Insulin resistance confusion

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c when i had it done in January was 45, which i believe is right on the borderline for Diabetes, but still Doctor won't prescribe Metformin. Does anyone know if there is an alternative to Metformin that i can get?

You might want to check out Berberine.
It has had some investigation as an alternative to metformin, but you would have to buy it, and I think it needs further study before I would feel confident taking it.

My view is that low carbing does far more for my PCOS and bg control than MEtformin, which works in specific and quite limited ways.

Exercise will lower insulin resistence for about 80% of people - and in my experience does so far better than metformin.

I don't lose weight on LC (even VLC) unless I exercise consistently. but I am not talking about massive gym or circuit training sessions. I am talking about 8000 steps a day, a few flights of stairs, and keeping consistently under 50g carbs a day (prob far less, because I almost never eat starchy veg in any from and eat no grains any more).

Last edited by a moderator:

CheekyAngel

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I've started taking Magnesium, Selenium & Chronium. The health shop lady said Chronium helps with sugar cravings and also helps with sugar levels