How much protein do you eat per day?.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find this interesting and hope others will share their information for comparison.

I weigh about 70 Kg [154 lbs ] and eat 84 grams of protein/day which represents 20 % of my daily calorie intake .ie 5% carbs 20% protein 75% oils/fats for total of 1680 cals/day.

The recommended amount is 0.8- 1.2 grams protein /Kg body weight ie that is 56-84 grams for me. I tried 56 grams but always was left feeling hungry, my BG results are quite good at this level so I have settled on this dosage for the meantime.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I eat about 225g-250g per day but I'm lc at the moment with a lot of weight training.

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I am 80kg and eat around 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat.
I eat less protein because I find it increases my BG levels.
Nearly all 'eat fat' food books I have read say you can eat more protein than the 'recommended' amount when on a low carb diet.... The recommended protein amount I believe is for those on 'normal' low fat diets. The more fat I eat the less hungry I get, and can go many hours now between meals. If you cut back on protein and increased carbs then you would get more hungrier.

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 80kg and eat around 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat.
I eat less protein because I find it increases my BG levels.
Nearly all 'eat fat' food books I have read say you can eat more protein than the 'recommended' amount when on a low carb diet.... The recommended protein amount I believe is for those on 'normal' low fat diets. The more fat I eat the less hungry I get, and can go many hours now between meals. If you cut back on protein and increased carbs then you would get more hungrier.
Me too - around 75-80g protein, 30g carbs & fat prob not as much as I should but did track it with MFP & it said 75%. Definitely helps keep me fuller with the fat & protein.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat about 225g-250g per day but I'm lc at the moment with a lot of weight training.
Presumably you mean 225/50g of meat/fish etc, i.e. serving size, rather than net protein content. For example a 60g piece of roast chicken contains about 16g net protein.

Better to disentangle the two. (That's why Bernstein talks about ounces for servings and grams for net content.)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Presumably you mean 225/50g of meat/fish etc, i.e. serving size, rather than net protein content. For example a 60g piece of roast chicken contains about 16g net protein.

Better to disentangle the two. (That's why Bernstein talks about ounces for servings and grams for net content.)
No @LucySW I mean 225-250g of protein. Or the equivalent of 750g of chicken breast.

Reactions: 3 people

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find this interesting and hope others will share their information for comparison.

I weigh about 70 Kg [154 lbs ] and eat 84 grams of protein/day which represents 20 % of my daily calorie intake .ie 5% carbs 20% protein 75% oils/fats for total of 1680 cals/day.

The recommended amount is 0.8- 1.2 grams protein /Kg body weight ie that is 56-84 grams for me. I tried 56 grams but always was left feeling hungry, my BG results are quite good at this level so I have settled on this dosage for the meantime.

Similar to Ian DP, I need to be careful with Protein intake, otherwise my blood-sugar levels get out of control. When I keep to less than 1g PRO per KG ideal body weight then I find that my levels stay well-behaved and I don't have to contend with Gluconeogenesis/Dawn Phenomenon.

One pedantic point . . . I often see on the forum the guideline that Pasha stated, to keep to 1g PRO per KG of body weight. I think the correct guideline is to stick to 1g PRO per KG of IDEAL body weight. If someone is starting LCHF/Ketogenic diet due to being overweight then this might be a very important difference!

My limit for PRO is 63g. If I try to limit myself to 63g PRO with chicken/turkey/beef then I do feel unsatisfied with the amount that I am eating. But when I eat duck/lamb/pork(fatty cuts) then I am well-satisfied.

Regards :)
Antony

Reactions: 8 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I increased my protein intake last year to over 200 grams per day (I weigh 90 Kg) and was shocked to find out my kidney function had decreased from ~ 90 Gfr to ~ 60 after ~ 3 months. Since this scare I have limited my protein to 40 grams per day and seen a reversal in my GFR, which is back up to 85. During the high intake period I noticed no difference in my blood sugar and got a rather good 5% HBA1C result for this period. I guess it was not digesting correctly which put a strain on the kidneys.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh about 55kg so according to that I should be eating about 66g protein, but I eat a lot more than that.

10% carbs, 20% protein, 70% fat

According to MFP I should be eating 100g taking my normal exercise into account. I am usually about 90g. net protein.

Is this too much? No kidney problems and good kidney bloods etc. Female aged 67, fit and healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I increased my protein intake last year to over 200 grams per day (I weigh 90 Kg) and was shocked to find out my kidney function had decreased from ~ 90 Gfr to ~ 60 after ~ 3 months. Since this scare I have limited my protein to 40 grams per day and seen a reversal in my GFR, which is back up to 85. During the high intake period I noticed no difference in my blood sugar and got a rather good 5% HBA1C result for this period. I guess it was not digesting correctly which put a strain on the kidneys.
Whilst easting high levels of protein, you do need to drink 4-5 litres of water per day.... That puts a bit of a strain on you too.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Whilst easting high levels of protein, you do need to drink 4-5 litres of water per day.... That puts a bit of a strain on you too.

I was drinking vast quantities of water / tea during this period and still had degraded kidney function (luckily it appears no permanent damage). I'm very cautious about protein intake these days.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was under the impression that too much protein is only bad if you already have kidney disease. Is this wrong?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
and I was told by my oncologist to drink as much as I can to flush out the kidneys - was 65 at the time!

Well of course , 65 is only middle aged after all. But yes, its a bit confusing when the experts dont seem to agree.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Assuming of course that you dont have a problem with gluconeogenesis
Well, you take enough insulin to manage the gluconeogenesis. It happens anyway. I've been running my lowest Hba1C while eating like this.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was under the impression that too much protein is only bad if you already have kidney disease. Is this wrong?

There not much on the net to say otherwise, but when I did the DAFNE course (type 1 carb counting course) the subject of protein came up in the Q & A session with the Consultant, he did say too much protein was bad for the kidneys and people with diabetes should limit their intake to the RDA.