Post meal blood sugars in pregnancy

mrsguiseley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone!

I am 5-6 weeks pregnant with my second baby and I am experiencing a similar problem as I did in my first pregnancy - apologies in advance for the short notes/bullet points, I'm just trying to explain as clearly as possible!

My insulin pump is set up so that my doses are delivered over a 2 hour window (2 hours is the shortest time period I can choose for active insulin). I know that my basal insulin levels are set correctly as are my carb ratios and sensitivities for the bolus wizard.
I know that the 1 hour post meal blood sugar should be 7.8 or below.
My post meal blood glucose 1 hour after eating is sometimes above 7.8 but is at the correct level of 3.5-5.9 by 2 hours after eating, so....

Do I need to increase my bolus doses to bring the 1 hour reading lower and be prepared to have a small snack to prevent a hypo as the 2 hour insulin window finishes?
Do I need to think about meals being lower carb to avoid the spike in the first place? (Though of course bearing in mind that I'm more prone to hypos at the moment so do need to include some carbs in my meal choices)
Should I try - where possible - to have my meal time insulin a bit before I'm going to eat?
Or do I just need to relax in the knowledge that 2 hours after my meal, my blood sugars are where they need to be?

As a bit of extra info, my son is 14 months old so I'm very active chasing round after him! He was born following a very happy and healthy Diabetic pregnancy and was born with no Diabetes complications for both him or I - here's hoping for a repeat performance with his brother or sister!

Thank you for any advice/tips in advance x

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
leaving the pregnancy bit out if it was me trying to get the mid meal spike down, getting the dose in earlier would be my first choice...........

and of course keeping the carbs down as low as comfortable will help as well as choosing lower GI foods that have less of an effect on the BG.....

with the pregnancy in mind I wouldn't know about what the criteria is to meet, but a 7-8, 2 hours post meal seems OK and I would assume wont be doing any harm at all........but you always want to do the best you can I understand.....:)

good luck with it all..........

Reactions: 2 people

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy! I has exactly the same problem as you in my pregnancy (also on a pump) and tried all 3 of the things you suggested. I ended up lowering my carb intake, taking bolus 15-30mins before meal (if I remembered) and also put a temp basal on of 200% for the hour after a meal which seemed to work. My team were happy with my 2hr levels being in target so you should chat to your team when you see them and see what they say.
I didn't have perfect post prandial BMs and had a lot of hypos in pregnancy but had a HbA1c <5.4 all pregnancy and no complications for me or baby who weighed 6lb12oz when she was born.
Good luck!
X

Reactions: 4 people

mrsguiseley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Jess, so pleased it's not just me!
Thank you both too for your ideas, I think having an earlier meal bolus Is definitely worth a try.