A warning about Quorn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Totally agree with you Pipp, I assumed it was from mushrooms, a derivative of a vegetable and not synthetic)? as it is promoted as being healthy meal., low fat. If people are happy with it and want to continue eating it or want to give it a try, it's their choice and that's absolutely fine. But to say I was shocked by what I read and (felt extremely) ill, is an understatement.:wideyed: We live and learn don't we, ( teenager says she is not going to touch it again, maybe because she heard what was going on during the night :oops: )

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree with you Pipp, I assumed it was from mushrooms, a derivative of a vegetable and not synthetic)? as it is promoted as being healthy meal., low fat. If people are happy with it and want to continue eating it or want to give it a try, it's their choice and that's absolutely fine. But to say I was shocked by what I read and (felt extremely) ill, is an understatement.:wideyed: We live and learn don't we, ( teenager says she is not going to touch it again, maybe because she heard what was going on during the night :oops: )

Best wishes RRB

I am a veggie, and that is my choice.
I am equally appalled and shocked with what goes on in the meat trade.
It's just as well that we are all different, lifes rich tapestry.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yes, you are right. Maybe need to start a thread about that?

One thing we must all remember is that it won't help if we allow this thread to become a divisive quarrel about which food / diet is good and which is bad. That will only end in tears.

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Anna and Pip,

Thank you for your replies.

Yes I have been put off by this thread. I stumbled upon it through a Facebook link, so probably wasn't the best one to start with.

My concern is not about Quorn, eat it or don't eat it, it's an individual decision.

My concern is about the claims being made. I have a newly diagnosed teenager, we experienced a traumatic DKA/ HDU diagnosis 4 weeks ago, and sifting through information is a minefield. Whilst I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion, and the poster is totally entitled to report that they believe quorn made them sick, providing a flimsy quasi scientific "theory" to support it being "dangerous" concerns me greatly. This is tough and confusing enough as it is. I just think people need to consider carefully what they post, as other people may believe it whole heartedly. I only wanted to question and add some balance, resulting in the posts which followed.

I have a severe food dependent anaphylaxsis which has resulted in me being admitted to ICU twice, however I wouldn't issue a blanket warning to people about the dangers of those foods , as that reaction is my reaction. I could report that certain foods caused this (and an allergy consultant has confirmed this to be the case), but I then wouldn't add a weak evidence base to warn other people off it. Following the diet is hard enough as it is without restricting if further.

I think I just need some time to process what has happened to our family . We are looking at joining a local support group, things get lost in translation in cyberspace, so maybe face to face is better for us at the moment.

Kind regards,

A

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Anna and Pip,

Yes I have been put off by this thread. I stumbled upon it through a Facebook link, so probably wasn't the best one to start with.

My concern is not about Quorn, eat it or don't eat it, it's an individual decision.

My concern is about the claims being made. I have a newly diagnosed teenager, we experienced a traumatic DKA/ HDU diagnosis 4 weeks ago, and sifting through information is a minefield. Whilst I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion, and the poster is totally entitled to report that they believe quorn made them sick, providing a flimsy quasi scientific "theory" to support it being "dangerous" concerns me greatly. This is tough and confusing enough as it is. I just think people need to consider carefully what they post, as other people may believe it whole heartedly. I only wanted to question and add some balance, resulting in the posts which followed.

I have a severe food dependent anaphylaxsis which has resulted in me being admitted to ICU twice, however I wouldn't issue a blanket warning to people about the dangers of those foods , as that reaction is my reaction. I could report that certain foods caused this (and an allergy consultant has confirmed this to be the case), but I then wouldn't add a weak evidence base to warn other people off it. Following the diet is hard enough as it is without restricting if further.

I think I just need some time to process what has happened to our family . We are looking at joining a local support group, things get lost in translation in cyberspace, so maybe face to face is better for us at the moment.

Kind regards,

A

I totally agree with you.
I wish you all the best, good luck.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Anna and Pip,

Kind regards,

A
I fully understand your concerns. (The nicest people have allergies) ;) So that would include you @Justanordinarymum , as well as myself, and @Robinredbreast among many.

There is sometimes misunderstanding in posts, and I am sure nobody would wish you to feel alienated. You have enough to contend with having a teenager, newly diagnosed. I hope you can get the sort of support you need locally, but remember there is lots of useful info and generally friendly advice and support here too. Also, your experience will be helpful to others. So don't give up on us altogether, just because of your unfortunate first encounters.
Best wishes.
Pipp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yes of course millysue I do understand ( I was vegetarian for 2 1/2 years in the 1990's), but the thread was started because of the extreme reaction I had, as I have never a reaction like that to meat.
Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Anna and Pip,

Kind regards,

A

Hello again,
The 'claims' made by me regarding the extreme reaction I had is true and based on MY reaction to this food, Quorn roast. I did ask if this has happened to anyone else, also having the 'couldn't breathe properly' reaction' as well, was a worry and I mentioned that too. If people do not like the post or disagree with it then that's their choice, and I stand by the original post as it is still a warning to others to be careful with certain foods they have not tried before.

My original post is below,
Feeling horrible this morning. Last night after 10pm I started to feel very unwell, I vomited twice and also about 2.45am. My throat is very sore and my nose, now and during the night, felt closed up, I can breathe but it's more difficult.
I had a vegetarian meal with my teenager and used Quorn roast for the first time, it tasted delicious and I checked for Wheat, gluten etc before I ate it. It must of been this that made me so ill, as I am feeling like death right now. BS was 5.5 before bed and woke up to 8.5 and a headache too.
I looked online regarding the Quorn and the 'microprotein' which it is made from is made from 'mould' and can be 'toxic.
I am supposed to be caring for my dad today, hoping I will feel better soon.
Does anyone know of this and has it happened to you or someone you know.

Take care guys x

I still believe, as I said before, that I am 99 % sure, this product made me extremely ill, as I was the one suffering from this reaction.
Maybe, possibly, it could of been the potatoes, or the veg, or the gravy, or the jelly afterwards that made me have such a violent reaction, but then again I have eaten these foods for years.

quote ' Whilst I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion, and the poster is totally entitled to report that they believe quorn made them sick, providing a flimsy quasi scientific "theory" to support it being "dangerous" concerns me greatly. unquote'

There was nothing flimsy at all about any of it.

Regards RRB

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again,

I am not disputing that you believe you had a reaction to quorn. You believe that's what happened and have every right to express that belief.

What I am concerned about is the attempt to back this up, with a " danger" warning in your title, with a googled explanation from a very poor source that other people may take as factual. The quorn product label gives an allergy warning, as you have pointed out, so why is this different to other foods? Should we all avoid strawberries, shellfish, peanuts, almonds, kiwi fruit, as these are foods that cause more problems than quorn?

Hopefully that is clear enough?

Regards

A

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But for the record, I think we are missing a few important points here.

@Robinredbreast , had an allergic reaction to Quorn, and reported her findings with best intentions to avoid it happening to anyone else.

@Justanordinarymum saw the post on facebook, (which has been documented elsewhere, that many members do not like) and it looks as though @Justanordinarymum has taken the post out of context.

Some valid comments have been made by both, but (perhaps I am overanalysing here) I am seeing a new member in some distress, who is looking for support because she has a newly diagnosed teen.

@Justanordinarymum, despite what you said in an earlier post it looks as though you want to remain a member. I say 'welcome'. How about turning away from this topic, and posting in the greetings and introductions section? Ask some specific questions and you will find there will be plenty of support.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello again,

I am not disputing that you believe you had a reaction to quorn. You believe that's what happened and have every right to express that belief.

What I am concerned about is the attempt to back this up, with a " danger" warning in your title, with a googled explanation from a very poor source that other people may take as factual. The quorn product label gives an allergy warning, as you have pointed out, so why is this different to other foods? Should we all avoid strawberries, shellfish, peanuts, almonds, kiwi fruit, as these are foods that cause more problems than quorn?

Hopefully that is clear enough?

Regards

A

The word 'danger' was not in the title, The above foods in your post are not, synthetically made ( unless there has been a dramatic change I am unaware of).
As so may have seen and posted on the subject, this thread is about the Quorn roast I consumed No other foods are involved. That has been made perfectly clear.

A great idea would be to start a thread on the subject you have mentioned, of whatever you may wish to talk about, ( as mentioned by Pipp), it's a great starting point to say hello to others. or expressing views on a particular subject :)

I would hope this post doesn't end up being a derailed.

Regards RRB:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But for the record, I think we are missing a few important points here.

@Robinredbreast , had an allergic reaction to Quorn, and reported her findings with best intentions to avoid it happening to anyone else.

@Justanordinarymum saw the post on facebook, (which has been documented elsewhere, that many members do not like) and it looks as though @Justanordinarymum has taken the post out of context.

Some valid comments have been made by both, but (perhaps I am overanalysing here) I am seeing a new member in some distress, who is looking for support because she has a newly diagnosed teen.

@Justanordinarymum, despite what you said in an earlier post it looks as though you want to remain a member. I say 'welcome'. How about turning away from this topic, and posting in the greetings and introductions section? Ask some specific questions and you will find there will be plenty of support.

The best introduction is to say hello :) ps I had no idea this was on facebook :eek: not so pleased about that Pipp :wideyed:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have extreme reactions to queen but as soon as its out of my system I'm fine. I've eaten it three times and each time I've had severe vomiting and diahorrea along with a fever. All three times I have recovered by the next day.

I looked into it too and apparently it's a very common problem.

Hi, @Jane the pain ( great name btw) have you eaten it since, just wondering if you thought the vomiting was due to the Quorn you ate or something else you had eaten with it ? I didn't know it was a 'common affect' it said 'rare' on the box :wideyed:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eww glad I saw this! I'm not a vegi but sometimes buy a bag of quorn (diced chicken type) defo won't be buying it again! :/ x

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Feeling horrible this morning. Last night after 10pm I started to feel very unwell, I vomited twice and also about 2.45am. My throat is very sore and my nose, now and during the night, felt closed up, I can breathe but it's more difficult.
I had a vegetarian meal with my teenager and used Quorn roast for the first time, it tasted delicious and I checked for Wheat, gluten etc before I ate it. It must of been this that made me so ill, as I am feeling like death right now. BS was 5.5 before bed and woke up to 8.5 and a headache too.
I looked online regarding the Quorn and the 'microprotein' which it is made from is made from 'mould' and can be toxic.
I am supposed to be caring for my dad today, hoping I will feel better soon.
Does anyone know of this and has it happened to you or someone you know.

Take care guys x

Fake Fungal "Chik'n" Causes Anaphylaxis, Severe Vomiting, Hives

December 1, 2011

The vat-grown mold used to make the Quorn line of meat substitutes causes gastrointestinal distress and in some cases, life-threatening anaphylactic reactions, according to the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest. The nutrition and food safety watchdog group has again urged the Food and Drug Administration to revoke its “Generally Recognized as Safe,” or GRAS, designation for the controversial fermented fungus. If the agency does intend to allow Quorn’s “mycoprotein” to remain on store shelves, it should at least require a prominent warning label, the group says.

Quorn is a meat substitute that typically takes the shape of artificial chicken patties or nuggets, imitation ground beef, cylindrical “roasts,” as well as other meatless incarnations, such as “Cranberry & Goat Cheese Chik’n Cutlets.” The principal ingredient is a microscopic fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which the company feeds with oxygenated water, glucose, and other nutrients in giant fermentation tanks. Once harvested from the tanks, the material is heat-treated in order to remove its excess RNA, and then dewatered in a centrifuge. Combined with egg albumen and other ingredients, it is then “texturized” into various meat-like shapes.

CSPI first urged the Food and Drug Administration to take Quorn off the market in 2002, and has been collecting adverse reaction reports from consumers ever since at QuornComplaints.com. CSPI has collected about 500 such reports from Americans and 1,200 more from European and Australian consumers. The vast majority of those reactions involved vomiting and diarrhea; others reported fainting or blood appearing in stool, vomit, or eyes. A smaller percentage of complaints involved hives or potentially fatal anaphylactic reactions. About 17 percent of complainants required medical treatment, sometimes hospitalization. According to a telephone survey of consumers in the United Kingdom (where the product is marketed more widely than in the United States), nearly 5 percent of consumers reported being sensitive to Quorn.

CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson relayed 10 consumers’ complaints in a recent letter to FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods Michael Taylor.

One 20-year-old man from Waco, TX, told CSPI that two hours after eating Quorn Chik’n Nuggets, he began to feel nauseous, and, too far from a bathroom, tried to open a window in order to vomit. He blacked out and hit his head on a trash can. And, according to a report filed by her daughter, a 75-year-old woman from Towson, MD, vomited and passed out in the theater during a production of Les Miserables four hours after eating half of a Quorn Chik’n patty. She spent the night in the emergency room and required anti-nausea medicine to stop her vomiting.

"We believe, and we suspect that any reasonable person would believe, that any novel food ingredient that causes hives, anaphylactic reactions, or vomiting so violent that blood vessels burst, cannot, indeed must not, be considered by the FDA to be ‘generally recognized as safe,’" Jacobson wrote.

CSPI urged that Quorn products be removed from the marketplace. If the FDA declines to do that, CSPI suggested that the following notice be required on the fronts of Quorn packages: “Warning: This product might cause severe diarrhea or vomiting, or a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction; an allergy might develop only after consuming the product several times.” The group’s letter acknowledges that it is skeptical the FDA would require such a notice.

“There are plenty of nutritious, safe, and environmentally-friendly meat substitutes, made with soybeans, mushrooms, legumes, rice, and other real food ingredients,” said Jacobson. “It’s crazy to knowingly allow a potent new allergen into the food supply yet that’s exactly what the FDA has done.”

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
The ingredients in the quorn roast, Ingredients ( light green lettering)(Mycoprotein (59%) Rehydrated Free range EGG, White onion, Natural flavourings, Rapeseed oil, Milk proteins, firming agents,Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate.

Allergy advice ( also light green lettering) does mention Milk, Egg and ' There have been rare cases of allergic reactions to Quorn, which contains Mycoprotein a member of the fundi/mould family.
'Mycoprotein is high in protein and fibre. This may cause an intolerance to some people :eek:' The last sentence seems bizarre to me and very misleading. What about the 59% of Mycoprotein it's made from??.:wideyed: :confused:

Think I've got another Bee buzzing about :mad:

RRB
Oh no I am so sorry to hear about this, I went veggie yesterday and had really looked forward to ordering quorn burers etc,...so glad i checked in, hope you're alright now nad your dad too...take care...x

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Let this be a warning not to trust manufacturer's claims regarding their product. Just because something is claimed to be healthy, doesn't mean to say it's harmless.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
Quorn is a man-made ultra-processed frankenfood, as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and I'm an ex-vegetarian. OP's experience is probably more common than Quorn would have us believe. When it was introduced in USA I think there were quite a few instances IIRC.