New App Concept - would love feedback

mobilepri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys - I’m building an App at the moment which I hope will help my diabetic colleagues, and I’d love some feedback from you to help guide me.

I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic 2 years ago and rather than take medication, I decided to control my condition through diet and exercise, and in doing so I managed to get my HbA1C readings in target range. However as you all know, it’s a constant battle!

The Problem
To help manage my condition, I have to log my blood glucose readings regularly to check my trend information and target ranges, and also to see how this correlates to my diet & exercise. The meters themselves (I use the SD Codefree) seem to be pretty accurate, and test strips reasonably priced, but their data analysis is pretty limited and I can't see detailed fitness and dietary data in the same place - so typically I have to find ways to export the data from the meter into a PC to analyse it alongside fitness & dietary data.

I got really fed up having to punch in data manually into Apps/Spreadsheets, or continually having to attach cables to my PC to download data. I also found it almost impossible to export this data into a format that is appropriate for food journal/fitness apps such as myfitnesspal, or Healthkit, etc - to check any correlations.

There are some new devices that integrate to your phone directly (e.g. iBGStar), but they don’t seem to be as reliable/accurate as the conventional meters, and are relatively expensive in terms of test strips. Also - exporting the data off the associated App seems to be unsupported.

My Solution
What I wanted was an App that could extract and log the data from any blood glucose meter, show me immediate trend information and correlations with health/dietary data from other Apps, and also let me export the data in CSV format, or automatically route the data to other applications, e.g. mySugr, MyFitnessPal, Healthkit.

So I decided that I’d create this - it’s called iLogg and here’s a quick video of the App in action. It’s not the best quality video ever, but hopefully conveys the idea,.

Do other people share the same problems I encountered, and would anyone else find this app useful? I would love to hear any feedback you have.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's already been done, in hardware and in software. Sorry.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an Android app I wrote several years ago when there were few options available.
I like the screen recognition aspect of this & therefore the possibility of using it with a wide range of devices. Having said that it only takes a moment to type 6.9 or whatever.
As Spiker says there are now numerous options for recording data but if you can build up a comprehensive list of conversions to the various existing anaysis softwares it could be useful.
Also of course there may be none diabetes applications where this could be useful.
Just remember me when you make your first million!

Reactions: 2 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I think it could be helpful if you were able to scan a range of meters and record the results

A number of members here have 2 or more meters and this would consolidate the data

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't be discouraged, there is a data lead for the Codefree i understand but your method of input seems unique to me and may work across a range of meters.
I have used MyFitnessPal and it is great having a large database of UK foods, but what I would really like to see is the MyFitnessPal database with glycemic index and glycemic load included. The current GI apps are so American, and limited, so that to me would be a very useful application.
The best of luck with this and if you want some beta test volunteers you only have to ask....

mobilepri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your feedback, this really helps me gauge what would be most useful in terms of features. I agree that consolidation of data across meters/devices into existing analysis products is pretty important. I'm aiming to make it work on other devices too, e.g. blood pressure monitors, weighing scales etc but that may come later.

Initially I want to make the user experience really quick and easy so people don't need to use cables, nor manual typing; making logging a pleasant insightful experience rather than a chore.

There's still some way to go before I can release a beta version, but yes it would be *wonderful* if there were some people who would help test it out!

@Md.rose, out of curiosity - do you track nutritional information from MyFitnessPal against your BG readings? If so, what do you use for that? Interesting point on GI info, yeh it is indeed lacking.

M

Member224397

The MySugr Importer app does pretty much the same: https://mysugr.com/importer/

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with my device (Accu-Chek Aviva Nano). I think the app not only reads the glucose levels, but also the date. This would allow quick "batch imports" of stored values, which would actually save time. I agree that just typing two digits is probably faster than taking a picture.

I'm an electrical engineer and was thinking about developing an IR reader (that connects to the headset port) to read the stored values off the device, but haven't have time to build a prototype yet.