chips

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nothing, I just don't bother!

Some use substitutes, have a look at the low carb recipes in the low carb forum.

I eat a lot of salad and fresh veg with my protein.

Once you have got over the carb cravings and find that you don't need the high starchy carbs and you feel better, you will realise that you were just eating chips for eating sake.

You were probably cooking them in polyunsaturated fats, if you cook in oils use only natural animal fats or coconut oils.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
can't think of anything really for chips, they are off the menu for me, but a good substitute for potatoes is cauliflower, i made a nice cornbeef hash with it in all low carb. i used this recipe online http://www.thebettercrumb.com/recipes/breakfast/low-carb-corned-beef-hash/

if you grate cauliflower it makes a lovely rice like accompaniment too. white rice being hc.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have chips - but only 6 fried ones or maybe three or 4 skin on wedges baked in oven. And then I peddle till my BS is happy again.

K

Kat100

I have a few chips now and again ..a nice potato with skin on , , cut up as chips in olive oil ...
All baked in the oven ...carrot chips yes ...I also have those , always have , sometimes put a few cumin seeds in the oil when cooking ...

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sweet potato wedges cooked in the oven in x virgen olive oil
Sea salt and ground black pepper and smoked paprika.
Lush!

Reactions: 2 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Sweet potato wedges cooked in the oven in x virgen olive oil
Sea salt and ground black pepper and smoked paprika.
Lush!
Sweet potato has more carb in per 100g than regular potatoes.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Celeriac root , roasted.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Surely you would be ok if you had less than 100g?
I'm assuming OP wanted an alternative to chips to reduce carb intake. i maybe wrong, if so then sweet potato is of course a perfect alternative.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have proper home made deep fried chips sometimes, and if I stick to 6 or 7 my BS is fine, negligible rise, but I can cope with a couple of small spuds anyway so I suppose chips are better due to the fat element.

Reactions: 2 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I just eat fewer chips.

Test meals regularly before and 2 hours afterwards adjusting the portion size down each time and you will soon find what amount you can safely eat.

I have done this with everything so nothing is off the menu for me I just eat carbs in smaller portions, this has two benefits firstly I never crave carbs as I still eat them and secondly I have not made myself more insulin resistant by avoiding carbs.

Once I lost weight, 5 stones in total and a lot of my insulin resistance I was able to eat larger and larger portions of carbs.

Reactions: 4 people