injecting my bum cheek, just cant do it

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After some advise on here i have decided to move my injection spots, after at least 10 years of using my thighs i now have large lumps that look like fat although im slim and exercise daily. People suggested arms , bum and stomach. Trouble is i work out my arms and stomach a lot and dont have very much fat to inject. I do have a good handfull on my bum cheeks though. Last night i tried to do it and as soon as the needle touched the skin i freaked, it brought me back to my childhood when aged 9 or 10 my mother said i needed to learn to do my own injections and it was Extremely stressful and upsetting to bring myself to inject because I have a phobia of needles. To this day i do not look while injecting and i inject slowly , push the needle till it touches the skin and then put it in slow and steady. My friends whos also type 1 thinks its weird as he just grabs then pen and sticks it straight into the jag spot.
Any advise , i know it sounds stupid but all habits die hard

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could you not try feeling round with the pen and guide the needle in without looking. its tricky injecting in the bum but after a few goes it does get easier, must be awful for you having a needle phobia James.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
practice with a mirror for a few times without a needle?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, I'm like your friend. I do the same. When I was first diagnosed, they tried to get me to inject into an orange to try it out and I just went straight into my leg.

Is it possible that the slow approach you take actually adds to your anxiety and doing it quickly may overcome this?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my experience Tim has a point, learning to inject quickly when I was first diagnosed reduced my anxiety a lot.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I inject in my bottom every night, left then right, actually I prefer that way rather than legs, can't really use my stomach, but have to use the outer tummy circle. First time I was told I had to inject ( in hospital) was in my leg, I was scared, anxious, sweat pouring off of me, but a big deep breath and it was over and done with, and I'm a big medical wuss really, considering Nursing runs through my family:rolleyes:. One, two , three, deep breaths.................... and go for it, it's the unknown that the scariest.

Good luck and all the best.

RRB :)

Reactions: 4 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
They are so small and fine I really don't feel it at all. The trick for me is just to stab it in quickly because you don't feel it going through the flesh. When you do it slowly you feel the whole length of the needle going in and that's why it will hurt.
After some advise on here i have decided to move my injection spots, after at least 10 years of using my thighs i now have large lumps that look like fat although im slim and exercise daily. People suggested arms , bum and stomach. Trouble is i work out my arms and stomach a lot and dont have very much fat to inject. I do have a good handfull on my bum cheeks though. Last night i tried to do it and as soon as the needle touched the skin i freaked, it brought me back to my childhood when aged 9 or 10 my mother said i needed to learn to do my own injections and it was Extremely stressful and upsetting to bring myself to inject because I have a phobia of needles. To this day i do not look while injecting and i inject slowly , push the needle till it touches the skin and then put it in slow and steady. My friends whos also type 1 thinks its weird as he

Hi jamesmacc,

Like you I'm slim so I use a 6mm needle. If your using longer ones I would suggest changing to 6mm.

They are so small and fine I really don't feel it at all. The trick for me is just to stab it in quickly because you don't feel it going through the flesh. When you do it slowly you feel the whole length of the needle going in and that's why it will hurt.

Also don't do what I do sometimes and use the same needle more than once. Change after each injection to take advantage of the needle being at its sharpest.

Like robinredbreast advised just bung it in quickly. You really will be amazed at how much better it is doing it that way.

Good luck,

KevFitz

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
How the heck can you twist round to get it in your bum cheek, I'd find that impossible!

Kelsie

I use my bum the most as that's the only part of my body that has fat, I am very lean and bruise/react super easily if I inject in my tummy, thighs or arms. I used to use a mirror but now I'm so used to it I just twist and inject. I used to have a huge phobia of needles too therefore I do it really quickly where it is then painless. If I did it slowly and punctured the skin, that hurts a lot! But like you said it's hard to change habits, but honestly the quicker you inject the needle the far far less painful it is :)

Reactions: 2 people

senior1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After some advise on here i have decided to move my injection spots, after at least 10 years of using my thighs i now have large lumps that look like fat although im slim and exercise daily. People suggested arms , bum and stomach. Trouble is i work out my arms and stomach a lot and dont have very much fat to inject. I do have a good handfull on my bum cheeks though. Last night i tried to do it and as soon as the needle touched the skin i freaked, it brought me back to my childhood when aged 9 or 10 my mother said i needed to learn to do my own injections and it was Extremely stressful and upsetting to bring myself to inject because I have a phobia of needles. To this day i do not look while injecting and i inject slowly , push the needle till it touches the skin and then put it in slow and steady. My friends whos also type 1 thinks its weird as he just grabs then pen and sticks it straight into the jag spot.
Any advise , i know it sounds stupid but all habits die hard

senior1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 10 years ago and was put on metformin this was fine till a routine blood test found the my kidney function was low so this was changed to gliclazide but after a while I had to stop taking it when it gave me severe constipation The doctor decided to put me on insulin. I wasn't very happy about injecting myself but the doctor guided me through and gave me the confidence to do it myself. He said the best place was in my stomach I have tried my thigh and my bum cheeks but I find my stomach is the best place for me

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have tried injecting in my buttock but it hurts as I have limited movement side to side