Just fed up to the back teeth!

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hi guys, Its me again, I hope you'll doing well!

I went for my second diabetic checkup with the nurse and she was reallly happy with everything!.. then I get a phone call regarding my urine test and it states on my notes " Poor managment of diabetes" so I have been asked to make an appointment to discuss meds...I am currently on 1000mg Metformin, plus 40g simvastatin,.. also my last blood test says my Cholesterol is 6.5 and my Tricilygeics ( I dont know how to spell it! lol) is raised and my liver count is raised too.. I am on Bp meds, I also have Pcos, I am low on folate due to my pcos, my hair is now thinning... I want to cry out loud with tears as I feel I aint getting no where. I have lost a stone in weight so far and trying my damned hardest to get fit. I am now 15stone and I am 5foot5inches tall. I feel soo stressed.. I feel like everything is piling up against me. I am 34 yet feel like 84 right now :( People telling me I cant do this and you should do that... I have this.. and I have that! ..... I just need to vent. I feel like my own body is trying to strangle me..and No I do not eat takeaways every day and I cook from scratch all the time I just snack on the wrong things to often... which Ive stopped. Its been 4 months since I had the news of my health and it just seems I am snowballin!! Someone to talk to in same situation as me would be immense right now :( xx

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
I'm so sorry if I am ranting here, I just feel at a loss with myself at the moment and I feel I cannot deal with it all :( I got this phonecall today abut my urine sample and I thought "Oh you know what frig this!" and grabbed the nearest packet of walkers crisps and devoured them.. and then had another! I was like a woman possesed! "I'll show you poor control!!!" .. then I felt terrible afterwards... Meh!

S

Sharon Anne

Hey. Hun x I was diagnosed last may and trust me when you describe how you feel I felt like that last week the guys on here had to pull me back up again .
I also have a bone condition I was born with so a dagnosis of diabetes was the last thing I needed .
I seem to be bringing y level down lovely but it is coming at a price and last week a so called medical proffecional brought me down to earth with a smack.
May I ask do you know what was wrong with your urine sample ???
I mean depending on what it was will give you a good idea of your management if that makes sense I mean if the nurse was happy did she say what your HbcA1 was ???
Hun I too have PCOs or should I say they suspect PCOs never been made official and these past few months I have noticed my hair thinning and I am gutted .
You are not alone Hun xxx

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there @Liverbird1,
You sound pretty down, confused and a bit angry. it maybe feels bad at the moment but you can get it under control and it will improve. It will be come much easier.

Seems you have started losing the weight and have done really well so far.

Have you been following the Low Carb High Fat diet that we all tend to follow on here. I started the diet and have found good weight loss, my cholesterol has come all the way down to near perfect & I have never felt better.

Looking at your figures when diagnosed they really are not too bad, your HbA1c was slightly higher than mine, but your fasting was much lower. You are only just classed as diabetic at an HbA1c of 48. some are in the 70 and 80s when diagnosed you have been caught early so don't miss this opportunity to sort it now

With some good lower carb control and some weight loss, I'm sure you will be able to reduce your BS levels.

Don't panic although Diabetes is serious if left unattended, you are in a really good position, like I was, to make all the difference now.

Hang in there, stay calm, have a look round the forum and ask lots of questions there will always be someone here will be able to give you an answer.

Following the LCHF diet and eating to your meter, should show you the results you are looking for, are you testing?

Neil
I'm off to bed now.

Reactions: 6 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there Liverbird 1,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit down, happens to most of us at some time. Dont think for a moment that people here got it all right the first time. I know I didnt, took be quite some time to realise just how small portion sizes had to be and what foods that I must give up on FOREVER.

At one stage I really believed that "only other people get the good results" and that I shall never improve. In the beginning it was pretty tough, but you just have to do the fight one day at a time. You have to establish new eating habits and this takes about 21 days. I did it with cigarettes and red wine so that I know the bloody hell that you can go through just getting through a day sometimes, but dont worry it gets easier as the days goes by.

Just keep focused on your target , keep busy doing something especially when you get the urge to nibble. By the way one of the first great improvements you will notice in your blood tests will be a your triglycerides. The more carbohydrates you eat the higher the value is, and vise versa.

Anyway now is the perfect time to start over again, read the forums, ask questions and stay determined, and you will be on your way to feeling better and of course healthier. I wish you all the best with your efforts.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
G

graj0

Hi guys, Its me again, I hope you'll doing well!

I went for my second diabetic checkup with the nurse and she was reallly happy with everything!.. then I get a phone call regarding my urine test and it states on my notes " Poor managment of diabetes" so I have been asked to make an appointment to discuss meds...I am currently on 1000mg Metformin, plus 40g simvastatin,.. also my last blood test says my Cholesterol is 6.5 and my Tricilygeics ( I dont know how to spell it! lol) is raised and my liver count is raised too.. I am on Bp meds, I also have Pcos, I am low on folate due to my pcos, my hair is now thinning... I want to cry out loud with tears as I feel I aint getting no where. I have lost a stone in weight so far and trying my damned hardest to get fit. I am now 15stone and I am 5foot5inches tall. I feel soo stressed.. I feel like everything is piling up against me. I am 34 yet feel like 84 right now :( People telling me I cant do this and you should do that... I have this.. and I have that! ..... I just need to vent. I feel like my own body is trying to strangle me..and No I do not eat takeaways every day and I cook from scratch all the time I just snack on the wrong things to often... which Ive stopped. Its been 4 months since I had the news of my health and it just seems I am snowballin!! Someone to talk to in same situation as me would be immense right now :( xx

I wonder why the nurse was happy and your notes are not, perhaps you should ask the GP "What exactly is poor control when the nurse is so happy". They would probably say that your cholesterol is high, but that's not poor diabetic control.

As a long term dieter, and not a yoyo dieter, just someone who has been slowing plodding along chipping away at the kgs, gram by gram, I have had to employ several tactics to avoid disasters. You mention the crisps, my snack of preference use to be those Warburton square breads with cheese slices and ham slices all conveniently made to fit the stupid bread, easy peazy. The secret is "DON'T BUY IT" Then you can't eat it, it's not proper food anyway, ditch the crisps, please. As has been suggested, lower your carb intake and personally I would suggest don't worry too much about increasing the fat, just worry about lowering the carb content. Try a day without bread/past/rice/potato, you'll be surprised how easy it is and it costs nothing although I eat loads more vegetables.

Don't let it all get you down, there's a lot of success stories on this forum, lowering my carbs helped me lose 4 1/2 stone eventually (still work in progress), I ditched Gliclazide and Januvia, which may not be the end of the world if you must take, but you're better off not taking. I also ditched the statin because my total cholesterol dropped from 5.5 to 3.5. So, for me it's a no brainer, low carb, not too many meds, just Metformin and I'm working at that.

One other thing, I thought GPs looked at your HbA1c rather than a urine test. Sugar in the urine is an indicator but sugar in the blood is what does the damage.

Try changing diet before they load you up with more drugs. BTW, Gliclazide will help you gain more weight, I gained a stone. It will vary from person to person.

All the best

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Liverbird welcome to the forum. Have you got your own glucose meter? This will help boost your confidence as you have visibility of how well you're doing and what foods you can/cannot eat. We are all different and carbs that some of us can tolerate others can't. I found that by eating LCHF my BS, cholesterol and weight have all come down. I also found that statins, which i stopped taking due to side effects, raised my BS to the extent that I was prescribed Sitagliptin which I have now stopped taking due to good BS. Keep going and you'll get there in the end and the occasional rant is good for you!!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well I said it from the start STATINS caused me to have diabetes ..I was fine before i started taking them and in the paper today it states there is a 46% that once on statins you will get diabetes... so what I wonder can be done to try and reverse this

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
well I said it from the start STATINS caused me to have diabetes ..I was fine before i started taking them and in the paper today it states there is a 46% that once on statins you will get diabetes... so what I wonder can be done to try and reverse this

Why were you prescribed statins and did that coincide with your diagnosis?

G

graj0

Proving that it's directly because of statins is the difficult bit. I'm not saying it isn't, but is it perhaps the high cholesterol that the statin is prescribed for that is the problem, or maybe the reason for higher cholesterol. For some people, eating too many carbohydrates can lower HDL (good cholesterol) and raise triglycerides. Drinking alcohol can also raise triglycerides (Source - Center for Disease Control, US Gov.), and more carbs means higher BG, so maybe there's the connection.

In my case lowering my carb intake to about 80gms per day, with occasional cheat days (I'm human believe it or not) helped me reduce my cholesterol while on statins from 5.5 to 3.5. I no longer take statins mainly because of the muscle pain, poor sleep and brain fog but lower cholesterol helped me make the final decision. My total cholesterol is now 5.4, not in the range that the powers that be would like, but hopefully when their prediction of my arteries clogging up happens (recent Heart echo cardiogram says otherwise, the bit they looked at anyway), then the end will be quick, I don't want to be a burden.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ask your GP/Nurse for a proper explanation. Sometimes they give you the results and move on to what happens next without explaining exactly what everything means. And by 'what happens next' I mean what they need to do - what medication to prescribe, not what YOU need to do. They forget that even if you have done some research, and listened to guidance on here - you didn't spend years training in the medical field., You only know your own body - and like many of us when diagnosed finds out we didn't know that much - and now we have to learn.

It is called a 'consultation' for a reason - nowhere does it say you go to your GP for a lecture or to be dictated to. Your body, your terms! By that I don't mean ignore whatever they tell you, but ask for more explanation, ask for alternatives, ask what you can do to try and change things. Be honest with them about what you are doing, and about when you go off the rails - snacking etc. But try not to feel guilty, all that happens is you get into a vicious cycle. Diabetes is more than what it does to your body - it's how it messes with your head, and it's about time GP's realised that.

Why not ask for a 'double appointment' so that things can be explained properly, ask them to 'stop' and explain if there is anything you don't understand. If you don't feel confident then you can take someone with you, who can help you speak up. Good luck xx

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Liverbird1, you mention that your liver enzymes are high, statins can definitely do that to you. It happened to me and the doc thought it was alcohol causing it so I quit alcohol for two weeks and tested, no difference, then quit statins for two weeks and the enzyme count came down. Diabetes is a very complex condition and affects you in a myriad ways, you have to get tough with it and try not to let it beat you mentally.Try thinking of your diabetes as a person who is trying to make you miserable and when you have small triumphs ,which you will, you can enjoy sticking two fingers up to it! Chin up, follow the excellent advice found on this forum and you WILL get there in the end.

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hey all, I must say I want to thank each and everyone of you for your lovely advice and kind words. Its a HUGE help for me and makes me feel tons better that I am not alone. Today I have decided to start from scratch. Yesterday was a very confusing day for me, one min I felt positive and the next thing I get that phonecall... which made me spiral .. I didnt stop at the crisps either and ended up ordering a pizza too... when I get out of control.. I get out of control :( But today Is a new day and I am at this moment awaiting a phonecall from my doctor to explain to me what the hell is going on when my diabetic nurse was sooo happy with me then to be told I have poor managment?? Maybe its something to do with my kidneys.. I dont know :( My liver enzymes are raised as I WAS a heavy drinker.. well a binge drinker at the weekends.. but I have since stopped that so I should see those numbers come down.eventually, well thats if the statinsdont start taking over the damage. I am not sure about my HBA1c test as I have yet to have this, I think I am due for this test in a months time. The Pcos I have means for the past 4 months I have been loosing blood constantly which is the reason why my folate is very low which in turn makes me tired and kinda cranky and because of all whats going on with me I cant sleep! It is defo a vicious circle but one that I need to crack soon before I completely loose it >< I am following a low carb high fat diet at present yes. But yesterday was one of those days where I thought frig this game! Anyways thank you all soooo so much! You have made me feel much better! I will be asking some questions today and hopefully get more understanding xxxx :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello liverbird1, welcome to the best forum on the web,you are not alone here,and will get answers to your q's that will help you control and recover ,keep posting and all the very best on your journey.::))

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hi all, Just an update.

I have spoken to my GP, and she is saying that my urine was tested for kidney function and I have increased protein only a slight increase, she says it is nothing to worry about and that I am on the right path of getting healthy. I spoke to her for a good 10 mins and she has made me feel tons better. Ive had a good day today! And I am feeling refreshed and more positive. My BG measurements have been consistently good 2 hours after each meal which sits around 5.5. I had eggs, half a slice of wholemeal toast with so tofu burgers for breakfast. Homemade veggie, chicken and chilli soup for lunch and tonight I am having Shepards pie made with carrot and swede mash and more side veggies. I have my snacks at the ready! :) Positive, positive!! :D :rolleyes:

Reactions: 10 people
S

Sharon Anne

Hey Hun may I ask if she explained why the Dr said you had bad diabetes control ?
Our story is very similar I too have suspected pCos and I am bleeding even with the coil fitted!!! Also my last urine test showed protein and I was told it was nothing . I have now very good control I have at last test my HbcA1 was 32 so it's in the non diabeteic range x

S

Sharon Anne

I think for me I am very upset about how thin my hair is getting because it was my pride and joy x

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hey Hun may I ask if she explained why the Dr said you had bad diabetes control ?
Our story is very similar I too have suspected pCos and I am bleeding even with the coil fitted!!! Also my last urine test showed protein and I was told it was nothing . I have now very good control I have at last test my HbcA1 was 32 so it's in the non diabeteic range x

Hi Sharon, I know exactly how you feel about hair thinning :( My hair is completely transparent now and I used to have such long hair! Now I can only get away with short boy cuts :( It makes me want to cry each day I see myself in the mirror :'( its horrendous!

I asked her about "poor control" on my notes and the senior doctor at my surgery put that on there as he sees it as "Kidneys showing signs of problems possible diabetes is the cause and possible poor control" My other doctor says it is not due to poor control more like a symptom and as I am getting to grips with my diabetes she told me there is nothing to worry about and to keep on with my treatment and diet plan and all should fit into place in time,

And again, Sharon I know how you feel and if you ever want a natter about anything, please message me! I have had pcos for 8 years now and it can be a very frustrating problem :( I was offerered the coil but as a friend of mine had problems with heavy bleeding with it, that has put me off as I feel I cannot afford to bleed more heavily as I might just turn into a prune!! xx

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Have you been following the Low Carb High Fat diet that we all tend to follow on here. .

Do we?

I dont and never would and I doubt that the majority of members here do either just because a few the more vocal few members that presently post regularly do doesnt mean that "most of us do".

It may be correct to say that most members here follow some sort of reduced carb diet but to say that "we all follow a lchf diet is ridiculous, perhaps it would be wiser to speak for yourself and not assume what diet I and other members here eat.

120000 members and what a few hundred follow the lchf diet.