Insulin Pumps

Leah01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been diagnosed type one diabetic for five years and been deliberating the pump for a little while. I am now trialling a pump with no insulin in to see how I get on. I would like a pump but I'm a bit concerned on where it will go when I wear tight/fitted clothes. Does anybody have any advice with the pumps in general and also what they do when they wear dress etc?

Any advice or comment would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Leah and welcome to the forum.

Which pump are you trialling, I've not long started on the Omnipod Pump and have to say pumping insulin is fantastic, they are hard work at first with loads of bg testing so that you get your basal rates right (they'll likely start you off on a flat rate) but its worth it in the end to level your bg out from morning to night.

There's two books I'd recommend that you read, one is Think Like a Pancreas which has some good information on pumps and the other book is Pumping Insulin, once you've read these you'll have a better understanding of how insulin pumps work and how to get the best from them. Good luck.

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi I got a pump last August and it has changed my life, I wear it clipped onto the front of my bra and have had no issues with having it there even with a tight top on nobody sees it. I have the Minimed Veo pump in pink and its small and compact. Any other questions happy to answer :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A pump is a great thing but not always right for everyone, you'll be getting a great idea on your trial at the moment.

The books that Noblehead has suggested are well worth investing in.

iHs

Hi,

I have been diagnosed type one diabetic for five years and been deliberating the pump for a little while. I am now trialling a pump with no insulin in to see how I get on. I would like a pump but I'm a bit concerned on where it will go when I wear tight/fitted clothes. Does anybody have any advice with the pumps in general and also what they do when they wear dress etc?

Any advice or comment would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance x

Ive spoken about this so many times now........you can literally position the pump vertical in the centre of your bra. The best bras are in my opinion are those lycra T shirt type that sell in markets and £ shops and you can also get them on ebay or amazon ......wash really well, dry quickly and the pump stays nice and safe so wont come out unless going to funfairs etc and going upside down on rides but pumps are meant to be taken off anyway so no big deal really. Ive worn fairly tight fitting t shirts and no one has noticed the pump as its hidden by my boobs which arent big by any means. When I need to bolus, I can just pull the pump out from either the bottom of my tshirt or from the neck. A long tube helps. Although Ive now got the Vibe because of cgm, my first pump was the Combo and the pump just stayed in my bra and I used the bg meter handset to deliver a bolus.....no problem. Pumps can also be kept in tight fitting lycra pants and also in pockets and spibelts so nothing is impossible.

If there is a time when a bolus needs to be given and the pump hasnt got a remote, then if wearing something like a dress with a high neck, there's always the insulin pen to deliver the bolus and the pump can just stay hidden to deliver the basal.......no problem

The books mentioned are worth getting but with regards to the Pumping Insulin book......it goes into great detail all about what pumps are about with loads of graphs etc. Some people find it good to read while some find it complicated. I found it helpful once I started to use a pump for a few months and then stuff started to fall into place and make sense. There is loads of info now about pumps on internet forums and loads of info. Years ago, there was only info on the USA forums but now the UK has them so most problems get discussed.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a pump for a year now. I'm a bloke, but I am seriously considering "the op" so I can get a bra to conveniently stash my pump.

Reactions: 10 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a pump for a year now. I'm a bloke, but I am seriously considering "the op" so I can get a bra to conveniently stash my pump.
Although the "tight fitting lycra pants" (referred to above) also sound like an intriguing option.

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Although the "tight fitting lycra pants" (referred to above) also sound like an intriguing option.
Lovely to see a bit of humour on this forum;)

Leah01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your comments - greatly appreciated. I have experimented with having the pump in different places, you can see it when I wear the balconette bra, but there are always ways round these things I've never been on a forum before so thank you for your comments, it has been so helpful and I will look to get the books. I am looking forward to getting the real pump now!