So desperate not to be T1

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Feeling very sad this evening. My 9 yr old daughter is really struggling with everything at the moment.
Initially when she was diagnosed ( a week before Xmas ) she seemed to take it all so well and just accepted whatever was thrown at her. However over the last couple of weeks she's become very angry about it and says she hates it because it has changed everything! Tonight she even tried to tell me that she faked all the original symptoms and that she lies about her BG levels. When I explained that that wasn't possible as I'm always with her when she tests , she just dropped to the floor and sobbed saying she knows but she just wants it all to go away and was I sure the doctors hadn't made a mistake.
Oh how I wish they had and oh how I wish I could take it all away for her.

Sorry for the moan , just really feel for her :-(
Hi Bekki, so sorry your daughter is struggling now :( Can you let your daughter test you as well and make up some games at testing times of guess the number? I found this for you both http://www.jdrft1.org.uk/landing.asp?section=25&sectionTitle=Tweens+9-12 I know they used to do a bear for children newly diagnosed, have no idea if it's still available.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Bekki, so sorry your daughter is struggling now :( Can you let your daughter test you as well and make up some games at testing times of guess the number? I found this for you both http://www.jdrft1.org.uk/landing.asp?section=25&sectionTitle=Tweens+9-12 I know they used to do a bear for children newly diagnosed, have no idea if it's still available.

He was called Rufus, i got one for my granddaughter, he had different coloured injection sites, such a brilliant idea and a great help for a then 2 1/2 year old and older children too.

Rufus-JDRF-Bear.jpg
884426_orig.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you soooo much everyone for all the support and the helpful links too! I really do love this forum....never feel alone! :)

We were given the kid pac when dx and all the little books etc were so helpful. We did get a little bear in the pack although didn't look quite like the one in the pic. However when we were on the ward there was a little girl a few years younger than Eloise who was very scared and crying as she had to have an mri scan so Eloise gave her the bear to cheer her up.
The T1 Tweens is brilliant!! You're a star @carbsrock

Once again thank you so so much for all the lovely messages and the level of support. You guys are all fabulous! :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
However when we were on the ward there was a little girl a few years younger than Eloise who was very scared and crying as she had to have an mri scan so Eloise gave her the bear to cheer her up.
It sounds to me as if you have one very fantastic daughter.
Perhaps if you have the funds spare and she likes teddy bears take her to a shop so she can choose one for herself. Tell her it's for being so kind to the very frightened little girl in the hospital. Then also right to the JDRF and explain what happened and ask if they could or would replace Rufus for her.

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good thinking @carbsrock I think I will write to jdrf as I don't really have anything spare at the moment. It's crazy but I've had to have so much time off work since she's been dx that they have now started docking my pay :-(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good thinking @carbsrock I think I will write to jdrf as I don't really have anything spare at the moment. It's crazy but I've had to have so much time off work since she's been dx that they have now started docking my pay :-(
Put a claim in for DLA and carers allowance if you get middle rate care.

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I already get low rate dla as she's autistic but have asked for a change of circumstance form as dsn thinks we should be entitled to more so hopefully we would meet middle rate and then I will definitely apply for carers.

Reactions: 4 people

lely

That's really good to know @lely I'm hoping if I'm always consistent then things will settle soon. We have a psychology appointment with the diabetes team on weds so think I will mention all these things then as they may well be able to give some advice too.
How did it go today? Hope things look more positive.

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It went ok today @lely they are going to see her monthly as although she refused to talk it was very clear that she's not coping with it very well , emotionally. They were brilliant though and just told me to call anytime if I was worried. Thanks so much for asking , so lovely of you x

Blondie153

Feeling very sad this evening. My 9 yr old daughter is really struggling with everything at the moment.
Initially when she was diagnosed ( a week before Xmas ) she seemed to take it all so well and just accepted whatever was thrown at her. However over the last couple of weeks she's become very angry about it and says she hates it because it has changed everything! Tonight she even tried to tell me that she faked all the original symptoms and that she lies about her BG levels. When I explained that that wasn't possible as I'm always with her when she tests , she just dropped to the floor and sobbed saying she knows but she just wants it all to go away and was I sure the doctors hadn't made a mistake.
Oh how I wish they had and oh how I wish I could take it all away for her.

Sorry for the moan , just really feel for her :-(
Hi, you have come to the right place. The people here will support you and your daughter and then some! I have a 10yr old diabetic daughter who has been through this like your daughter. So I know exactly how you feel and the helplessness and grief you are experiencing. It gets easier it really does because they get more accustomed to the way of it. Unfortunately we learn to live with it and the why me moments are fewer rather than regular. My daughter has not allowed it to keep her back. She does school trips, swimming, sport, play dates etc. It's about giving her confidence and control of this condition so that she can deal with things when they arise. Because your daughter will be the most intelligent person there when it comes to her own diabetes. When it comes to visits to other children's houses I reassure the parents that I am only ever a phone call away. They are not on their own so she can play and eat at their house. But this is a journey and you are at the start of it so cut yourself some slack. We were offered a chance for my daughter to talk to the psychologist, if you can get her an appt I would take it. Let her vent, it may be easier to a stranger. But we are all in this together, so drop in when you need it. X

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all feel some of the emotions she does even when we are older and T2; it seems unfair but life can be unfair. Can you speak to her teachers as there will almost certainly be other diabetics at her school. She may be able to have a "buddie" who is a few years older and has had diabetes for a while that she can go to when she feels low and upset. It always helps to speak to someone who has "been there, done that".

Best wishes and I hope she feels better about it all soon.

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, you have come to the right place. The people here will support you and your daughter and then some! I have a 10yr old diabetic daughter who has been through this like your daughter. So I know exactly how you feel and the helplessness and grief you are experiencing. It gets easier it really does because they get more accustomed to the way of it. Unfortunately we learn to live with it and the why me moments are fewer rather than regular. My daughter has not allowed it to keep her back. She does school trips, swimming, sport, play dates etc. It's about giving her confidence and control of this condition so that she can deal with things when they arise. Because your daughter will be the most intelligent person there when it comes to her own diabetes. When it comes to visits to other children's houses I reassure the parents that I am only ever a phone call away. They are not on their own so she can play and eat at their house. But this is a journey and you are at the start of it so cut yourself some slack. We were offered a chance for my daughter to talk to the psychologist, if you can get her an appt I would take it. Let her vent, it may be easier to a stranger. But we are all in this together, so drop in when you need it. X
Thank you for such a lovely post and you are right the people here are amazing! We saw the psychologist and she was amazing!! From now on she is going to have monthly appointments until she comes to terms with it all a bit more.

Honestly can't thank you all enough for all the support and encouragement you guys have shown! I'd be lost without you all now :) x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for such a lovely post and you are right the people here are amazing! We saw the psychologist and she was amazing!! From now on she is going to have monthly appointments until she comes to terms with it all a bit more.

Honestly can't thank you all enough for all the support and encouragement you guys have shown! I'd be lost without you all now :) x

That's another positive post to read, so pleased she is getting the help and support ( not just from you) but from the professionals. So :happy: for you. both Take care and all the very best :)

RRB x

Reactions: 3 people