To pump or not to pump...

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
That is my question!! :)

I've been a type 1 diabetic for the past 22, nearly 23 years. I have only ever injected insulin, never used a pump. I am now looking to go on a pump for the first time in my life and have tried out the Animas Vibe and the OmniPod pumps (just with salt water).

I didn't like the Vibe, I found it very confusing to use and the tubing was driving me nuts (I am not used to having something attached to me 24/7 which is my main issue with pumps). I tried the OmniPod and even though it is a far better set up (no tubing which is a bonus!) and a separate handset which seemed much easier to use and clearer to see, I am still in two minds whether or not to go for a pump.

If I were to go for one it would be the OmniPod, no doubt about it, but the pod I tried out didn't stick too well (not the best first impression!) and last night (second day of wear) I tried to pull some of the loose sticky tape out from under the pod (where the cannula was) but pulled a bit too hard and it REALLY hurt so I had to take it off!! It bled a little once I took it out and did hurt for a couple of minutes afterwards too. Does anyone else find the OmniPod Pods don't usually stick very well or is this just a one off? I found it fine to sleep in (had it on my belly as I tend so sleep on my back or side) and it didn't bother me at all. I don't think I could sleep with it on if I had it anywhere else though (top of arms/legs/bum etc) as I turn over a lot in my sleep and I just know it would annoy me. I just don't know if I could put up with something being attached to me all day/night for the rest of my life. I know it probably sounds crazy as I inject on average 28 - 33 times per week as opposed to inserting a pod every 3 days but I just can't get my head around it! Did anyone else feel this way or am I being daft?! I know the pump has a lot of good points but I suppose I've just been so used to injecting all these years that I can't get my head around having something under my skin all the time! :eek: I could feel the cannula at times, especially as it was right on the area where my trousers sat and was catching on it. I'm really in two minds whether or not to go for it. I really thought I would try the OmniPod and love it but I can't say it's done much to convince me to give a pump a try. :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not had any problems so far with the adhesive Spicey, if anything they stick too hard as when it comes to a pod change they do take some getting off. The pump rep told me that when you first apply the pod you should be careful not to disturb it, apparently the adhesive gets stronger with the heat coming from the body so after a couple of hours it should be stuck firm.

I've worn mine on my tummy, arms and now on my legs, when its on my arms I'm careful not to lie on that side, currently got a pod on my front right leg and last night I slept on both sides and didn't disturb it or feel any discomfort, so you can get round sleeping when attached to a pump.

As for making a decision to change to a pump, that is your decision and yours only, if you don't fancy it and can only see obstacles in the way then stay on MDI, but do think carefully about it and weigh up the pro's & con's of both insulin therapy's.

Reactions: 4 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Thanks for your reply Noblehead. :) Yes, I was told that you should not disturb (or bathe) within the first 1.5 hours of applying the pod but the adhesive just didnt want to stick along the top (near to cannula) right from the start. I probably got a duff one knowing my luck! ;) I think I could cope with it on the front of my leg and stomach area as I do move around a bit in the night but don't sleep on my front. I am going to sit down over the weekend and weigh up the pro's & cons. ;)

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for your reply Noblehead. :) Yes, I was told that you should not disturb (or bathe) within the first 1.5 hours of applying the pod but the adhesive just didnt want to stick along the top (near to cannula) right from the start. I probably got a duff one knowing my luck! ;) I think I could cope with it on the front of my leg and stomach area as I do move around a bit in the night but don't sleep on my front. I am going to sit down over the weekend and weigh up the pro's & cons. ;)

Look on youtube for some good video's of people using the Omnipod pump, there's some really good demonstrations on how to apply the pods and programme the PDM, but you'll probably notice that most are using the old style Pods and PDM as some video's are a few years old now.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I have the vibe and love it- it is water proof so better control as dont need to disconnect

Reactions: 2 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started on the Animas 2020 4.5 years ago and it was a total shock. Initially I hated being connected to tubing all the time but my DSN says this is very normal and passes with time. She was right and now I feel weird without the pump attached! Any pump will be confusing compared to injecting. I felt like I was learning to be diabetic all over again! It takes time and patience to get to grips with pumping.

I have just got my second pump and stayed with Animas. I looked at the Omnipod but I felt that it was more restrictive than the Animas. With the vibe I can change the cannula when it suits me so sometimes I leave it in 4 days so that I don't have a set change on a day I have plans etc. I wasn't happy about being forced to change every 72 hours. Also if a pod fails for any reason you have the change the whole thing whereas the Vibe you can change components more easily. I have also heard the pod can hurt on insertion for some. You only have pod insertion as a choice whereas with the Vibe you have a whole host of cannula options to choose. Finally I also sleep like you do and have no issue with the Vibe Inset II cannula. I would find the pod awkward and uncomfy for sleeping but I can adjust where I put the Vibe.

I hated the pump initially and almost quit. I told myself I would give it 6 months no matter what. Now I wouldn't be without it and my control is amazing and better than I could ever have got on MDI.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you all for your replies. I'm feeling a bit down about it now I've tried them both out as I thought I would love the Omnipod but I'm really not sure now I've tried it. :( I love the fact there's no tubing but then I can see the down sides to it. :/

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It really does take a bit of adjusting to using/wearing a pump whether tubed or pod. You quickly do get used to it just being there doing its vital thing but to start with it is obviously different and it wasn't love at first sight for me but we're still together going on for 16 years later. If you go for a pump and really don't get on with it then you have the option of going back to MDI.

The improvements in control and the less severe hypos I have had since using a pump massively outweigh any negative thoughts I had about being attached to it. You learn where the best areas are to place your pump for good absorption and comfort.

Don't feel down about not loving either of the pumps you've tried straight away, it's very different from MDI and takes a bit of working at to get used to the idea. I wish you well making your choice.:)

Reactions: 4 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks everyone. I would like to try out the new Accu-Chek pump (think it's called the Insight but not sure?) but my DSN doesn't have it in yet as it's quite new apparently. She said it is waterproof like the vibe but has a wireless PDM (like the Omnipod). I know it will still have the tubing though which puts me off. I found having a bath whilst attached to the Vibe was quite annoying as I placed the Vibe on the side of the bath and had the tube trailing across and nearly pulled the pump out a couple of times just trying to wash. How does everyone else cope with pumps with tubing whilst bathing? :/

iHs

Thanks everyone. I would like to try out the new Accu-Chek pump (think it's called the Insight but not sure?) but my DSN doesn't have it in yet as it's quite new apparently. She said it is waterproof like the vibe but has a wireless PDM (like the Omnipod). I know it will still have the tubing though which puts me off. I found having a bath whilst attached to the Vibe was quite annoying as I placed the Vibe on the side of the bath and had the tube trailing across and nearly pulled the pump out a couple of times just trying to wash. How does everyone else cope with pumps with tubing whilst bathing? :/

Oh dear......you certainly dont need to have the pump tube attached to you while you have a shower or bath. You can just unclip the tube from the infusion set and relax in the bath or shower. Infact, you can be unattached to a pump for about 1-2hrs without any noticeable difference to bg levels but you will find this out when you get the pump. Your dsn should have explained stuff to you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You do just detach for baths and showers... But just leave the pump in running mode.

It is lovely to be detached for up to 90 minutes for me....

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I was told you could detach it but I wasn't sure how long for and I didn't know if you had to suspend the insulin (salt water) before you detached (I should have rang my DSN to ask but didn't want to bother her in the evening) so I just kept it attached and sat it on edge of the bath! Haha! Oh well, at least I know that it can just be taken off whilst I bathe! ;) In my defence it was the 1st time I'd ever even seen a pump, let alone used one, even if it did only have salt water in it. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I first got my pump, it felt really weird. Like you, I could feel the cannula in my tummy. I remember going to the supermarket a couple of days after having it, reaching up to a high shelf - and being convinced I was going to catch my tubing or somehow pull my cannula out. Even changing the cannula and tubing felt like a major thing, and I got quite tearful thinking about how this was going to be my life.

HOWEVER, after a few days or so I realised I felt great! I felt about ten years younger, I slept better, and I just felt more like me, more like I used to before I got diabetes. I would NEVER give my pump back now! Never! They'd have to wrestle it out if my hands! The difference it's made to my life is incredible. I very soon realised that I wasn't tied to it or imprisoned by it. What it gave me was freedom :)

I don't even notice it now. Sitting here reading about your cannula issues, I had to stop and think where my cannula was. I can't feel it or the tubing at all (the cannula is in my thigh, the pump is in a 'bra bag' hanging from my bra under my arm, and the tubing runs down my body, completely invisible, completely unfeelable).

Think back to when you first got diabetes. How awful every single thing was, even blood tests, but now it's just part of your life. If you choose to have a pump, very soon it'll be part of your life too.

P.S - I have a tubed pump. I find it better for varying my clothes and less obtrusive. Plus, as others have said, I always disconnect it for showers and that's very quick and very easy.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spicey245 you can indeed wear the new Insight in the shower, but you need somewhere to put it unless you can shower one handed :). I use the older Combo which can also be worn in the shower but as I don't have anywhere to place it I unplug it but do not turn it off. Before I put it back in I check the insulin is at the end of the tubing, 95% of the time its 1-2cm back and I need to prime it before plugging back in.

I've been IDD for long time on multiple injections until 3 yrs ago, I would not by choice ever give up pumping.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I just disconnect my pump (using my 5th D-tron very old fashioned but reliable) have my training for my Insight this Wednesday. I always have disconnected for a shower as we have a wet room. Sometimes I do have a break for a hour if I want, I've never worried about the tubing and took to pumping like a duck to water, you'll be fine whatever your choice:)

iHs

I tend to unclip the tube from the set and leave the pump with tube attached on my bedroom pillow with my clean underwear so that when I get dressed, I also remember to attach the tube clip to the set again and stuff the pump in the centre of my bra before putting on a t shirt, etc.
I have never attempted to shower with the pump still attached.

iHs

@Spicey245 you can indeed wear the new Insight in the shower, but you need somewhere to put it unless you can shower one handed :). I use the older Combo which can also be worn in the shower but as I don't have anywhere to place it I unplug it but do not turn it off. Before I put it back in I check the insulin is at the end of the tubing, 95% of the time its 1-2cm back and I need to prime it before plugging back in.

I've been IDD for long time on multiple injections until 3 yrs ago, I would not by choice ever give up pumping.

Im somewhat puzzled as to why people prime some insulin through to the end of the tube clip. Ive never done but can only assume that its cos of the way I fill my cartridges by injecting air upwards (like the old days with syringes) and not downwards.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Im somewhat puzzled as to why people prime some insulin through to the end of the tube clip. Ive never done but can only assume that its cos of the way I fill my cartridges by injecting air upwards (like the old days with syringes) and not downwards.

The combo pumps had suck back on rapid d's as mentioned by another poster here. The Insight doesn't have any suck back in the multipurpose tube at all.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for all your replies, I have texted my DSN and asked her if I can try the Accu-Chek Insight pump when they get it in. I have also done a fair bit of research on the different types of pumps and I think I'm definitely leaning more towards the pumps with tubes. Would ideally like one with a separate handset which is why I want to try the Accu-Chek. :) The Omnipod failed the very first time I tried it and it apparently does this quite a lot. I need a pump that is a lot more reliable than that and I lost all confidence with it because of this. Plus it's always there, can't unplug it at all which is also a big no no with me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for all your replies, I have texted my DSN and asked her if I can try the Accu-Chek Insight pump when they get it in. I have also done a fair bit of research on the different types of pumps and I think I'm definitely leaning more towards the pumps with tubes. Would ideally like one with a separate handset which is why I want to try the Accu-Chek. :) The Omnipod failed the very first time I tried it and it apparently does this quite a lot. I need a pump that is a lot more reliable than that and I lost all confidence with it because of this. Plus it's always there, can't unplug it at all which is also a big no no with me.

But with any pump its always there as it has to be that way, except if you disconnect for bathing and showering if a pump isn't waterproof.

Heard some really good things about the Insight pump so your making a good choice, keep us updated on your progress Spicey :)