Newcastle Diet

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last friday I printed out all the information sheets kindly forwarded to me by Prof. Taylor regarding his diet and delivered them to my Doctor, requesting that he support me on doing the diet.

Today I received a call from him saying that he'd read it with great interest and if I could find a MRP mix similar to that used then he fully supports me trying the ND :)

Thank God for that ..... I didn't tell him I started it on Friday :D

He agreed I need to lose weight and is very interested to see how I go on with it.

An earlier call from the Diabetic Nurse only confirmed what I know from being on here - she doesn't recommend either a low calorie or low carb diet and only recommends the 'official' NHS line of a 'balanced diet with lots of carbs'

I did ask her why I'd want to load my system, on a daily basis, with carbs which will readily change into glucose (baked spuds, baby carrots, weetabix, etc....) she went oddly silent and, when pressed could only answer with "thats what the NHS recommends"

The support of my Doctor for the ND means a lot so I'll carry of as I have since Friday.

DN wants to redo my bloods in 2 months, so that'll be interesting ;)

From those with experience ......

Once the ND finishes I'm leaning towards the LCHF diet plan by DietDoctor ..... does this make sense and would it be a sensible approach ??

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Hello ...will tag @Scandichic , you may have a buddy , for diet Dr.....
I am sure she will get in touch with you ....best wishes ...kat ...

Sorry for short reply ...dashing this afternoon .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last friday I printed out all the information sheets kindly forwarded to me by Prof. Taylor regarding his diet and delivered them to my Doctor, requesting that he support me on doing the diet.

Today I received a call from him saying that he'd read it with great interest and if I could find a MRP mix similar to that used then he fully supports me trying the ND :)

Thank God for that ..... I didn't tell him I started it on Friday :D

He agreed I need to lose weight and is very interested to see how I go on with it.

An earlier call from the Diabetic Nurse only confirmed what I know from being on here - she doesn't recommend either a low calorie or low carb diet and only recommends the 'official' NHS line of a 'balanced diet with lots of carbs'

I did ask her why I'd want to load my system, on a daily basis, with carbs which will readily change into glucose (baked spuds, baby carrots, weetabix, etc....) she went oddly silent and, when pressed could only answer with "thats what the NHS recommends"

The support of my Doctor for the ND means a lot so I'll carry of as I have since Friday.

DN wants to redo my bloods in 2 months, so that'll be interesting ;)

From those with experience ......

Once the ND finishes I'm leaning towards the LCHF diet plan by DietDoctor ..... does this make sense and would it be a sensible approach ??

Having had great success with ND , I try LCHF afterwards. I found that it did not suit if I included a high proportion of fat in my diet. Could be just me, as I have other health conditions. For me, the best way forward was to keep carbs to an absolute minimum, (such as bread, rice, pasta, cereal and all the 'healthy' NHS carbs), but use full fat dairy instead of the low fat which have added sugar. Also to not be afraid of fat on meat and use real butter. If like me you need to watch weight, don't make the mistake I did and have lots of cream, cheese and nuts. BG stayed fine but weight piled back on.

After completing ND gradually reintroduce foods and test BG regularly so that you know what causes spikes.

Good luck with it.

sueky01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
been cold!!!
Hi Could I ask which VLCD you are using?

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Could I ask which VLCD you are using?

Hi Sueky01

I'm using the Newcastle Diet as per the instructions I received when I wrote them, principally :

3 x 200 calorie shakes (not a milkshake, they're made with water) & 200 grams of above ground green vegetables - plus - at least 3 litres of water a day

If I'm working, I also have 1 cup of real coffee, no milk, no sugar obviously

For 8 weeks ...... I'm on day 5 :D

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sueky01

I'm using the Newcastle Diet as per the instructions I received when I wrote them, principally :

3 x 200 calorie shakes (not a milkshake, they're made with water) & 200 grams of above ground green vegetables - plus - at least 3 litres of water a day

If I'm working, I also have 1 cup of real coffee, no milk, no sugar obviously

For 8 weeks ...... I'm on day 5 :D
I could be very wrong here, but I thought the ND shakes were a meal replacement shake, amounting to 200 calories each, plus an additional c200 calories of mainly vegetables. 200gr of vegetables per meal doesn't sound sustainable to me and could be VVVVVVLCD.

@Pipp, @flashtash , @littlewhitehen ? Do you guys have any comment to make? I'll take my 100 lines with grace, if necessary.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could be very wrong here, but I thought the ND shakes were a meal replacement shake, amounting to 200 calories each, plus an additional c200 calories of mainly vegetables. 200gr of vegetables per meal doesn't sound sustainable to me and could be VVVVVVLCD.

@Pipp, @flashtash , @littlewhitehen ? Do you guys have any comment to make? I'll take my 100 lines with grace, if necessary.

I'm not having 200 grams of veg per meal -- I'm having 200 grams of veg in total (uncooked weight) per day

At 'tea time', I have the veg as a meal (its surprising how much one enjoys such a small plate/bowl) then have the shake as a desert

Tonight was "Aubergine Pickling Style" (kinda like a classic veg curry side dish, served hot or cold -- tonight was hot - very spicy ..... lovely) then half an hour later a strawberry flavour shake .

Advocado's, spinach, celery, pak choi, cherry tomatoes, chard & lettuce, and lots of herbs & spices make for a great 'gazpacho' style green smoothie - uncooked & blitzed so just weighed out to 200 grams on the scales, but can also be heated up to make a nice soup

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I initially did 600 cals a day. No veg.

Seems to me that @moonchip is following guidelines ok, though maybe 240 grams veg per day,could be the right amount. Also not sure about the avocado.

What is it that you are querying @AndBreathe? (The pencils are being sharpened so be prepared to stay in at playtime).

Reactions: 2 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I initially did 600 cals a day. No veg.

Seems to me that @moonchip is following guidelines ok, though maybe 240 grams veg per day,could be the right amount. Also not sure about the avocado.

What is it that you are querying @AndBreathe? (The pencils are being sharpened so be prepared to stay in at playtime).

Thanks Pipp

May I ask, what diet did you follow post ND ?

I limit the avocado to 1 in 2 litres of smoothie - takes several bowls in the blender to get to that, mind :D

Looking at a nutribullet or similar to have regular green shakes as part of my post diet (90% veg, 10% permitted fruits, and water). Tending towards the Nutri Ninja as it looks better -- and cheaper

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp

May I ask, what diet did you follow post ND ?

I limit the avocado to 1 in 2 litres of smoothie - takes several bowls in the blender to get to that, mind :D

Looking at a nutribullet or similar to have regular green shakes as part of my post diet (90% veg, 10% permitted fruits, and water). Tending towards the Nutri Ninja as it looks better -- and cheaper

I have been able to eat anything at all. No problems with spikes to BG.
I gain weight with more than minimal carbs though. Similar with LCHF, but probably because I enjoy cheese and nuts a bit too much.

I tend to base meals on mainly vegetables, with some fish, chicken, eggs.
Breakfast is either yogurt and fruit, or mushrooms with egg, sometimes bacon, Lunch veg soup, homemade, or salad with small amount of fish, cheese or egg if I didn't have egg at breakfast, dinner is a sort of inversion of the eatwell plate. I have at least half the plate with veg, then add some protein either meat or chicken and sometimes, a couple of times a week, some rice, or pasta. I tend to gain weight with too much rice pasta and bread so I keep the amounts small. This is not because they spike BG, but because I gain weight easily. Oh and I am weak. I snack on nuts and cheese. I like a beer or three, and do sometimes eat too much of everything. Then need to cut consumption to ND levels again to lose weight.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@moonchip

There are some threads about green smoothies. @Brunneria is particularly good at recommending them. I like them too, but haven't invested in a decent nutribullet machine, so mine tend to be a bit chewy, and the blender makes screeching sounds now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @moonchip

There's a link in my signature that will take you to a website with lower carb green smoothies for type 2s.

And welcome to the forum!

:D

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, @moonchip didn't mean to derail. Off to the naughty step I go.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol.
I'm sprawled, winding down for the night, and cruising the forum on my ipad. I guess it's just habit to check out the wee green flags as I move to the next page...

Oh, @ moonchip. There was a good thread on green smoothies over in the low carb section of the forum recently. Lots of discussion and recipes.

Those bullety blenders look like excellent value for money.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@moonchip

There are some threads about green smoothies. @Brunneria is particularly good at recommending them. I like them too, but haven't invested in a decent nutribullet machine, so mine tend to be a bit chewy, and the blender makes screeching sounds now.

My current blender is a cheap ASDA one - not the best but it 'blends' of a fashion, though like yours it screeches a bit and gets warm very quickly. Not particularly powerful so I guess it struggles. The Nutri Bullet is 600 watt but the Nutri Ninja is 900 watt, so I'm hoping it will blend smoothies with ease. Good video's & reviews on YouTube and its £20 cheaper than a bullet -- for the summer months, it'll also cope with ice

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checked my blender making my morning ND 'shake' and its only 500 watt, so the 900 watt Nutri Ninja would seem to be the better buy if only for power - a Nutri bullet is only rated at 100 watts higher than what I've already got

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @moonchip

There's a link in my signature that will take you to a website with lower carb green smoothies for type 2s.

And welcome to the forum!

:D
Thank you Brunerria - its a very useful web page and one that I'll be trying a few recipes off once I finish the ND.

Just enjoying my first ND shake of the day in scrumptious choccy cream flavour. Tastes even nicer than a Macci D milkshake and I now really enjoy shakes made with water - gives a 'cleaner' and fresher taste. I only use bottled water, always left in the porch (its colder than the fridge at this time of year)

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Flashtash2014 has recently finished ND so tagging him in case of support needed
@The little white hen is also doing it now I think shes on week 5 if not wrong
@AloeSvea is doing a VLCD too but not shakes instead having veggies.
Just a few people I know are all doing or have just finished
@Pipp is a legend, she's done it and a successful reversal example
I know @douglas99 had also recently finished his ND
@Andrew Colvin did a VLCD too if not wrong

Please correct me if i am wrong with any of the info given and I hope you guys dont mind me tagging for another NCDer and I wish to join you guys sooner than later, provided my ****** GP supports me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Flashtash2014 has recently finished ND so tagging him in case of support needed
@The little white hen is also doing it now I think shes on week 5 if not wrong
@AloeSvea is doing a VLCD too but not shakes instead having veggies.
Just a few people I know are all doing or have just finished
@Pipp is a legend, he's done it and a successful reversal example
I know @douglas99 had also recently finished his ND
@Andrew Colvin did a VLCD too if not wrong

Please correct me if i am wrong with any of the info given and I hope you guys dont mind me tagging for another NCDer and I wish to join you guys sooner than later, provided my ****** GP supports me.

As I like being called a legend I will forgive you for making me a bloke. I am a girl. A big bossy girl but definitely a girl.
Not sure about the legend label though. I am still very overweight but less than I was. Even so BG levels still fine and recent HbA1c good but only just.

A legend missed from list is @paulins she has been very successful and even though she did ND after me has given lots of excellent advice.