Newbi - Hello all

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It all started the day I went to the Doctors because of blurred vision. 15 mins later and with the Practice Nurse I got the news - Type 2

I'm on Metformin 500mg, initially 2/day, now 3 per day

I was in hospital 3 months previously and not a sign of anything diabetes-wise so its all come as a shock to me at 46 yr old

After 2 weeks on Metformin (2/day) my readings were:

Water sample 5, no ketones, not excreting proteins

BP 130/87 & 127/85

Weight 111kg - against a height of 6'4"

Feet all good - excellent circulation

Cholesterol 5.4 total, consisting triglycerides 3.4, HDL 1.1, LDL 2.8, Ratio 4.9

Iron levels OK

Pin prick on my finger showed 8.1

Can't remember what my Hbc1 (or whatever its called) was, but there's a blood level where the target is 56 but mine was 140

Sincere apologies if this sounds vague - I'm sure I'll get to grips with it all

Metformin raised to 3.day

Cut out all the mega sugary stuff and learning to get an appetite for Weetabix .......... initially I throught I was eating pulped cardboard but anything is better than shredded wheat (yuk)

Eating lots of greens (brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms) and have cut down on onions & yellow/green peppers. Eat a lot of blueberry's and some blackberries, also walnuts. Generally fish main meal 3 times a week, red meat once a week, brown pasta, black rice meals on the rest.

Exercise of choice is walking. Try to do a minimum of 2 miles a day, not always possible as a shift worker - but on rest days this can go anything from 7.5 to 11 miles or more with my best 4-legged buddy :)

Trying to stay positive but it aint easy. It is what it is, it just needs dealing with and I'm trying to think of it as "it lives with me rather than me living with it"

So thats me saying 'Hello' -- somewhat unsure, a little frightened, rather confused but ready to learn, modify and make the best of it

Reactions: 2 people

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Moonchip, I was diagnosed 1 month ago aged 40, don't be afraid buddy, you have come to the right place. One thing the last month has taught me is to go slow, ask questions, there are so many helpful people here and most will advise a low carb high fat diet. I started it more or less straight away and honestly inside of a month I'm feeling great already, chin up fella you'll feel better soon.

Daks

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome monchip

Take a deep breath,

The important thing Is you've found this forum.

I'm tagging @daisy1 to give you new members information.

Have a read around, learn about what others have to eat.

Keep asking questions, all of us have been where you are now.

Keep posting, join in.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @moonchip welcome :), don't panic we can help you with this. Have a good read around and ask what you want.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome from me. Panic not, this forum is a great place for advice and support.

The good news ....... Try not to get a taste for Weetabix. It won't do your blood sugars any good at all. Seriously.
The bad news ......... neither will pasta or rice. :(

Read round the forum and try to pick up on what carbohydrates do, then come back with any questions.

Good luck.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @moonchip, I t can be very daunting at first, I don't think @Daks could have explained it better.

Seems you already have a handle on the number the HbA1c is an important number as it is you average Blood Sugar over the last 2/3 months. When you testing before or 2 hrs after meals you are just seeing that 'moment in time' where the HbA1c is a full average.

You should be able to get a print out of all your numbers you are entitled to them, just ask at your doctors reception.

Look round the forum everyone will help & ask as many questions as you wish.

Neil

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@moonchip

Hello Moonchip and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may find that as your reduce your weight so that BMI is nearer 25 than 30, your need for medication may reduce. How active are you in your job? While walking outside work hours may be difficult, could you cycle to / from work? Obviously, not if you live over 10 miles away or if you need to drive your own car during work hours, but I don't know your details.

K

Kat100

Hello , welcome , lots of support here , nice to meet you ..kat

Good starting point the information posted by Daisy ...

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had a week off this week so I've been doing a lot of reading ..... and reading ..... and reading :)

The advice from many on here about Low Cal diet has been excellent and very well received - thank you all so much

A few days ago I wrote to Prof Taylor at Newcastle University and received a lovely reply back including pdf documents to show my Doctor verifying the success of newly diagnosed T2 diabetics and asking him for his support for me to try this diet. My BMI is 30.5 (not good) at 6'3" and 111kg so to get to a healthy BMI I need to get down to something approaching 84 kg

Hopefully my Doctor will support my endeavour to try the diet - the documents I've printed off are very compelling and from a UK medical professor supported by NHS hospitals & Diabetes UK ---- not a "snake oil" or "miracle" cure as seen on a lot of US websites.

I see no reason not to try it, however difficult it may be for the 8 weeks or so. Hell, to be perfectly honest, if I thought it would cure me I'd bend over and get rodgered by a rhino if I thought it would help !! :woot::woot:

Reactions: 11 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Make yourself at home and please stick around - the advice and support available on this forum has made more difference to my health than I could have imagined!

Hi this is Dorothy signing in for the first time. I am on metformi now 2 times daily. Do not understand any of the diabetes jargon or what I am supposed to eat etc. please help.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi this is Dorothy signing in for the first time. I am on metformi now 2 times daily. Do not understand any of the diabetes jargon or what I am supposed to eat etc. please help.

Hello Dorothy

You're about 3 weeks behind me and yes, it is bewildering at first

What I can say though is you've come to the right place and others on here (with far more experience and knowledge than I ) will help you all they can

Join in, ask questions and anything you need answered will surely be resolved for you

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had a week off this week so I've been doing a lot of reading ..... and reading ..... and reading :)

The advice from many on here about Low Cal diet has been excellent and very well received - thank you all so much

A few days ago I wrote to Prof Taylor at Newcastle University and received a lovely reply back including pdf documents to show my Doctor verifying the success of newly diagnosed T2 diabetics and asking him for his support for me to try this diet. My BMI is 30.5 (not good) at 6'3" and 111kg so to get to a healthy BMI I need to get down to something approaching 84 kg

Hopefully my Doctor will support my endeavour to try the diet - the documents I've printed off are very compelling and from a UK medical professor supported by NHS hospitals & Diabetes UK ---- not a "snake oil" or "miracle" cure as seen on a lot of US websites.

I see no reason not to try it, however difficult it may be for the 8 weeks or so. Hell, to be perfectly honest, if I thought it would cure me I'd bend over and get rodgered by a rhino if I thought it would help !! :woot::woot:

I was diagnosed a month ago and joined here 4 days ago. and believe me they are brilliant on here and if
you decide to go on the low carb/ high fat diet you will start feeling better more or less straight away.
I know i did. :)

Reactions: 5 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about the jargon Dorothy, people here is lovely and friendly and will help you find your answers.

Ask whatever you need to know.

People can help you if you can write details about how do you eat and how are your blood sugar levels at the moment

:)