Night shifts

feeney369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering if anyone with type 1 has a job where night shifts are compulsory and how they manage it with diabetes? Is it possible?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's some years since I worked nights but having type 1 diabetes doesn't stop you from doing shift-work.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do regular night shifts (5 x 12.5 hour shifts in a row every 5 weeks and 4 weeks of 12.5 days (3 or 4/week) When I was on MDI I was on levemir twice a day, 10 units in the morning and 14 at night, during my week of nights I flipped the doses around. I'm now on a pump and the process is a lot easier, I have a different profile set up for nights. It's all perfectly doable however I wish it wasn't coz I HATE night shifts!

Reactions: 4 people

stratospheric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worms
Yeah i dit night shifts for two years. And also swap around morning and evening doses. Rest was all the same like when working days

Karen81285

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work shifts some nights some days and some twilights which can start at 3pm and finish at 3am they mess me up as am now asleep when should be having my levimer haven't quite figured out how to tackle it yet, I also hate night shifts

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I work shifts some nights some days and some twilights which can start at 3pm and finish at 3am they mess me up as am now asleep when should be having my levimer haven't quite figured out how to tackle it yet, I also hate night shifts

Are you on one or two injections a day for your levemir? If one then you could take it early evening, this way you'll always be awake and provided you can fit the injection dose into your work schedule (when on twilight shift) it should sort your problem out, if your on two injections a day then it might be worth changing to another basal insulin such as Lantus or Tresiba, Lantus is taken once a day (but some people do have to spit-dose) as where Tresiba is taken once a day and has a 42 hour profile, meaning you can be more flexible with the timing.

ashleyk2552

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People saying 'I know how you feel'! NO YOU DONT!
Hi, I am going to be doing a few night shifts in 2 weeks time and I'm unsure what to do with my insulin. I am on 2 injections, novarapid -carb counting. And lantus at night before bed.

So should I just take my novarapid during night shift and lantus before I go to sleep during the day? I'm worrying about it. Any help would be great!?

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering if anyone with type 1 has a job where night shifts are compulsory and how they manage it with diabetes? Is it possible?
I do nights now and then. Contrary to what I would have expected my sugars tend to run a bit higher then hoped during and afterwards- presumably from stress induced cortisol, not eating as often, and some kind of liver dump from that. I take lantus 22 units at night, but was considering increasing it to 24/25 units while on night shift.... Anyone have any thoughts on this?

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I am going to be doing a few night shifts in 2 weeks time and I'm unsure what to do with my insulin. I am on 2 injections, novarapid -carb counting. And lantus at night before bed.

So should I just take my novarapid during night shift and lantus before I go to sleep during the day? I'm worrying about it. Any help would be great!?
You shouldn't have to change the time of your Lantus if you only take it once a day as it has a fairly flat reliable profile. The onlt thing you may have to change is your bolus ratios if you use different ones for breakfast and dinner etc, that may take a bit of experimenting.

Loxyk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work all kinds of shifts no problems what so ever. I am actually long haul cabin crew was born with type 1 and I manage shift work and timezones really well.