Just had my second HbA1c result - can't quite believe it

Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfit thin people who think all over weight people are unfit
I have just received my second HbA1c test result and am still somewhat in shock, despite expecting a decent result:

I was diagnosed in November with an HbA1c of 107 (11.9%) and since then have been on a very, very strict LCHF (gradually reducing down to current level of < 20g carbs per day) regime which has seen my own readings drop to low values and I've also lost nearly 25kg at the same time.

So, I was expecting a decent HbA1c result, but not as good as I got: My current HbA1c is now 40 (5.8%) which, according to the Docs isn't just a good value for a diabetic, it's back down into the non-diabetic range!

Of course, there's always bad news with good news and my bad news is my cholesterol is up (total and LDL up, HDL down) which I think is caused by me eating too many saturated fats. The doc offered me Statins, but has agreed to give me 6 months to see if I can bring it down naturally (which I'm sure I can with a few tweaks to my diet).

Overall, I'm absolutely elated and quite emotional about the stunning HbA1c result and it does show that LCHF certainly works in bringing down Blood Sugar (at least for me :))
Hi Phil that's fantastic I was diagnosed oct 14 Hb1 was 146 in February was 59, be greatefull for your diet details and what meds you take if any
Well done
Dave

Reactions: 2 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How excellent!

WELL DONE!

Your doc should have told you that cholesterol often rises with rapid, significant weight loss. Please don't assume that your fat intake is to blame unless your cholesterol stays raised several months after your weight loss has stopped.

Have you researched the effects of LCHF on cholesterol?
It is worth doing so, because there have been new discoveries about cholesterol that many docs don't seem to have heard about, where the total number is far less important than the triglycerides.

@jack412 has a fab video on this.
Well worth watching.
Sorry Jack, I still haven't managed to work out how to post videos onto this site, otherwise I would do it myself!

Hi Brunneria, despite having read and understand all the current views on cholesterol. I'm still interested to hear about cases where cholesterol has been improved after low carbing, there seems to be some people that have managed it so I am very interested as my cholesterol is utterly high and I am not expecting great results on that front at mi first review... It doesn't bother me greatly but I know it will bother the GP and my nurse and I need them on my side for other reasons.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria, despite having read and understand all the current views on cholesterol. I'm still interested to hear about cases where cholesterol has been improved after low carbing, there seems to be some people that have managed it so I am very interested as my cholesterol is utterly high and I am not expecting great results on that front at mi first review... It doesn't bother me greatly but I know it will bother the GP and my nurse and I need them on my side for other reasons.

Mine has improved. It is better now that when I was on statins 12 months ago (I stopped taking them)
Trigs 0.58
HDL 2.2
LDL 3.0
TC/HDL ratio 2.5
Non-HDL 3.3
Trigs/HDL ratio 0.19

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent result Phil!! I agree with you that the advice and support here keeps us going! Hope you feel proud of your achievement :)

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine has improved. It is better now that when I was on statins 12 months ago (I stopped taking them)
Trigs 0.58
HDL 2.2
LDL 3.0
TC/HDL ratio 2.5
Non-HDL 3.3
Trigs/HDL ratio 0.19

Oh thats great to hear, even more coming from you as I truly respect your opinions and contributions in the forum!

I can't go on statins, and my cholesterol is very high to begin with. I need to bring it down somehow and there seems to be mixed results on different people.

How is your diet though? I don't remember seeing it... although I know we are all different, I am interested in learning from de different approaches both low carb or low calorie, it really doesn't matter to me. The general claim seems to be that low calorie is better from the cholesterol point of view..therefore wondering what can I expect from my tests.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Ignore the statins they are downright dangerous thats my feelings. yes cholesterol will go up and it is also linked with rapid weight loss NOT the fat part of your diet. In fact you only get about 11% chol. from food you eat the rest your body manufactures. Get the book "Grain Brain" from Dr Pearlmutter by the time you finish reading you will treat statins like the ultimate poison they are. Start hunting out info on cholesterol message me and l will send you some of that l have found..loads on over next few days and may forget if a little flag isnt there to remind me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh thats great to hear, even more coming from you as I truly respect your opinions and contributions in the forum!

I can't go on statins, and my cholesterol is very high to begin with. I need to bring it down somehow and there seems to be mixed results on different people.

How is your diet though? I don't remember seeing it... although I know we are all different, I am interested in learning from de different approaches both low carb or low calorie, it really doesn't matter to me. The general claim seems to be that low calorie is better from the cholesterol point of view..therefore wondering what can I expect from my tests.

Thank you.

I started testing and low carbing last April, combined with calorie counting, and brought my carbs down gradually rather than cold turkey. Currently on up to 50g. I increased my fats and kept normal protein, aiming for 1200 calories. I lost all my weight at about 1 to 2lbs a week, no plateaux. Then I struggled to stop losing, so up went my fats. Still lost an odd pound here and there, so up went my fats again (plus an extra glass or 2 of red wine ;)). It has taken me from October to now to stabilise and I am half a stone lighter than I would want. (Still normal BMI though) I really upped my fats to gain extra calories and must admit I was worried when I had my review at the start of December that my cholesterol would have gone up. Delighted to report, it was even better than the previous review, so the increased calories from fats have done no damage, only good. I have only been able to do it by carb counting and calorie counting, and finding the right balance of carbs/fats/protein/fibre. I do eat loads and loads of oily fish though.

Reactions: 4 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Phil that's fantastic I was diagnosed oct 14 Hb1 was 146 in February was 59, be greatefull for your diet details and what meds you take if any
Well done
Dave
Thanks and well done on your reduction too :)

Medication wise, I'm on 2 x Metformin 500 a day (normal ones - I haven't suffered any digestion issues with them)

Diet wise, I'm on a very low carb diet (around 20g a day):

20g sounds low, but it's easy to do when you get used to it :)

For example, the following is an example of a low carb day for me (I log everything in MyFitnessPal so it's easy to keep track!)

Breakfast
Bacon, Egg and Mushrooms

1g Carbs

Lunch
Chicken salad (lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, spring onions, grated cheese and mayo)
Sugar free jelly with double cream

6g Carbs

Dinner
Gammon and egg with mushrooms and green beans

4g carbs

Snacks / Drinks

Black Coffee
No added sugar squash
Cheesestring (for calcium)

1g carbs

Total for day: 12g Carbs

Reactions: 6 people

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks and well done on your reduction too :)

Medication wise, I'm on 2 x Metformin 500 a day (normal ones - I haven't suffered any digestion issues with them)

Diet wise, I'm on a very low carb diet (around 20g a day):

20g sounds low, but it's easy to do when you get used to it :)

For example, the following is an example of a low carb day for me (I log everything in MyFitnessPal so it's easy to keep track!)

Breakfast
Bacon, Egg and Mushrooms

1g Carbs

Lunch
Chicken salad (lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, spring onions, grated cheese and mayo)
Sugar free jelly with double cream

6g Carbs

Dinner
Gammon and egg with mushrooms and green beans

4g carbs

Snacks / Drinks

Black Coffee
No added sugar squash
Cheesestring (for calcium)

1g carbs

Total for day: 12g Carbs
Very well done phil. Can I ask do you do any exercise?