Tiredness

LisaMcintyre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone ever feel really tired all the time? I'm constantly tired all day and struggle to get up before noon anyone else experience any problems like this?

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Knackered drained wasted most of the time but .... I'm on heavy medication.
Never quite sure what's the cause.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
could be anything..
do you feel sad or down or angry ? excessive sleeping is also a symptom of depression

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone ever feel really tired all the time? I'm constantly tired all day and struggle to get up before noon anyone else experience any problems like this?
As Jack says, it could be just about anything - low thyroid, low D3, low B12, depression, etc. Best to see a doctor and get it checked out.

But yes, I felt that way before diagnosis as Type 2 - would eat breakfast, then still be so tired I'd go back to bed. I think the BG rollercoaster was partly responsible, but the biggest difference to me was also being diagnosed with low D3 and starting supplementation.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Having a Routine and purpose also have a big part to play....

Diabetes can knock both if you allow it.

Sometimes our own routine can get knocked down because of putting in the diabetic routine in our lives. Then our purpose in life can get knocked too. So it then knocks us into thinking that we're tired...

Can be medical causations too but for me I know that my world of routine and purpose got knocked severely when we moved to a different community a few years back. This had a huge impact on my wellbeing in general, although I only really recognised since moving back to a more vibrant place of living.

When my purpose and reason had been knocked it didn't give me reason for getting up (besides my dogs) so my worth went down and my "tiredness" overtook.

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I've had every test as I find myself exhausted a lot of the time. Nothing untoward showed up. I put it down to diabetes tbh as it's a constant 24/7 thing and as much as I may be in control of it subconsciously I guess it's always in the background (eating thinking carbs, sleeping thinking will I hypo, walk thinking will I need extra carbs or lower basal, under the weather thinking will I develop ketones etc etc). I've read about a lot of others who are tired all the time too.

Reactions: 6 people

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
constantly exhausted...got told by gp several years ago I have fibromyalgia and CFS. Have been through the local pain/fibro group, councelling, CBT, trying to teach myself mindfulness as the ever expanding waiting list locally is so long.....on 200mg thyroxine and have asked numerous times to try other thyroxine treatment but with no luck. all test results fine apparently. I can't work. fed up. constantly trying to find a way to feel better. blood sugars very hard to get stable, have been for years......done DAFNE years ago and still follow, was thinking of asking for a change of insulin as been on same ones for over a decade. novo rapid and either levemir or lantus. react on occasion to both basals.
4 metformin a day. been put forward for the pump at the mo and yet another dieticians appoint! fed up of those.....nothing seems to make any difference. I know what to do with my diet. I do suffer with stress.......so any thoughts? I have read on facebook from a gentleman that he swapped from novo to actrapid and found a difference for himself

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Megan

Ona pump your insulin will peobably just be novorapid. Unless the consultants can be peesuaded to try a different one.

I too was diagnosed with fibro because of my pains and indeed I was so **** bad it was chronic just walking my dogs 3 times a day and I was given full DLA.

Frame of mind has got alot to do with fibro...that purpose and routine in life that I described above.

My wellbeing returned but still got left with the chronic pains in legs which too has substantially, practically gone now. My wellbeing on returned when moving back intentionally to a vibrant place of living with good, younger people around me and lots of involvement to get my brain out of that pain mode. I struggled to get my legs back working by my old customers all wanting me back gardening, took up upholstery, going to the pictures, getting involved with community projects etc. i honestly didn't think it was my brain I thought it was all pain.. A person here suggested it might be living where we were and my lifestyle but to be honest I disbelieved it a little..I now see how true it was.

I had horrendous amounts of tablets from gabapentins, tramadol, lyrica, butrans patches etc. nothing shifted the pain I felt. Nothing until I got my routine back, hobbies, working etc.

My mum and nan suffered horrendous with their depression and given ECT treatment so I know depression could affect my ability of rationalisation to living.

Its not the same for everybody, my circumstances would be very different to any other person. However, fibromyalgia has now been wiped off my medical records and now my GP actually thinks I'm too happy and enthusiastic....

I know many fibro people do believe that pain stops everything and all enjoyment. I have been there. For me the only choice I really had left was to die in misery or change my life... Obviously I did the latter despite it being **** hard to do at the time.

So now I have been completely off any drugs except insulin for 3 years and pain..none in back or the 18 points used to diagnose fibro and certainly no DLA.

Just my story of life.. Everybody will have different experiences. Some live with fibro and tablets etc but I personally now, I do feel there is a cause for our brains to feel pain when actually there isn't a broken bone, pulled muscles etc..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

You should get checked out at your Dr's Lisa, being constantly tired and sleeping until noon isn't normal and blood tests may point to where the problem lies, so do see your gp asap rather than let things carry on as they are.

Reactions: 8 people

jussyblade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just lately im tired but working alot but its doing my head in on a weekend when im tired alot

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
constantly exhausted...got told by gp several years ago I have fibromyalgia and CFS. Have been through the local pain/fibro group, councelling, CBT, trying to teach myself mindfulness as the ever expanding waiting list locally is so long.....on 200mg thyroxine and have asked numerous times to try other thyroxine treatment but with no luck. all test results fine apparently. I can't work. fed up. constantly trying to find a way to feel better. blood sugars very hard to get stable, have been for years......done DAFNE years ago and still follow, was thinking of asking for a change of insulin as been on same ones for over a decade. novo rapid and either levemir or lantus. react on occasion to both basals.
4 metformin a day. been put forward for the pump at the mo and yet another dieticians appoint! fed up of those.....nothing seems to make any difference. I know what to do with my diet. I do suffer with stress.......so any thoughts? I have read on facebook from a gentleman that he swapped from novo to actrapid and found a difference for himself
Hi Megan, I suffered with extreme tiredbess/fatigue/drugged up feelings until I got myself off levemir and then lantus. I felt better on different long lasting insulins. Took Porcine for a year, did DAFNE and changed my diabetes team...success. I'm now on APIDRA and HUMULIN I and I also take 6 X 500mg metformin SR as I'm very insulin resistant.. What long lasting insulin are you on now. Novorapid stopped a few months so I ask the forum and DAFNE nurse and now on APIDRA...excellent.

stuartkneen

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other

I felt similar problems..of stress and tiredness..i did meditation and went for proper sleep...for a month..i am all ok now:)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought, but very low carbers
need to take extra salt every day. Their kidneys excrete too much salt, and too little of this screws up our intra-cell operations. It's important.

Could that be you?

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Megan,

This time last year I was feeling really tired. I have always been a tired person and would always fall asleep on the sofa by 9 pm. But last year it got really bad, all I could
Think about was sleep I was passing out on the sofa by 7pm and was going to bed before my children. I also felt irritable and looking back their were lots of other things that were not quite right.
My diabetes was also very unstable with very severe hypos. My husband was waking in the night to find me in hypo mode lol.
I would get very angry and he would have to physically restrain me to force me to drink lucozade etc. .. Afterwards I would have no recollection. I put all of these things down to being diabetic so just carried on.
It was during a routine appointment with my consultant that I talked to him about my hypos and other symptoms. He also commented on the colour of my skin which was very dark, I again could think of reasons why my skin wad dark like I had been to Florida 3 months before, I am olive skinned so therefor tan easily etc. .
The doctor said that he thought that I might be suffering from Addison disease he sent me for tests and within hours he was on the phone with my diagnosis.
To cut a long story short if my doctor hadn't been on the ball I could have got very sick very quickly as my body does not produce any cortisol which like insulin is very important for the body.
If you feel tired and not right don't put it all down to bring diabetic. As diabetics we are more prone to other auto immune disorders.
I am not saying that there is anything else wrong with you and I am not being alarmist.
I am just saying what happened to me.
Go to the doctors and get yourself checked out good luck and let us know how you get on.x

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry meant to address previous comment to LisaMcintyre x

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I hate being tired all the time. But I can't fool myself. I have noticed that fatigue comes with amount and timing of carbohydrates or food in general which increases blood sugar. It may just be part of diabetes and when you take anti-diabetic drugs you are a little less diabetic. But I am careful to understand that a hypo is worse than fatigue. I think hypos damage many organs (brain, heart) acutely more than hyper, ;which takes longer, i.e. years, and maybe decades.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I hate being tired all the time. But I can't fool myself. I have noticed that fatigue comes with amount and timing of carbohydrates or food in general which increases blood sugar. It may just be part of diabetes and when you take anti-diabetic drugs you are a little less diabetic. But I am careful to understand that a hypo is worse than fatigue. I think hypos damage many organs (brain, heart) acutely more than hyper, ;which takes longer, i.e. years, and maybe decades.

Hypers for T1's don't take decades to kill. An acquantance of mine (T1) died after 3 days of no insulin. Hypers can make people very, very ill in type 2's and you also damage your eyes and kidneys. Hypo's do not relate to chronic constant fatigue. Hypers may.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hypers for T1's don't take decades to kill. An acquantance of mine (T1) died after 3 days of no insulin. Hypers can make people very, very ill in type 2's and you also damage your eyes and kidneys. Hypo's do not relate to chronic constant fatigue. Hypers may.

I didn't know this. Perhaps Type 1 is different. Also, how high and how low may be important. Thanks and I am sorry your friend died of hyperglycemia. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I didn't know this. Perhaps Type 1 is different. Also, how high and how low may be important. Thanks and I am sorry your friend died of hyperglycemia. :)

I think it was a cry for help and something that he had given up. Apparently the acquanitance just stopped taling his injections and really started stuffing huge amounts of food. He'd been type1 for over 20 years so Don't actually know what he was thinking at the time.......