tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have decided to buy a blood monitor.
Codefree Blood Glucose Monitor

One has got the reading mg/dL
the other has mmol/L

has it got something to do with the readings, wanting something simple to use and understand. cheers

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi tinks21 you need the mmol/L meter, it is simple to use and should help you get an idea of how you react to your food,

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here in the UK we commonly use the mmol/L range settings where as in America the preference is for the reading to be measured in mmol/dL the reading appears vastly different but are actually the same thing expressed in two separate ways. Just think of temperature it can be measured in either centigrade or Fahrenheit.
There is a simple mathematical conversion that changes one range to the other, but if you are living here in the UK then go for the mmol/L blood/glucose meter..

Reactions: 2 people

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am I correct in thinking that if I take a reading before a meal then a reading 2 hours after and the reading stays in the safe zone so to speak in the future would I be able to eat that meal knowing that I'd be ok.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I correct in thinking that if I take a reading before a meal then a reading 2 hours after and the reading stays in the safe zone so to speak in the future would I be able to eat that meal knowing that I'd be ok.

That's pretty much how it works tinka, although I would still test the same meal again sometimes readings differ , just keep on monitoring, the more fine tuned you are the better control you'll have. Some folks test at 1 hour and at 2 hours.

Personally I test first thing when I wake, then pre and post 1h & 2h each meal x 3, so I'm testing about 10 times a day, but I'm new and a bit obsessed with it.

I would also recommend testing in-between if you feel off.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
.......and don't forget that activity, even just walking around, will change the readings. So the same food will in theory supply the same amount of energy but if you use it up by running or doing house work your BG levels will change at different rates.

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couple a cups of tea and a bacon sandwich (2 slices of brown bread) What readings should i be looking for.cheers

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep it is slightly high, missus said i wasnt doing it right, had another go...12.7

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How often should i be checking my BG, is it before and after breakfast,dinner and tea. cheers

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as soon as you wake, pre and post each meal, usually 2 hours after.

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Refer to the guidelines @daisy1 gave you in the Alcohol thread
This will give you ranges to aspire to (and try to keep within)

My reading on diagnosis was 16.1 and now I'm getting 5.1's
I follow LCHF and have found that weight loss have dramatically improved my readings
As I drop weight, so do my readings