Status
Not open for further replies.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I had the salmon teryaki tonight. It was delicious.
Also the spicy chickpea salad, very good and filling.
Supposed to be having a few strawberries and Greek yogurt
for afters. But I'm still to full!
Sounds lovely... chickpeas spike me still, but I live in hope... :) Was the teriyaki homemade? Is there sugar in it that you can replace with sweeteners... I love teriyaki salmon and have missed it.... I am slowly adding a few carbs, but I find it nerve-wracking when I see the higher numbers... Have you seen the other thread on here - 'What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?' We post our fasting readings which we hopefully take as soon as we get up and wash our hands... the routine makes it obvious when there are any changes in our readings... it's very interesting and tends to keep people on their toes... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hiya Brunneria, I bought all the ingredients but didn't get round to making it. I plan to make it this weekend :)
It is fabulous @Brunneria - I have to stop myself from pigging out on it... I warm it for a few seconds in them mic then pour lactose free cream on it... :) so greedy...

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Exactly! Do you use Brown or golden linseed for the micro muffin? Mine was really greasy; mayb I used too much?
I always use golden for some reason... I have almost perfected it to my tastes I reckon... In a large coffee cup (French breakfast style) I melt 1/2 tbsp coconut oil for a few seconds in the mic, beat 1 egg into it, add 2 tbsp milled flax, 1 tbsp groung almonds, 1/4 baking powder, salt to taste, a tip of tsp xanthan gum, and a tsp shelled hemp seeds - stir well, scrape down sides to neaten, pop in mic for 2 seconds... I usually mash in a tbsp of Philly too... I slice it and toast it most days... I have found that the same mix will make wonderful crackers if I cut it thin enough - although I should pop it raw in the oven probably? - and I'm experimenting with double the mix and a different container later today... I'm so happy with my 'toast'... I have ulcerative colitis so never could eat bread really, which makes it more of a treat... :) I spread it with Roquefort this morning but made blueberry 'jam' from wrinkled ones yesterday and will have a slice with butter and 'jam' as a snack later... :hungry::joyful: Small things, now, in my world please me hugely I find... my weight-loss and flat tummy, plus the control of my UC since I started low-carbing has made me happy, but evangelical... :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone , I've been trying really hard to stay on track . Had quite a bit of stress in my life since December for various reasons that I won't bore you with . Anyway things are settling down and I need to get back on track , sooooo glad I've read your posts and got some real inspiration again . Going to try some of your good ideas. Waiting for my testing strips to arrive from Amazon.

The other thing is me and my husband are going Greek island hopping in the summer , any tips on availability of low carb food and can I get diet lemonade or diluting juice ? I hate diet coke

I've always found Greece excellent for low carb style food. Lots of lovely fresh salads. the expectation is a salad with every main dish. And lots of grilled meat and fish based dishes, with tarama and hummus and stuff... am jealous. it is 9 years since I spent time there. :(

You may find soft drinks ridiculously expensive (or maybe times have changed?). I always went for water.

Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi everyone , I've been trying really hard to stay on track . Had quite a bit of stress in my life since December for various reasons that I won't bore you with . Anyway things are settling down and I need to get back on track , sooooo glad I've read your posts and got some real inspiration again . Going to try some of your good ideas. Waiting for my testing strips to arrive from Amazon.

The other thing is me and my husband are going Greek island hopping in the summer , any tips on availability of low carb food and can I get diet lemonade or diluting juice ? I hate diet coke
Good news that your life is finally settling down... :) Try to find Oasis, Mighty Drops (M&S maybe, can't remember now) - they will fit in your suitcase - in a ziplock bag - and are lovely... I have mixed berry and it tastes a bit like Ribena... I take a pot everywhere with me now... it stands at 3.5" or 9cm... :) Low carb food in Greece is easy... plenty of grilled, or slow-cooked good meat.. Large, lush Greek salad with lovely feta, on the side, and a glass of red wine to help keep your numbers down - if you drink of course... you should get 7-Up or Sprite sugar-free everywhere you go... seafood and fish galore with salad or grilled veg... you will have no trouble and I envy you your holiday... have a blast... :joyful: PS Taramasalata has breadcrumbs and hummus is good in small amounts... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Has anyone tried using granulated sweetener to make meringue? Be good if it works...meringues sandwiched together with cream. Had a microwave recipe that used icing sugar - maybe I could put the sweetener in my grinder make it like icing sugar.....
I haven't - but you've made me think... my husband loves meringue... :) I'll maybe try later and keep you posted...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I forgot about that and don't think I saved the recipe.....
Stracciatella cake: 110gm softened butter; 120g cream cheese; 5 med eggs; 185g almond flour (ground almonds); sweetener equivalent to 100g. sugar (I use trivia - perfect); 1tbsp baking powder; vanilla, almond or orange essence; 50g of 75-85% chocolate - I use solid cacao..... Oven 170C....lightly grease a small loaf tin.... Mix butter and cream cheese really well; add sweetener and essence; mix in eggs really well, one at a time; stir in almond flour and BP; add chocolate bits... pour mix into tin and level the top; 55 minutes at 170C fan - 190 non-fan assisted.... apparently the cake freezes well too... perfect cake, eh? :) The best thing is, I always have all the ingredients to hand... or is that the worst thing... :confused:

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry, been rambling again... :sorry:

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Can anyone tell me where I can get some of these great recipes that people have been making?

Breakfast I had a cheese omelette with two eggs
Lunch I am having chicken and mayo rocket salad
Tea not quite decided yet.........

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 days to report:

Yesterday: breakfast of amazingness in hotel, including a cocoa chia pudding, was 5.5 2 hours afterwards so delighted.
No lunch
Dinner was at an event so:
Starters of battered prawns (I had 2), smoked salmon, feta, cold meats. Main: panfried salmon with 1 new potato and a bit of veg. Dessert: a rare dessert for me, 3 petit fours (2 were chocolate sponge and 1 was a profiterole). 2 glasses white wine.
After dinner I was still feeling very hungry. Unusual for me. Must have been the increased carb count. So I ordered hotel room service but this is the hotel of Paleo amazingness remember so I had an utterly gorgeous beef cheek curry with a small bowl of cauliflower rice. It was SO delicious.

Today: B: final buffet in hotel (sob). Even my baby loves the chia seed puddings and they keep him going for ages without getting hungry by lunchtime. I really must look up some recipes.
L: none as I was on a plane.
D: veg frittata, and 6 little ricotta tart things made with prosciutto instead of pastry.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today: Usual mixed cereals brekky with soya milk - took me from 5.4 to 7.6 ....weird, never does that usually abt 0.5 up
Dinner: 2 egg scramble, ton of grated cheese, 2 buttered ryvita .....that's better down to 4.3 2.5 hrs post (forget what pre was)
Tea: Lancashire hotpot, cabbage, pickled red cabbage....didn't test pre but post 2.5 hrs 6.6.....I'll defo take that, tested again but going down. Just realised I pigged out and followed tea by full bar of sugar free mint choc.......numbers even better considering that......
Snack, ERM leftover jelly with oranges to make room in fridge for the shopping and cold cabbage after tea
Soya latte at bedtime.......

That'll all be helping with the weight loss then........

Reactions: 7 people
S

Sable_Jan

Sorry to hear you've had a bad time of it recently... all credit to you for getting back on track.....a lot of the Robinson's fruit juice/cordial/squash are sugar free, but also Aldi and Asda have their own brands (and am sure other supermarkets too) as many are also concentrated these days you should get away with fewer bottles... My daughter gets them for her girls....Oh, just realised you mean over in Greece :facepalm: :oops: but guess you could carry a certain number of them with you.... Mum used to like Jif lemon in water - not sure I would but maybe worth a try so you could take a couple of those with you? They do lime ones now too (not sure if its Jif but similar)

S

Sable_Jan

I always use golden for some reason... I have almost perfected it to my tastes I reckon... In a large coffee cup (French breakfast style) I melt 1/2 tbsp coconut oil for a few seconds in the mic, beat 1 egg into it, add 2 tbsp milled flax, 1 tbsp groung almonds, 1/4 baking powder, salt to taste, a tip of tsp xanthan gum, and a tsp shelled hemp seeds - stir well, scrape down sides to neaten, pop in mic for 2 seconds... I usually mash in a tbsp of Philly too... I slice it and toast it most days... I have found that the same mix will make wonderful crackers if I cut it thin enough - although I should pop it raw in the oven probably? - and I'm experimenting with double the mix and a different container later today... I'm so happy with my 'toast'... I have ulcerative colitis so never could eat bread really, which makes it more of a treat... :) I spread it with Roquefort this morning but made blueberry 'jam' from wrinkled ones yesterday and will have a slice with butter and 'jam' as a snack later... :hungry::joyful: Small things, now, in my world please me hugely I find... my weight-loss and flat tummy, plus the control of my UC since I started low-carbing has made me happy, but evangelical... :)
Just thought - do you measure your flax seeds AFTER milling or BEFORE? It could make a big difference I guess - i measured two tbsp of unmilled seeds.....and didn't use ground almonds (don't think my recipe mentioned that) nor the bit of gum. I think also I used too flat a container - a shallow dish that I thought would shape it to barm cake proportions..... I think too that I used melted butter not coconut oil

S

Sable_Jan

Stracciatella cake: 110gm softened butter; 120g cream cheese; 5 med eggs; 185g almond flour (ground almonds); sweetener equivalent to 100g. sugar (I use trivia - perfect); 1tbsp baking powder; vanilla, almond or orange essence; 50g of 75-85% chocolate - I use solid cacao..... Oven 170C....lightly grease a small loaf tin.... Mix butter and cream cheese really well; add sweetener and essence; mix in eggs really well, one at a time; stir in almond flour and BP; add chocolate bits... pour mix into tin and level the top; 55 minutes at 170C fan - 190 non-fan assisted.... apparently the cake freezes well too... perfect cake, eh? :) The best thing is, I always have all the ingredients to hand... or is that the worst thing... :confused:
Thanks for that - have now saved it. I need to get some ground almonds - which reminds me my pack of chia seeds was delivered this morning but it still outside - postie pops parcels over the gate if i don't answer the door and I've still not brought them in - nor my HMDI cable which was in the same delivery

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Late start at work so 2 fried eggs and 2 rashers of bacon.
L. Boiled eggs, breakfast balls, cauliflower tortillas, salad.
D. Poached haddock, mashed cauliflower, peas and sweetcorn. Jelly n cream. bg post 2h 6.2

Upped my cream intake this week, no bread at all and not craving it. Think I havent been eating enough fat recently which is why I have been so hungry and craving bread. In a good place now.. :)

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 9bar indulge and a coffeencream
L: crustless quiche with feta stuffed peppers
D: chicken thighs and chicken liver, sautéed with onion, then tinned tomato and horseradish added. With green beans and sugarsnaps.
S: 3 squares good choc.

And I got enough sleep. For the first time in about 3 weeks.

It was bliss.

I have felt almost human, all day.

:D

Reactions: 9 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Waitrose & Tesco both showed empty shelves where the 9bars had been this week. I wonder if someone's been on a raiding party?

Reactions: 5 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can anyone tell me where I can get some of these great recipes that people have been making?

Breakfast I had a cheese omelette with two eggs
Lunch I am having chicken and mayo rocket salad
Tea not quite decided yet.........
You can find recipes on this forum - the thread is called 'Low Carb Recipes'... you'll find all sorts of lovely things... :) look back up the thread to 6854 and you'll see I reposted Stracciatella Cake, which came from Brunneria I think... it's lush... and 6850 - I posted my lovely microwave bread I make, slightly altered from someone's original... :)

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.