Share Your Progress!

JChap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, for years I've had blood tests and not been given scores, only the comment "diabetes is completely uncontrolled." (Which was quite true). This year I got a blood meter and started testing, I've been doing this since December 2014 and in January I started reading this forum. When I saw the diabetic nurse last week she was pleased with me!! I also got some results- Hb1c July 2014 9.8, January 2014 8.8, February 8.3. I have been trying to cut out carbs- no bread, cake, pastry, potatoes. I've only lost about 7 pounds, but I'm much happier because I suppose I'm doing something about my diabetes instead of just worrying. (I'm extremely stubborn). Anyway, I know I haven't lost much weight (and I really need to) but I wish I had found this forum years ago! Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Always ask for a printout of your blood test results. You are entitled to them and nowadays most receptionists will do this.
Well done on the weight loss.. 7lb is still 7lb...and your reduction in hba1c

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, for years I've had blood tests and not been given scores, only the comment "diabetes is completely uncontrolled." (Which was quite true). This year I got a blood meter and started testing, I've been doing this since December 2014 and in January I started reading this forum. When I saw the diabetic nurse last week she was pleased with me!! I also got some results- Hb1c July 2014 9.8, January 2014 8.8, February 8.3. I have been trying to cut out carbs- no bread, cake, pastry, potatoes. I've only lost about 7 pounds, but I'm much happier because I suppose I'm doing something about my diabetes instead of just worrying. (I'm extremely stubborn). Anyway, I know I haven't lost much weight (and I really need to) but I wish I had found this forum years ago! Thanks everyone!
Hello Jchap! You have done the absolute best thing by coming here, you will find a lot of excellent advice, information and support from lovely people! I know I wouldn't have come as far as I have had not been here!

Beaver Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone, just had to share, So excited......!! I live in UK and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1954 3 days after my 6th birthday, until now I have injected myself every day, and, as a rough total have had over 15,000 shots...............Now I am going to have a pump ...........Can you imagine how exciting that is, seems almost unreal but have been promised that by the first week in January it will be mine....What a fab New Year present.

A double congratulations to you:
On your pump and on your 60 years!
Brilliant!

Have you read:
http://www.iddt.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/JDN15-1pg32-6.pdf

Thanks for posting.
Really encouraging.
Beaver Lee

PATRICK317

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am reading a great book called " Pumpin Insulin ". If you are a pumper, this is a great read and resource. I did not see a Pumping discussion thread. I just read about a Super-bolus to cover meals like cereal. I am having great success with it.

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just returned from the regular check up.

It is now confirmed that I don't have T2 but LADA diabetes.
I started doing crossfit. (The first few sessions almost killed me.) I didn't lose any more weight (10 kg from the beginning in October 2014), but now I have some muscles instead of just fat. >.>
My HbA1c is 6%.
My insulin dose is now decreased from 20-0-10 to 15-0-10, because after breakfast and before lunch I often got too low (around 3.8)
I still eat 100-120 grams of carbs per day. 140 on the workout days.
I became an expert in low-carb low-fat desserts. I converted three non-diabetic colleagues to baking with sesame, soya and almond flour. Tastier and healthier. :)

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi folks. Can I share my good news you. I have been 'live' on an Accuchek Insight pump for 12days now. I am overwhelmed by it all. Up in the clouds. It hasn't been plain sailing but it is lovely after 52 years of mdi. I was determined when I,at first, reluctantly said I would like a Pump. I wouldn't have got this far without my brilliant DAFNE co-ordinator. She has offered 100% support and encouragement throughout.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi folks. Can I share my good news you. I have been 'live' on an Accuchek Insight pump for 12days now. I am overwhelmed by it all. Up in the clouds. It hasn't been plain sailing but it is lovely after 52 years of mdi. I was determined when I,at first, reluctantly said I would like a Pump. I wouldn't have got this far without my brilliant DAFNE co-ordinator. She has offered 100% support and encouragement throughout.
That's great news Gemma well done! I should think that after 52 years of mdi's you deserve a rest from being a pin cushion. Keep up the good work.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a pretty good year and managed to maintain my HbA1c at 6.8 (51) as of this week (last test was 7 (53)). As a type 1 insulin dependent I am quite pleased with this result but would like it a tad lower if possible. Only thing is I think I am obsessed with my BG readings which has affected my moods and I swear a lot more.

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have lost 2.5 kilos in my first week of low-carbing! was diagnosed just over a week ago and I have to say it gave me the fright I needed to shift this weight! I haven't felt hungry at all because my snacks now consist of a few cashew nuts or some live yogurt. I've cut out rice, pasta, bread etc and I really am not missing it. Long way to go but right now I am feeling happy because I can fit into a pair of jeans I bought in the spring which I couldn't wear all summer!

Reactions: 4 people

hanham97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
The senior doctor at my surgery, called me in to discuss my COPD.This is the first time I've met him. He noticed I was a diabetic and has now prescribed me a test meter and strips as often as needed By the way I have lost 15 lbs.

phyll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies. being poor.
Not a reply as such , from Western Australia. Just got the reading back from a fasting BSL.. 6.8 fasting and 6.2 average. Phew... Have changed the meds from 1500 at night of Metformin to 500, and 30 Diamicron twice a day.
But it is a pain remembering what to do when seeing as how I am 73 and getting to that stage. !!!!
I was surprised to be told the Metformin ""actually help you lose weight" NOT in my opinion.and losing weight would have to be the hardest thing ever. Ii must admit , that the mental ''thing'' is no longer there and to do something about weight is such a big effort that it is almost not worth it. Happy in a relationship of course helps. . But whatever ! it is up to me and no one else.
might add that because my Metformin was changed from 1500 at night to 500 at night the weight increased by 3 kgs in 5 weeks. Yuk.
I wonder what would happen if I changed things around and took the Metformin in the day time and the Diamicron at night. Does anyone know, or do I have to go back to the Drs to get the usual lecture.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a reply as such , from Western Australia. Just got the reading back from a fasting BSL.. 6.8 fasting and 6.2 average. Phew... Have changed the meds from 1500 at night of Metformin to 500, and 30 Diamicron twice a day.
But it is a pain remembering what to do when seeing as how I am 73 and getting to that stage. !!!!
I was surprised to be told the Metformin ""actually help you lose weight" NOT in my opinion.and losing weight would have to be the hardest thing ever. Ii must admit , that the mental ''thing'' is no longer there and to do something about weight is such a big effort that it is almost not worth it. Happy in a relationship of course helps. . But whatever ! it is up to me and no one else.
might add that because my Metformin was changed from 1500 at night to 500 at night the weight increased by 3 kgs in 5 weeks. Yuk.
I wonder what would happen if I changed things around and took the Metformin in the day time and the Diamicron at night. Does anyone know, or do I have to go back to the Drs to get the usual lecture.

My gut reaction on the Metformin question is that timing is unlikely to make any difference to the performance of the Metformin - so may be worth trying and see if it changes your other issues. Can't comment on the Diamicron at all, I am afraid.

The reason I say that about the Met is because it is a drug thats effect builds slowly, and reduces slowly. The full benefit not being felt for 2-3 weeks of consistent use. So swapping time of day of tablet taking isn't going to have much effect. Although they do advise taking it with food, since that is gentler on the tum.

Metformin's weight loss reputation is because of two things - one being it is claimed to be an appetite suppressant, the other is that is drops the blood glucose level by a little (we are only talking about 1-2 mmol/l, so it isn't and earth shattering drop, which many people don't realise!), which in turn will reduce insulin resistance by a little. And where there is less insulin resistance, there is a chance of weigh loss and less liklihood of weight gain.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

helenstear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been diabetic type 2 for 5 years and since May I have lost nearly 3stone and I am still losing my blood sugars have come down considerably and my medication is coming down was on 26 units of insulin and now am down to 8 units of insulin and my glicazide has been cut to 1 twice a day from 2 twice a day and I am feeling amazing

Reactions: 6 people

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my son's HGBA1C is 6.40. Diagnosed type 1 diabetic this Feb.
Thank you forum members for all the support.
So proud of my son.
:)

Reactions: 10 people

oultramsbabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having been diabetic since 1987 and then becoming Insulin dependant in 2004 and blood sugars never effectively controlled until now, I am over the moon to report that for once in my life im in control of my diabetes. The answer = The low carb diet. Since starting it after the first day my Blood sugars were under 7 , never been known for me, despite being on Victosa and Insulin. I just wish someone had advised me to try it before now , all those years of trying wasted and the answer was to just cut out or lower my carbs.I m ecstatic knowing I will wake up with low Blood glucose My digestive problem have also greatly improved if anyone has any low carb recipies I would be grateful to receive them.Thanks.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Today I had my 3 monthly review at the Hospital Diabetic Clinic. The Consultant is pleased with my progress and my results. I take 40 Units of Humulin 1 Insulin, 4 x 500mg of Metformin & 1 x 5mg Dapagliflozin daily. My HBA1C is now 62 but the thanks go to taking the Dapagliflozin which I began in May this year and my HBA1C at that time was 78. I've also got my BMI down to 28.7 from 30.1 in May and my weight down to 83.8 from 88.1 in May. My next review is in 6 months time (not 3 months). The Dapagliflozin does work, despite the side effects. Just wanted to say this, so others might be confident in taking it.

Chrissy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had my Hba1c and my sugars were down to 22. Doctor has reduced my metformin Sr to one a day he said I had tight control.
Re test in 3 months.