Has anyone tried Vida or MyFitnessPal?

torimartin

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello,

Has anyone on here used a health coaching service like Vida or tracker like MyFitnessPal to get in shape?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Myfitnesspal is widely used and well liked I understand. I am not familiar with Vida.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used My Fitness Pal, mostly just to track meals and look up nutritional values.

I have found it to be good but much more tedious then just using a notebook and writing it all out. I do use it still (I switched to just using my own notebook) to look up I for though. It's great for that.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

Has anyone on here used a health coaching service like Vida or tracker like MyFitnessPal to get in shape?
Hi, I use my fitness pal to log foods throughout the day. I've found it really useful to keep a count on my carb, protein and fat intake. I find it fairly easy to use too.

Reactions: TifferG

lynnew1951

I use My Fitness Pal. For me it's the best way to monitor what I eat. You can even make your own meals using this app eg make a sandwich and look up the bread, spread, meat etc to have a total calories etc for what you have made. Have lost a stone and a half in a year gradually.

rohan321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just tried a free week with vida. No results yet, but have a good plan from coach Pam.

jamsonleo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I just got an email from Vida that they're running a holiday promotion. I signed up for 3 months: vida.com/holidaygift. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

lexzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

Yes, I’ve been using Vida, there just launched recently but offer excellent health coaching services that have amazingly made me to lose a bunch of weight (about 15 pounds in 6 weeks). They set me up with a health coach to figure out my health goals, diet plans, and easy exercise routines. I tried it because the first week was free but I pay $15/wk now and it’s worth it!

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use MFP. I have found it quite easy to pick up and once you have built your own library of food, is quite easy to maintain.

I like the ability to amend the macros based on carbs/fats/protein targets but I don't build in the exercise guide as I monitor calorie burn through a Polar heart rate monitor.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MyFitnessPal = lunatic CICO preachers. Very hostile to anything else. Steroid pumping freaks.
sorry for the rant. i still go there but stopped posting except on the keto board.

Reactions: Paulwgun

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't bother with their forums tbh. I just use the app. But I can imagine there's be a lot of surplus testosterone flowing around on their boards.

Reactions: 2 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't bother with their forums tbh. I just use the app. But I can imagine there's be a lot of surplus testosterone flowing around on their boards.

absolutely. what gets me is the lack of any objectivity when it comes to other forms of "diet" apart from CICO. Horses for Courses i say.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I just started using Chron-o-meter last week. The food values are from USA based data sources-which suits me because I am in the USA. They have a free version and upgraded versions for professionals and one called the Gold Edition which is just $99 for life and gives more analysis capability although the free version is adequate. It calculates BMR, calories burned and vitamin, mineral and macro nutrient values for you for both day and week. I really like it. I was going to check out my fitness pal but that really is not my focus-carb and calorie counting are.
(The last thing I need is another person scrutinizing every detail of my day for me.)

TifferG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mfp is superb, especially so when teamed up with a fitness tracking app e.g. myrunkeeper (iirc)...all data collated onto mfp
I used MFP in conjunction with a Fitbit Charge HR, principally using the calorie values from each to reduce my weight. I managed to lose around 2kg over 4-6 weeks without adversely affecting my bg levels. That the Fitbit and MFP connected seamlessly on my smartphone helps.

Most recently, I found the Samsung app: S Health is a very useful free tool for seeing a record of bg readings, it will display data by day, week or month, with high, low and average points shown on a graph. It will also monitor many other items such as exercise, food diary, walking, etc.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use MFP and it's very useful, though not always accurate. What really annoys me is when I fast, it tells me I'm not eating enough in big red letters. Well, of course I'm not eating enough to maintain my very ample bod. That's why I'm there, to reduce it!

And don't even get me started on the tiny amount of fat it thinks is appropriate.

Tannedhaggis

I use MFP on both my phone and iPad, and have my flex band and aria scales linked with it. I really like the bar code scanner, so if I can't read the ultra small writing on the food labels while shopping, I can just scan the bar code using my phone and see the nutritional details. Having my scales linked gives me a little bit of extra motivation, when it shows a downward trend. I can also see my progress ( or lack of it) over the last 2 years, which was when I started using them.

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use "my fitness pal" to count my carbs, it's brilliant, I've found most things pretty accurate, but just remember it's a bit like Wikipedia in the fact that anyone can put things up there... but so far so good for me :)

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I love MFP app it counts everything for me, alerts me if I nearing my total level and much more.
I dont really use the blogs etc as I find these forums more geared towards diabetes which is what I need the most help with.