Lower BS after eating

MidnightStar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was wondering if any one can advise as to why your BS would be lower 2 hours after eating. Yesterday it went from 6.7 to 6.1 and today from 6.1 to 5.5. Thank you.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What were you eating? Sounds nicely low-carb, whatever.
Provided you washed and dried your hands every time, that leaves the variability of the meter itself, which is around +/-15%, I believe.
Another cause of lower BS may be exercise, even a short walk, after eating.
My BS is often lower after my breakfast porridge, which is apparently almost impossible :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Which meals were they? If it was breakfast it could well be the "before" reading was artificially high due to a liver dump and was on its way down before you ate a very low carb breakfast. I have seen this with other posters at breakfast time. Never happens to me :( but there again I rarely get liver dumps. :)

MidnightStar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was my lunch. Olives chicken pieces cherry tomatoes cheese and an apple

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is sorted. Combination of low carb modest lunch -- some people can have apple without penalty -- bit of exercise (stairs can work wonders) and variable meter accuracy. Does that sound reasonable?

Reactions: 6 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I was going to say that maybe you have been giving a bit more insulin than is needed before meals.

This is what I do normally with very good results as I cant be bothered with all the carb counting and Pythagoras Theorem stuff (cat lazy really!)

Though DeejayR conclusion gets my vote.

KevFitz

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if I eat red meet and no or little carbs my BS will remain almost the same

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, it's not unusual for mine to drop after eating, sometimes it is unexpected. Liver dumps can happen at any time during the day - especially if you miss a snack (I try to have something every 2.5-3 hours). Don't forget that the act of eating and the subsequent digestive process uses energy, so given what you ate, the energy used eating, and going up/down stairs it doesn't sound unusual at all.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A large percentage of the time now my readings can be almost identical before and 2 hours after eating or sometimes drop a bit afterwards... I'm just happy when this happens. :p I'm on a very low carb highish fat diet and nicely in ketosis, and assume that for these meals I'm just eating the correct amount of food/carbs not to spike me. And like Donna says you do also use some energy when eating, etc too!

If it worries, you could maybe try testing at 1 hour after eating as well, and see if you get a rise then. Some carbs (e.g.sugary ones) can do that, and slow release carbs may cause later spikes; you'll find posts about the tests people have done for these variations.

Robbity