Accu-CHEK manually filled

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I did post this earlier but holy knows where:p

I'd heard earlier on that Accuchek had temporally withdrawn the manual filled cartridges on their Insight pump for some reason? Any one the wiser at all ?

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi Vic,
I'm not on the Insight at the moment, starting soon, I've been pumping for nearly 15 yrs I'll be using the prefilled cartridges anyway.

After a long time being type 1 you do pick up things on the grapevine this is only hearsay no ones confirmed it yet so we'll have to wait and see

cmkkmk

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Having problems achieving good levels having switched from Combo to Accu-Chek Insight. All was good before the switch. Immediately after, persistant highs, not dropping with corrections! Phoned helpline and they were surprised that hospital, in absence of pre-filled cartridges, had started us on self-fill cartridges as these have been withdrawn. They said they leaked insulin! So they have gone back to the manufacturer.

Hopefully will have pre-filled ones by tomorrow so we'll see if they make a difference. Not a good experience with Insight so far!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I had a bad hyper overnight. This was after doing a tube and set change.

This involved the piston rewinding.
Before I removed the prefilled cartridge my hand set said 70.9 units left in it in my handset.

I did the set and tube change and set the cartridge as a self filled one so that the piston would wind up to the 70.9 units left in the cartridge.

However after it had located the cartridge and it was restarted... I checked to see how much insulin was left on the pump screen. It said 85 units... So a massive 15 units more and yet I had changed the tube and primed the set (twice by accident!). So the cartridge should have had a lit less insulin in it.... Not more!!!

First time I have checked insulin on handset pre change over with a cartridge that is being used and then checking the insulin stated on the actual pump afterwards..

Rather complicated to explain... However if you are using option of self filled when changing tube over half way through then do check your insulin that it states you had left pre changing the tube and then after...

I think there may be a problem with the self fill option on the pump.... I have spoken to accuchek today. They have said to ring them when I next have to do a self fill with them so that we can check insulin etc before during and after.

My levels since getting the rapid d's were much more stable.. But they had trouble getting them into the country. I am lean and muscly and told recently that plastic flexlinks are known not to be suitable for people like me...

So now I am waiting for the next time I have to do a tube change without having to do a cartridge change.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having problems achieving good levels having switched from Combo to Accu-Chek Insight. All was good before the switch. Immediately after, persistant highs, not dropping with corrections! Phoned helpline and they were surprised that hospital, in absence of pre-filled cartridges, had started us on self-fill cartridges as these have been withdrawn. They said they leaked insulin! So they have gone back to the manufacturer.

Hopefully will have pre-filled ones by tomorrow so we'll see if they make a difference. Not a good experience with Insight so far!!

The hospital should have given you a script to take to your pharmacist and GP.

There ate no problems getting prefilled pump cart cartridges.

Are you using the flexlink sets? Or, have you got the rapid d's? Don't forget that the rapid d's are primed pre insertion to body.....unlike the combo.

My levels were erratic pre rapid d's being supplied again.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes there is a problem with the self fill cartridges... Specific ones..

Please find below the lot numbers of the potentially affected manufacturing lots.1083036 10835361083193 10835371083533 10892051083534 10892061083535 1090593The lot number can be found on the blister of each cartridge.1090763 1091203 1091204 D04032014 D14112013

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I'd heard earlier on that Accuchek had temporally withdrawn the manual filled cartridges on their Insight pump for some reason? Any one the wiser at all ?

See above, there is a problem.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
See above, there is a problem.
Thanks I have been reading, I thought I was imagining it, I still have a lot of faith in Accuchek being a die hard fan :-D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks I have been reading, I thought I was imagining it, I still have a lot of faith in Accuchek being a die hard fan :-D

I used to be. After this really bad hyper and seeing the differences the pump is stating on insulin availability I actually am questioning my die hard belief in Accuchek.

I knew there was a problem years ago with their sets and nobody else here seemed to think I was right..... And sure enough the sets were withdrawn.....But something on using the self fill and the piston to me and accuracy of the insulin it is stating isn't adding up right. I hope I am wrong but I am really not convinced and may just return to my old combo pump. Trouble is if there is a fault.... Then it's more likely to be picked up by me than a new person to pumping....

Currently not convinced this pump is 100%.......

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I spoke to soemone at Addenbrookes two weeks ago, they've not been offering those yet and think they won't be doing so until the autumn at least. They're going with the prefilled cartridges as default.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The hospital should have given you a script to take to your pharmacist and GP.

There ate no problems getting prefilled pump cart cartridges.

Are you using the flexlink sets? Or, have you got the rapid d's? Don't forget that the rapid d's are primed pre insertion to body.....unlike the combo.

My levels were erratic pre rapid d's being supplied again.
can you talk me through that pre-prime Sharon - the instructions don't say that.

Dave

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a bad hyper overnight. This was after doing a tube and set change.

This involved the piston rewinding.
Before I removed the prefilled cartridge my hand set said 70.9 units left in it in my handset.

I did the set and tube change and set the cartridge as a self filled one so that the piston would wind up to the 70.9 units left in the cartridge.

However after it had located the cartridge and it was restarted... I checked to see how much insulin was left on the pump screen. It said 85 units... So a massive 15 units more and yet I had changed the tube and primed the set (twice by accident!). So the cartridge should have had a lit less insulin in it.... Not more!!!

First time I have checked insulin on handset pre change over with a cartridge that is being used and then checking the insulin stated on the actual pump afterwards..

Rather complicated to explain... However if you are using option of self filled when changing tube over half way through then do check your insulin that it states you had left pre changing the tube and then after...

I think there may be a problem with the self fill option on the pump.... I have spoken to accuchek today. They have said to ring them when I next have to do a self fill with them so that we can check insulin etc before during and after.

My levels since getting the rapid d's were much more stable.. But they had trouble getting them into the country. I am lean and muscly and told recently that plastic flexlinks are known not to be suitable for people like me...

So now I am waiting for the next time I have to do a tube change without having to do a cartridge change.

Daft question, but did you try again i.e. rewind piston rod and reinsert?

Reactions: 2 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Must admit I don't know if you can do this but when I get new insight, when I do a set change I'll probably just use a new cartridge and sod the usage my healths more important

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Must admit I don't know if you can do this but when I get new insight, when I do a set change I'll probably just use a new cartridge and sod the usage my healths more important

At the extra cost that the cartridges are and also for the manufacturers and pump users if there are queries regarding pumps then the manufacturer should be selling a pump that is not wasteful ilof insulin to the NHS or medical insurance companies.

If we ignore things that happen genuine feedback is never given to the Company that manufactures them.

As we are some if tge first users to have this pump then feedback should always be given.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have just found out that I am wrong on this...

Spoke to the lovely Accuchek careline chap...

We've been through it all, a few times doing tests with self fill and prefill.

My hyper was caused by my pressing self fill on a half filled cartridge.....which was a pre filled one but was 1/2 empty... So I thought that the pump classified this as self filled because the cartridge was no longer full......wrong....

That was what caused me to have a difference in units of insulin left and would have caused my hyper because the piston did not actually touch the plunger.....

Complicated to explain but basically it is only prefilled you use even when the cartridges are 1/2 empty....

As usual the male careline pump person was fantastic as usual.... But it was my mistake of assuming that a 1/2 empty cartridge was classified as a self filled one!! Lesson leeant well and truly!!

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
can you talk me through that pre-prime Sharon - the instructions don't say that.

Dave

My angst.. And confusion yest with hyper..re written below....

Its the combo ones that used to be primed before they went in to the body.

For people that have used the combo it is imperative that they remember to prime the new rapid d's on the Insight pump when they are in the body......