, 13g carb in a slice, and plenty melted cheese on. I love cathedral city cheese!! I had that at 8ish and im just getting hungry now so I think it's been a good filler. I only have those 2 slices, not exactly sure what other carbs im having but ive just got that new carb and cal app for my phone so that will help me keep count. I hope you feel better in yourself soon, ive been so worried about you since last night. Sending you a big hug hope it helps ((((((HUG!!!!))))))

I'm sorry I worried you, I really didn't mean to. I think I may buy some bread and see what it does to my BG. I too love Catherdral City but I normally have it toasted on Ryvitas.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't give it another thought, you can worry me all you need just as long as you're ok. Isn't it the best cheese. Just checked my bread and it's actually Kingsmill

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Clivethedrive ive still to try an avocado. I will have money for groceries tomorrow so I will try one if I remember to buy one lol. Never tried a duck egg either or heard of chickpea flour! I enjoy a stir fry but im guessing my old sauces won't be much good now
Hi muggle, on the list of flours best is coconut,then almond, chickpea( or gram flour) is ok in small amounts , its used to make chapati's ( amongst) other things

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi muggle, on the list of flours best is coconut,then almond, chickpea( or gram flour) is ok in small amounts , its used to make chapati's ( amongst) other things
Ive just bought some coconut and almond flour from AMAZON to make a mug cake, someone here very kindly gave me the recipe, so will make it in my moment of weakness ;)
I shall let you know how me and avocados get on when i try one. Getting so adventurous in my old age lol

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Milliesue, try this...for one, an egg,2 fluid ozs of milk,1 tablespoon of almond flour, 1 tablespoon of coconut flour, mix thoroughly( add any spices you like)then fry in olive oil for 5 mins, ( dont turn it over) just put it under a medium grill until its nicely brown,almost like bread,goes well with anything::))

scottie1

BG 2 hours after eating 17.2. Not good and I have only had Ryvitas and ham. Gettng really frustrated., not that I am going to give up or anything like that but still frustrated. My fasting test was better than this.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BG 2 hours after eating 17.2. Not good and I have only had Ryvitas and ham. Gettng really frustrated., not that I am going to give up or anything like that but still frustrated. My fasting test was better than this.
Did you test right before you are? If im understanding right, you test right before your first mouthful of food and the. 2 hrs later and you aim for a rise of no more than 2.0. Your levels don't seem to have risen too drastically after eating. Again this is if I am understanding things right