Type 1: Prescription fine

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
yes there was guy in the pharm
Hi all, am new here but not to diabetes
Have received penalty charge for exemption card being out of date, which most certainly was but I had no idea it was important to my entitlement to free prescriptions. Have applied for new card and rang to explain all this thinking it would be fine, apparently not, was told that it wasn't my diabetes that made me exempt from charges but the card (which I am entitled to because of the diabetes) uhhhhh
What will happen if I refuse to pay
yes there was a guy at the pharmacy ,i was telling the lady there aboutmy panaltry .she said really.she adviced me not to pay and gut got a penaltry ,he said he told nhsbsa he wasnt paying.he got an other penalty he said then after that they didnt bother.didnt know his circumstances.

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that will have a look now
yes they emailed back to me saying i couldnt appeal.i have paid for the prescription.not the penalty as adviced on here.with a letter and emailed.but they are not replying at the moment.i think the people on here have been smarter than the nhsbsa.which they should be proud..they have brought the worse out of me..theres always a loop hole .it just needs finding.

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick reminder to everybody that there is no law saying you have to pay for your prescription when it is issued to you at the pharmacy. So if you get a penalty charge notice, ask them on what basis they are charging you (or fining you, if you prefer, though it's not a fine). There is nothing to stop you saying that you simply haven't paid for it yet, and there is no legislation in place to charge you for late payments - it's not quite the same as overstaying your time in a car park.

Don't pay a penny if you are entitled, but if you have't obtained the correct documentation, such as the certificate, pay for the one prescription. Once it's paid they have no reason to charge you for anything.

I repeat, there is NOTHING to say you must have paid for your prescription at the time you received the medication so basically they're screwed if they try to take you to court later for the unpaid charge, because they have nothing to charge you for.

Incidentally, as for signing the form, I never have - most pharmacies just ask me if I pay for my prescriptions and then sign it themselves (I buy the annual prepayment card as I have to pay for mine). I don't know what they have signed, so where's the proof I didn't actually pay for it? Again, you don't have to prove you paid, there is no legislation that says you do!
i paid for the presciption but havent heard anything since.so hope thats the end of it.put what u quoted .as though it was coming from me.thank you for your help.

stevep10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OMG how petty and ridiculous. I've never paid for drug prescriptions since diagnosed, although I used to need to buy syringes and needles etc. before they started handing them out free to drug addicts and suddenly realised that it would be somewhat controversial for diabetics to still pay for them! I was asked by a pharmacist a couple of times to see my medical exemption certificate and just stated that I had never been issued with one and asked him how to get one, but he just stated that it was issued automatically by the local health authority. I've still never seen one,. but being over 60 I don't need one anymore.

stevep10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a medical exemption card but no one issues it you have to apply and they do run out. I'm asked to show it virtually every time I pick up my meds now and again I forget it but they just say bring it next time.

Reactions: 2 people

mike1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cancer patients are having the same trouble as Diabetics due to penalties being enforced due to the fact that the NHS no longer governs the enforcement of local NHS providers last year 2014. This means that 3.2 million Diabetics and 600.000 Epileptics will be vulnerable to Fines incurred by certificates expiring and no reminders being sent out. The NHS Business Service Authority is the service now responsible for renewing the certs but they do not send reminders so that you will have to pay the fine due to your own ignorance for not being aware of your circumstances. So deal with it . The Sun news paper ran an article on Saturday February 21st 2015 by Nick McDermott (Health Editor) on Cancer Patients and Diabetics being affected by the same Problem.

THE JIST OF THE CONVERSATION IS PAY UP, SHUT UP MOANING & GO RENEW YOUR MEDICAL EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE AT YOUR LOCAL GP SURGERY AND MAKE A NOTE OF THE NEW EXPIRY DATE WHEN IT COMES THROUGH. THESE DAYS YOU CAN EVEN PROGRAM YOUR ELECTRONIC DIARYS TO REMIND YOU IN 5 YEARS.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This means that 3.2 million Diabetics [...] will be vulnerable to Fines incurred by certificates expiring and no reminders being sent out.
That's a somewhat overstated number. It assumes that all diabetics are entitled to free prescriptions, which isn't the case. If you are treated by diet alone then there is no entitlement to free prescriptions.

Reactions: 6 people

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a somewhat overstated number. It assumes that all diabetics are entitled to free prescriptions, which isn't the case. If you are treated by diet alone then there is no entitlement to free prescriptions.

I just can't work out the tone or point of that contribution by mike1972. Any ideas, is he telling us we are all a bunch of moaners or is it just 'tongue in cheek'?

Reactions: 4 people

Allymn1990

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just can't work out the tone or point of that contribution by mike1972. Any ideas, is he telling us we are all a bunch of moaners or is it just 'tongue in cheek'?
I have an exemption certificate but also received a £96 fine letter last week. I rang them up straight away and they said it was an error they had my DOB wrong. As I filed the form in and all my prescriptions have the correct DOB on them I think that was a lie and I have had a exemption card for the last 3 years

Allymn1990

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I
I have an exemption certificate but also received a £96 fine letter last week. I rang them up straight away and they said it was an error they had my DOB wrong. As I filed the form in and all my prescriptions have the correct DOB on them I think that was a lie and I have had a exemption card for the last 3 years
I think they are doing checks and sending letters to provoke a response. They have probably made some error or have lost data and this is the easiest way to correct things rather than to come out and admit there is a problem with their system

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Mike was just correcting the statement made that all diabetics had free prescriptions :) He is quite correct diet alone does not entitle anyone to free prescriptions.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Cancer patients are having the same trouble as Diabetics due to penalties being enforced due to the fact that the NHS no longer governs the enforcement of local NHS providers last year 2014. This means that 3.2 million Diabetics and 600.000 Epileptics will be vulnerable to Fines incurred by certificates expiring and no reminders being sent out. The NHS Business Service Authority is the service now responsible for renewing the certs but they do not send reminders so that you will have to pay the fine due to your own ignorance for not being aware of your circumstances. So deal with it . The Sun news paper ran an article on Saturday February 21st 2015 by Nick McDermott (Health Editor) on Cancer Patients and Diabetics being affected by the same Problem.

THE JIST OF THE CONVERSATION IS PAY UP, SHUT UP MOANING & GO RENEW YOUR MEDICAL EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE AT YOUR LOCAL GP SURGERY AND MAKE A NOTE OF THE NEW EXPIRY DATE WHEN IT COMES THROUGH. THESE DAYS YOU CAN EVEN PROGRAM YOUR ELECTRONIC DIARYS TO REMIND YOU IN 5 YEARS.

Whoa there Mike, a tad harsh in your statement, remember, others can have an awful lot of other things to deal in their lives with as well, we can't ALL be perfect, it would be fantastic,:) but, not possible. We all make mistakes, that why we have rubbers on the end of pencil's :rolleyes:

'It is human to err', Le Corbusier ( 1887 - 1965) just a thought.

All the best RRB

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

True tim, the exemption certificate is for medication.

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mike was just correcting the statement made that all diabetics had free prescriptions :) He is quite correct diet alone does not entitle anyone to free prescriptions.

No mike1972 wasn't doing that. It was tim2000s. My comment was querying the tone or point of mike1972 post.

Reactions: 7 people

mike1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the point was if you had bothered to read my post correctly is that the individual with the condition is responsible for renewing their medical exemption certificate and should pay the costs incurred when the NHS sends the bill for falsely obtaining medical equipment and drugs without the correct certificate to cover the charges. people who are moaning about paying for costs incurred should pay up and learn to make them selves aware of the changes in the law. I keep track of any changes to new medications and issues relating to my diabetes by regular communication with my GP and consultants. I carry my medical card for my diabetes which gives the expiry date on my exemption certificate so I am aware of when I need to renew it. that was the point of my quote.

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the point was if you had bothered to read my post correctly is that the individual with the condition is responsible for renewing their medical exemption certificate and should pay the costs incurred when the NHS sends the bill for falsely obtaining medical equipment and drugs without the correct certificate to cover the charges. people who are moaning about paying for costs incurred should pay up and learn to make them selves aware of the changes in the law. I keep track of any changes to new medications and issues relating to my diabetes by regular communication with my GP and consultants. I carry my medical card for my diabetes which gives the expiry date on my exemption certificate so I am aware of when I need to renew it. that was the point of my quote.

I had read your post and all the other posts since the start of this thread and was an early contributor, so I am aware of all the arguments. I must say I was a bit aghast at your second paragraph in Block Capitals, was your caps lock key stuck?

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
No need to get shirty, folks. Let's keep this discussion friendly.

mike1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whoa there Mike, a tad harsh in your statement, remember, others can have an awful lot of other things to deal in their lives with as well, we can't ALL be perfect, it would be fantastic,:) but, not possible. We all make mistakes, that why we have rubbers on the end of pencil's :rolleyes:

'It is human to err', Le Corbusier ( 1887 - 1965) just a thought.

All the best RRB
your absolutely right people due have other conditions to deal with in my case I have diabetes type 1 for 40 years, diabetic retinopathy, diabetic nephropathy, diabetic neuropathy, stage 3 chronic kidney disease, hyperlipidaemia, hypertension, hyperparathyroidism, carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands and arms, right leg and ankle was shattered in accident which has resulted in mal-union of ankle and talus bones which I had 2 external fixators for 7 months and 5 operations to fix, acute lymphoedema to right ankle and leg, but even with all these problems I still work full time and renew my medical exemption certificate and not get charged by the NHS. so yes people due have other issues and like me they live with them. It just annoys me when people take no responsibility for managing them selves for either medical or administration purposes.

info comes from sun news paper article written by Nick McDermott Heath Editor Sun News paper on Saturday Feb 21st 2015 and the figures are quoted in the article. So the figures are accurate and I have a copy of the article its heading was cancer patients hit by £100 fine. and it also gives information about diabetes suffers as well which is also quoted. So what's your compelling evidence to disprove what I have told you ?

info comes from sun news paper article written by Nick McDermott Heath Editor Sun News paper on Saturday Feb 21st 2015 and the figures are quoted in the article. So the figures are accurate and I have a copy of the article its heading was cancer patients hit by £100 fine. and it also gives information about diabetes suffers as well which is also quoted. So what's your compelling evidence to disprove what I have told you ?
diet controlled diabetes is exempt from free Prescriptions, only tablet and insulin controlled diabetes qualifies for exemption certificate as per guidelines set by NHS.

I had read your post and all the other posts since the start of this thread and was an early contributor, so I am aware of all the arguments. I must say I was a bit aghast at your second paragraph in Block Capitals, was your caps lock key stuck?
it was done in capitals to get the point across, having read earlier posts which clearly stated the same thing that I did and was being ignored by people who had been fined I thought that tough love was required with no messing about so I put it into layman's terms that could be understood ie you wont get the fines dropped and they wont waiver the fine.

POSTS MERGED BY MODERATOR

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So what's your compelling evidence to disprove what I have told you ?
And the Sun is compelling evidence. Please re-read my post.

Given that his figures seem to match those of Diabetes UK, which states that there are 3.2 Million Diabetics in the UK, I'll quote them (and it looks like the figures came from this source https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documen...s/Diabetes-key-stats-guidelines-April2014.pdf).

Diabetes UK estimates that 90% of all diabetics are type 2. This would therefore be 2.9 million who may be treated by Insulin, tablets or by diet.

I don't have a breakdown, but given that there are a significant number of people on the forum alone who are treated by diet only, then "3.2 million people with diabetes" are not all entitled to free prescriptions. Only those on medication, as advised here: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1126.aspx

Before complaining that I am wrong, please make sure you have your facts straight. It is possible that some people with diabetes could have claimed free prescriptions without a medical exemption certificate. I am not saying they have. I am simply saying that those treated by diet alone do not qualify.

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it was done in capitals to get the point across, having read earlier posts which clearly stated the same thing that I did and was being ignored by people who had been fined I thought that tough love was required with no messing about so I put it into layman's terms that could be understood ie you wont get the fines dropped and they wont waiver the fine.

But posters on here have had their penalty charges waived including the OP.

Reactions: 6 people