A warning about Quorn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am 99 % sure it was this, never eaten it before, perfectly, well, fit and healthy and I was incredibly sick. I wont eat it again.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe, maybe not. If it doesn't suit you then it doesn't suit you.

I'm the mother of a newly diagnosed teenager finding my way around stuff at the moment. Some of the science bases for the claims I am seeing on these forums are making me uneasy. Just think balance is important, that's all.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Maybe, maybe not. If it doesn't suit you then it doesn't suit you.

I'm the mother of a newly diagnosed teenager finding my way around stuff at the moment. Some of the science bases for the claims I am seeing on these forums are making me uneasy. Just think balance is important, that's all.

I had a reaction, I posted about it, other members also posted on the subject and have posted links to how this product is made. This is just one of many, many posts. on the forum. As I said, I will NOT be eating the product again. There are so many lovely posts on the forum, from some lovely caring, supportive and helpful members. Have you posted or read any of these? They are marvellous and I'm sure others would say similar.

Regards RRB

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
As quorn does not suit you, this forum does not suit me.

Bad science and passive aggressive people are not my thing.

Please feel free to quote me.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Unfortunate, as you could have found this an excellent source of support and information.

Why not start a thread in the 'introductions' section. You will encounter a lot of members there, and exchange information and ideas.
It must be an anxious time with newly diagnosed teenager. Teenagers and their parents can have enough to deal with without the added angst of a diabetes diagnosis.

No harm in eating Quorn if it suits, and we here should respect your right to that opinion. I know I do.
Hope you get the support and information you need for your teen. Would be good if you could stick around and share experiences too.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not read all the above thread, but, I'm a veggie and yes I eat quorn.
The antibiotic, trimethoprim is far more dangerous to me than any quorn.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I have not read all the above thread, but, I'm a veggie and yes I eat quorn.
The antibiotic, trimethoprim is far more dangerous to me than any quorn.
Ok milliesue, forewarned is forearmed ::))

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Is your choice with this Quorn topic related thread here .
Feel free to browse our other threads within the forum .
This thread alone - ISNT the whole forum nor the whole picture to us all here .

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a reaction, I posted about it, other members also posted on the subject and have posted links to how this product is made. This is just one of many, many posts. on the forum. As I said, I will NOT be eating the product again. There are so many lovely posts on the forum, from some lovely caring, supportive and helpful members. Have you posted or read any of these? They are marvellous and I'm sure others would say similar.

Regards RRB

Watch out for the antibiotic trimethoprim, I had a VERY bad recalion to it.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Never like the sound of quorn, why eat something that sounds like its grows on your feet, a fungus too... i've read it is fed on waste from cereals, i have had it disguised as spaghetti boll and shepherds pie and i always get the.... "can you tell its not meat?" and i never can. Duped every time. Never been ill on it tho. Hope u feel better soon.

Reactions: 4 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I am confused @millysue . Is trimethoprim a component of Quorn?

No sorry, I should have made myself clearer.
I was just trying to say just because a person is allergic to quorn, it doesn't mean that everyone should avoid it.
I like quorn, and have never had a problem with it.
On the other hand I am very allergic to the antibiotic trimethoprim, but this doesn't mean all should avoid it.
Again it just shows, we are all different.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was just trying to say just because a person is allergic to quorn, it doesn't mean that everyone should avoid it.
On the other hand I am very allergic to the antibiotic trimethoprim, but this doesn't mean all should avoid it.

Hi, thanks for the explanation, it does say on the cardboard box it can cause a rare allergy, vomiting, hives, breathing problems. but looking into how it is grown? manufactured?, I am steering clear of it. I just wanted to find out if others had been affected and then went from there.

Best wishes RRB

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Never like the sound of quorn, why eat something that sounds like its grows on your feet, a fungus too... i've read it is fed on waste from cereals, i have had it disguised as spaghetti boll and shepherds pie and i always get the.... "can you tell its not meat?" and i never can. Duped every time. Never been ill on it tho. Hope u feel better soon.

Mushrooms, that's a fungus, I like that as well.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I love mushrooms and have no trouble with them at all.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi, thanks for the explanation, it does say on the cardboard box it can cause a rare allergy, vomiting, hives, breathing problems. but looking into how it is grown? manufactured?, I am steering clear of it. I just wanted to find out if others had been affected and then went from there.

Best wishes RRB
With potential side effects like that I'd rather eat the cardboard box.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.
I understand, I think you mean lots of things can cause an allergic reaction, and people react to different substances.
I do have allergies to lots of things. Sometimes I have an allergic reaction, but do not know what it is that caused it. So, would be cautious about any food or medicine that is known to cause allergic reaction for some people, be that foods or medicines. What I have gained from reading this thread is that Quorn has been known to cause an allergic reaction for some people. I have eaten Quorn. No ill effects. I may eat Quorn again. What I did not know is how it is produced. I believed it was a derivative of mushrooms. I did not know it was such a highly processed synthetic food. I think I was very naive as I do like to make informed choices about what I eat.