Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Kezza

I'm sorry to hear you have found it difficult to loose weight but 18lbs is a great achievement, well done!

How long was it after starting LCHF that your BG reduced? Mine has reduced somewhat but not enough and I have been doing it over 3 weeks I think.

I am not eating the full amount of calories that My Fitness Pal advised, they said 1200 and I am eating approx. 750-800, so maybe that's something I need to look at. I imagined eating less would help but it doesn't seem to be doing. Though I am strugglying to find foods that have the right amount of calories.

Thank you for posting, hope to see you around.

Hi Scottie, just stopped by the forum and read your posts. I don't eat masses of fat, but quite like full fat yoghurt, butter on veg etc. I thought your idea of eating more sounds good, I was just reading something about this today, apparently if we don't eat enough our body kind of prepares for starvation, it slows down our metabolism and slows our use of calories/energy.....eating breakfast was advised as our body then knows food available!!

Do you like fish, would that be a nice meal with veg?

All the very best

D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

scottie1

Hi Scottie, just stopped by the forum and read your posts. I don't eat masses of fat, but quite like full fat yoghurt, butter on veg etc. I thought your idea of eating more sounds good, I was just reading something about this today, apparently if we don't eat enough our body kind of prepares for starvation, it slows down our metabolism and uses up energy.....eating breakfast was advised as our body then knows food available!!

Do you like fish, would that be a nice meal with veg?

All the very best

D

Hi Daffodil

That's interesting, I have been eating less than the required 1200 calories and think I may be suffering because of this. Been talking to my husband and he is thinking that I am feeling so ill due to either low-carbing or not eating enough. I've been sobbing my heart out tonight, due to both being so ill and also the frustration I am feeling. My goal whilst it is both to lose weight and keep it off, it is also imperative to get my BG levels to normal readings. I am finding out about 'spikes', my BG went up to 20 from 15 when I ate potatos, the same happened with a fish from the fish shop, even though it was lightly battered (bit like me at the moment). So as time goes on, I can adjust accordingly to what spikes me and what doesn't whilst still LCHF.

I do like fish and now could eat some vegatables I think, so that's a good idea, thank you.

The only thing I could eat for breakfast is cereal which again isn't low carb and would probably spike me. It would be nice to find one that doesn't as I would love some.

Thank you for posting x

scottie1

Hi Scottie,
Glad your still around.
Keep the boxing gloves on. I do like it when you hit back. ( re that other post )

The omelette too salty, that would have been the bacon.

I don't eat meat, and I don't like omelettes.

We are going to have a quorn roast, with roasted swede, and roasted celeriac. Plus some cauliflower.
Will it push my bs up, probably.

Hi Milly, and thank you.

I guessed it was the bacon as there was no salt in the omelette. It's amzing how my taste buds have changed, I wouldn't normally be able to taste salt at all.

I don't know which post you mean?

Hope you enjoyed your meal.

scottie1

Bg two hours post food 13.2 :) Still work to do though and I am not going to be slacking!

2 x Weetabix are 26g carb and 134 calories, so I think I may try them and see if they spike me, though they are taking a lot of my daily carb intake but as I am not eating breakfast surely it's better to have some. Might try and find if Bran Flakes are the same, with full fat milk..

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daffodil

That's interesting, I have been eating less than the required 1200 calories and think I may be suffering because of this. Been talking to my husband and he is thinking that I am feeling so ill due to either low-carbing or not eating enough. I've been sobbing my heart out tonight, due to both being so ill and also the frustration I am feeling. My goal whilst it is both to lose weight and keep it off, it is also imperative to get my BG levels to normal readings. I am finding out about 'spikes', my BG went up to 20 from 15 when I ate potatos, the same happened with a fish from the fish shop, even though it was lightly battered (bit like me at the moment). So as time goes on, I can adjust accordingly to what spikes me and what doesn't whilst still LCHF.

I do like fish and now could eat some vegatables I think, so that's a good idea, thank you.

The only thing I could eat for breakfast is cereal which again isn't low carb and would probably spike me. It would be nice to find one that doesn't as I would love some.

Thank you for posting x
Hi Scottie, you take care. Maybe eat more tomorrow and see how you feel.

Do you like plain fish, with no batter or breadcrumbs? I cook it in the oven, wrapped in silver foil, bit of salt, pepper, butter and tastes v nice. Mostly protein and doesn't seem to hit my bs levels.

D

scottie1

Hi Scottie, you take care. Maybe eat more tomorrow and see how you feel.

Do you like plain fish, with no batter or breadcrumbs? I cook it in the oven, wrapped in silver foil, bit of salt, pepper, butter and tastes v nice. Mostly protein and doesn't seem to hit my bs levels.

D

Yes, i do like plain fish, for example Salmon and I think I can do what you are suggesting. It sounds lovely. I could also try it with haddock and tuna. That's really useful, thank you.

scottie1

I have also found out, by way of a lovely gentleman in every sense, that my Gliclozide could have had an effect on my weight, and given that I don't want to put any more on I shall ask to speak/visit a doctor. I have been taking double the amount of this for 4 weeks now, but prior to this I was taking it for a number of years. Whilst I am not saying that is the whole cause, it's certainly worth asking questions. Why would a GP perscibe this to a very overweight person? Surely there are alternative drugs that can be used, without the need to put on weight. I would be interested in anybodys experience with Gliclozide who has had similar problems.

Reactions: 3 people

scottie1

Am also wondering about the effects of a under-active thyroid and therefore the medication needed to control this.

I was diagnosed in November and have been taking meds since then, the GP has increased the dosage one since then. Could this affect the way I feel, could it effect my diabetes, could the medication effect either/both. Would it cause problems with my BG? Could if effect my LCHF?

By the way, i am not asking anyone to answer these questions, just thinking out loud.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Milly, and thank you.

I guessed it was the bacon as there was no salt in the omelette. It's amzing how my taste buds have changed, I wouldn't normally be able to taste salt at all.

I don't know which post you mean?

Hope you enjoyed your meal.

Hi Scottie,
I have had a real pigout day.
My bs at 8.30 am was 8.5
Breakfast porridge made with water and black coffee.
Walk with dog. Bs at 11.30am. 7.3
Lunch 2 poached eggs on 2 small Burgen toast.
Before my quorn dinner bs 5.7
Dinner, quorn roast, roast swede, roast celeriac, boiled cauliflower. 2 small yorkshire puds. Veg gravy.
Raspberries in suger free jelly and single cream. :)
Two hours later bs 10.2 :-( I then took my metformin.
Bedtime, 11.00 pm. Bs 5.8 checked it again, 5.2

I'm not suggesting you eat this. But I can say boy it tasted good, and I think my bedtime bs has never been as low. :)

scottie1

Hi Scottie,
I have had a real pigout day.
My bs at 8.30 am was 8.5
Breakfast porridge made with water and black coffee.
Walk with dog. Bs at 11.30am. 7.3
Lunch 2 poached eggs on 2 small Burgen toast.
Before my quorn dinner bs 5.7
Dinner, quorn roast, roast swede, roast celeriac, boiled cauliflower. 2 small yorkshire puds. Veg gravy.
Raspberries in suger free jelly and single cream. :)
Two hours later bs 10.2 :-( I then took my metformin.
Bedtime, 11.00 pm. Bs 5.8 checked it again, 5.2

I'm not suggesting you eat this. But I can say boy it tasted good, and I think my bedtime bs has never been as low. :)

That's an excellent result Milly, I bet your are pleased with yourself. Well done!.

Poached egg sounds lovely, I shall have to try this Burgen bread, how manycarbs is there in one slice?

i may put some raspberries in some sugar free jelly when I make my next lot.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
That's an excellent result Milly, I bet your are pleased with yourself. Well done!.

Poached egg sounds lovely, I shall have to try this Burgen bread, how manycarbs is there in one slice?

I'm in bed, so will check the bread for you tomorrow, it's the small loaf, poss 9 per slice, not sure will check.

I buy the frozen raspberries, much cheaper than fresh

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Scottie I think that part of your problem is that you are not eating enough. I went on a very low calorie diet years ago and lost the grand total of 5lbs in two months. However I also felt very ill and my doctor told me that I had to start eating properly again because my metabolism had slowed to the extent that my body was literally shutting down - does this sound familiar? Have you also had your thyroid checked? On the food front if you are eating low fat swap them for full fat, eat cheese, eggs, meat etc you can also eat peanut butter if you like it! Burgen bread has 12g carbs and the Hovis seeded sensations (much nicer in my opinion) has 13g but it must be the one with the orange wrapper. y and up the calories if you can and hopefully you will soon be feeling better!

Reactions: 4 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Morning Scottie, the Burgen bread is 9 carbs per slice, this is the small loaf. Yes far too many carbs for some people. I did stop all bread for about 3 weeks, but was getting fedup with salad every lunch time. I don't like omelettes and I don't eat meat.
I just don't know how some people can get down as low as 20 carbs per day. The carb and cal book say black coffee is 1 carb, and I have about 6 cups of black coffee per day.

Hope you have a good day.

Reactions: 4 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning Muggle,
How are you today, have you tried the coconut flour get, whats it like.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning millysue. I bypassed the coconut flour and went straight for the regular pasties and chocolates yesterday. Hope you're ok

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning millysue. I bypassed the coconut flour and went straight for the regular pasties and chocolates yesterday. Hope you're ok

Someone will be along to tell you off.

Yes I'm ok.
Have been out for a walk / stroll with our old dog this morning, its quite mild out, and lovely to see the snowdrops and crocus.
I fell off the wagon the other day with crisps and wine, it was good, and didn't affected my bs. Result. Lol

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was up in the 11s yesterday. Very down today

Bs down I hope.
Today is a new day, turn the page and lets forget about yesterday. Well to be honest I can't forget about yesterday, I piged out big time. But had my lowest bedtime bs yet. I still haven't worked that one out yet.

So what are you doing today.