Hope someone can offer some advice

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,
As a result of other endocrine conditions, I developed type 2 diabetes a few years ago. I also have other some other medical problems not least of which is hidradenitis supperativa.

Anyway, long story short, since 2005 I've had several episodes of long term sickness. My employer has been fantastic and I could not have asked for better support. I've now been on the sick since last July and saw the occupational health doctor yesterday.
She too has been very supportive over the years and after a frank discussion about my lack of improvement after 8 months off, she suggested I retire early on medical grounds. I agreed, mainly because I feel so guilty about my employer still paying me a proportion of my salary when I have no guarantee of being able to return to work.

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble, but at 53, having worked all my life, the thought of not working again is a bit overwhelming. I just wondered if any of you guys had experienced something similar and could give me an idea of what happens next.

Thanks for reading,

colinRmhall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
As a result of other endocrine conditions, I developed type 2 diabetes a few years ago. I also have other some other medical problems not least of which is hidradenitis supperativa.

Anyway, long story short, since 2005 I've had several episodes of long term sickness. My employer has been fantastic and I could not have asked for better support. I've now been on the sick since last July and saw the occupational health doctor yesterday.
She too has been very supportive over the years and after a frank discussion about my lack of improvement after 8 months off, she suggested I retire early on medical grounds. I agreed, mainly because I feel so guilty about my employer still paying me a proportion of my salary when I have no guarantee of being able to return to work.

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble, but at 53, having worked all my life, the thought of not working again is a bit overwhelming. I just wondered if any of you guys had experienced something similar and could give me an idea of what happens next.

Thanks for reading,
Hi Ness,
Let me start by saying I have every sympathy with your situation. I don't have any answers for you, as I am in the same sort of situation having been on long-term sick leave since October 2014. I just wanted you to know you're not alone.
Best wishes,
Colin.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not exactly in the same position as you, but I did take early retirement when I was 54 after working all my life. It was the best thing I ever did. I'm 67 now. The stress lifted completely, and I can honestly say I've never had a headache since I finished! I was able to relax and do my own thing in my own time with no-one looking over my shoulder. No more alarm clocks either! The negatives? I missed my work friends and the camaraderie, but that faded and I make a determined effort, still, to keep in touch and go out for coffee or meals with them on a regular basis. I was able to pursue my hobbies and take up new ones, and visit places I never had time to visit previously. Life is relaxed, stress free and good. I recommend it.

Reactions: 8 people
K

Kat100

Hi,

Thanks for reading,
Hi ness if it is right for you then go for it ....your health and life are important , you could have lots of alternative things to look forward to ...
I am guessing you know all your finances etc , and you are happy with those , dotting the t,s and I,s
Yes after working all your life it must feel very overwhelming ...sounds like you have good support though, you have quite a few things to think through ...bestbwishes....kat

Reactions: 4 people

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank you all for your good wishes and reassurances, they are much appreciated.

Unfortunately Kat, my financial situation is very precarious. I have no idea what my occupational pension will be and which tier my employer will decide I'm eligable for.
My main problem is a truly huge mortgage which still has more than 4 years to run.

I'm a bit encouraged by the email I've just had from the occ health doctor I saw yesterday (and a bit dismayed by her bleak prognosis, but then I think I've been in denial healthwise for a long time). The email was a copy of the report she sent to my employer and she says there's no realistic chance of me working again. I suppose this means she thinks I should get the maximum pension available.

I've never been on benefits so have no idea what, if anything, I can claim.

I'm sure my employer will call me in soon to discuss the situation, so cross your fingers for me!
Hi ness if it is right for you then go for it ....your health and life are important , you could have lots of alternative things to look forward to ...
I am guessing you know all your finances etc , and you are happy with those , dotting the t,s and I,s
Yes after working all your life it must feel very overwhelming ...sounds like you have good support though, you have quite a few things to think through ...bestbwishes....kat

K

Kat100

Unfortunately Kat, my financial situation is very precarious. I have no idea what my occupational pension will be and which tier my employer will decide I'm eligable for.
My main problem is a truly huge mortgage which still has more than 4 years to run.

I'm a bit encouraged by the email I've just had from the occ health doctor I saw yesterday (and a bit dismayed by her bleak prognosis, but then I think I've been in denial healthwise for a long time). The email was a copy of the report she sent to my employer and she says there's no realistic chance of me working again. I suppose this means she thinks I should get the maximum pension available.

I'm sure my employer will call me in soon to discuss the situation, so cross your fingers for me!
Hi ness , worth getting a print out if you can ...you are I believe entitled to see one.....or get some idea at least ..this is a big step for you ...
Idea only ...with your mortgage ....that is a big stress ....are you , and you would have to find out , if you could work part time ...to top up pension ..
Only a thought .....not sure on your pension rules etc ....and what job you could or not do .....you are not really in denial , but going through a lot of stress..big life changing decisions to make and deal with ..

The only other thing I can come up with at the moment ...is trying a different job with less hours ...for a trial period of time to see how you cope , all under the umbrella of OH and HR of course ....with your pension option still available open to you ...

Keep all doors open untill you know the facts ....
Worth having a Google on claims re your mortgage , unless you have insurance to cover this ...
Sorry you have all this to think about ...
But I think you will get there in the end ...wish I had more ideas ...perhaps someone else will ...take care ..Kat

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
  • Hi ness , worth getting a print out if you can ...you are I believe entitled to see one.....or get some idea at least ..this is a big step for you ...
Idea only ...with your mortgage ....that is a big stress ....are you , and you would have to find out , if you could work part time ...to top up pension ..
Only a thought .....not sure on your pension rules etc ....and what job you could or not do .....you are not really in denial , but going through a lot of stress..big life changing decisions to make and deal with ..

The only other thing I can come up with at the moment ...is trying a different job with less hours ...for a trial period of time to see how you cope , all under the umbrella of OH and HR of course ....with your pension option still available open to you ...

Keep all doors open untill you know the facts ....
Worth having a Google on claims re your mortgage , unless you have insurance to cover this ...
Sorry you have all this to think about ...
But I think you will get there in the end ...wish I had more ideas ...perhaps someone else will ...take care ..Kat

Thanks so much for your advice Kat, I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I'm afraid that part time working or changing jobs isn't an option. The effects of my endo problems together with a nasty skin condition mean that I literally cannot guarantee that I would be able to work on any given day.
I very much wish it could be otherwise, as I was lucky enough to really enjoy what I did for a living.

Ah well, only time will tell - thanks again for your support.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have any sort of sickness insurance on your mortgage, you know, the sort that pays your mortgage for a certain period whilst sick?

If I were you I would be hot footing down to your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Job Centre tomorrow for some advice on benefit entitlements, and speaking to your personnel/HR department at work about your pension entitlements. You could do with sorting out your financial options ASAP.

K

Kat100

Thanks so much for your advice Kat, I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I'm afraid that part time working or changing jobs isn't an option. The effects of my endo problems together with a nasty skin condition mean that I literally cannot guarantee that I would be able to work on any given day.
I very much wish it could be otherwise, as I was lucky enough to really enjoy what I did for a living.

Ah well, only time will tell - thanks again for your support.
Hi ness , another thought ...is there an option of a lump sum payment to cover your payment ....with your pension, depending on scale.....
Sorry to be intrusive ..please don't answer , it is just a thought for you ...kat

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Kat & Bluetit,

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

No specific mortgage insurance to cover sicknesses, but will defo go to CAB to see if I have any options in that area.

Kat you're not intruding at all, I asked for advice and that's exactly what you've given me!
My pension will include a lump sum, but it won't be enough to clear the remaining mortgage. If push comes to shove, my husband will take early retirement and between us we'll be able to pay it off.
I really hope we don't have to go down that route, as my hub loves his job and we've always joked that when it is time for him to retire, they'll have to push him out of the door kicking & screaming.

I expect my employer will call me in by the end of the week, so I should have a much clearer idea of what kind of pension I'll end up with.

Thanks for your advice & support.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, your 'bleak prognosis' in that email is actually doing you a huge favour. The less your chance of working again, and the worse your health, the higher tier they will give you.

So sorry to hear that you've been so unwell for so long.

Is it possible that (once you have adjusted) the relief of not feeling employment type stress will improve things?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi dogbutler
I was in exactly the same situation when I was 55. I can understand your concerns, it's hard to think about life after work without worrying about finances and how you will occupy your time. If your company have offered you early retirement on medical grounds then you should get your full pension entitlement. I know all too well that a pension is nowhere near as good as a full wage, but you will find ways to cut your spending and manage on a lower income. I found that when I took early retirement, I lost the guilty feeling I had that some how I was letting people down by being ill. Since retirement I have found lots of new interests that keep me occupied throughout the day, and have found that despite my poor health I am enjoying life again.
I hope things work out for you.
Clive.

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi, your 'bleak prognosis' in that email is actually doing you a huge favour. The less your chance of working again, and the worse your health, the higher tier they will give you.

So sorry to hear that you've been so unwell for so long.

Is it possible that (once you have adjusted) the relief of not feeling employment type stress will improve things?

Hi Brunneria,

Yes I can see the plus side of the Doc's report with regard to my financial future and I'm sure that when the dust settles I'll appreciate the benefits of being free from work related stressors.

For years now, there's always been 'one more thing' that I hoped would sort me out - from growth hormone injections to antibiotic cocktails to try to control my hs. I suppose I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself because this feels like the end of the line and retirement brings its own worries; admittedly chiefly financial.

Thanks for your reality check and I hope that in the near future I'll have a more optimistic perspective on the whole situation.

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi dogbutler
I was in exactly the same situation when I was 55. I can understand your concerns, it's hard to think about life after work without worrying about finances and how you will occupy your time. If your company have offered you early retirement on medical grounds then you should get your full pension entitlement. I know all too well that a pension is nowhere near as good as a full wage, but you will find ways to cut your spending and manage on a lower income. I found that when I took early retirement, I lost the guilty feeling I had that some how I was letting people down by being ill. Since retirement I have found lots of new interests that keep me occupied throughout the day, and have found that despite my poor health I am enjoying life again.
I hope things turn work out for you.
Clive.

Hi Clive,

Thank you so much for your comments. Feeling guilty about letting colleagues (and my employer in a more general sense) down has weighed heavily during my frequent periods of sick leave. I've been very lucky to work with, and for, a great bunch of people and at least this way they can employ someone who's able to do the job reliably.

Cutting back on expenditure will be a challenge, but I'm sure I'll adjust and I'll also find new ways to occupy my time.

Thanks again for the empathy and positive perspective. Very much appreciated.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would say, having read the medics comments you are unlikely to work again, you must contact your pensions people immediately and ask them for some figures. If they say they are currently unable to act due to actuarial delays (which there may be, based on your ill-health situation), then paint a few pictures you would like them to address. Those could be "standard" early retirement, with no enhancements, which gives you your worst case scenarios (which is unlikely to be your reality), applying maximum enhancements, and each with and without maximum tax-free cash withdrawal. I'm pretty certain they should be able to provide these almost immediately.

You could be being very "fortunate", with the medic expressing your situation bluntly, so there is no room for an optimistic interpretation on the part of your employer. That could be a punch you just have to roll with, if you can get your head around it.

Depending on what your pension numbers (and any other income or savings you may have, you may be able to consider increasing the term of your mortgage to reduce the monthly costs, but that would take quite a bit of consideration, bearing in mind it is likely to cost more, over any remaining term. On the other hand, you may find you have enough tax free cash to reduce the remaining mortgage to a more affordable level, if not repay it completely. The slight downside there is that unless you are in a public sector scheme, taking tax-free cash is likely to have a strong ignificant impact on the ongoing income you receive.

This is certainly a time for planning. Does your employer offer any form of retirement counselling? Some larger employers have relationships with firms who will help with some of this exploration, at the employers' cost.

I'd recommend a short period of thinking time, collating your thoughts, then a decent discussion with HR to ensure you get all the help they may be able to offer you.

It's not good to be making these life changing decisions to someone else's timetable, but perhaps once you can get your head around it the stress and guilt you have felt over your absences will lift, leaving you more head space to plan positively for the future.

Good luck with it all.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dogbutler,
I feel for you in your predicament, not knowing your precise circumstances I can only tell you what I did when this happened to me, as my girls were then just about to start their University courses we decided to downsize, so we sold our 4 bed house and brought outright our present home, a 2 bed bungalow, the excess money we put away and gave it to the girls to add to their deposits when they were looking for their own homes, yes it was a wrench to part with the house that my children had grown up in, but to be honest it was such a relief not to have to worry about finding that mortgage money.
I realise this may not be an option for you, but I thought I would offer it just in case it is.

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks for your posts Andbreathe & Satindoll.
I've just had a call from my manager and we're meeting on Monday, so I guess I 'll have some answers then.
Will keep you posted..