Amazed and Amazing - Thanks (& quick question)!!!

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @LucySW

Thats what I'm trying to understand, what would be classed roughly as low carb/high protein amounts where you would start to factor in protein values? Is there an if it has over x amount of protein then you would consider treating the protein as carbs? (I know this will be individual and no set rule) Like I said, I'm not at a stage where I'm looking to do this as yet, it's more just for my own understanding and so I can be aware to check extra if I do have something that falls around this.

(Also although not what I was looking for that calculator is very interesting!)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just keep it in mind if you see your BG doing funny things :)
if you go 'very' low carb, you may see your blood reading rise 3-6hr, this may be the protein and fats..it may also be your basal out. so it's important to get the basal right first.
some may need to split bolus. for the carbs and protein
upload_2015-3-6_2-31-33.png

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering if someone could help me with this please, my head is mush and I can't work it out.

Breakfast - 7.15am I was 8.5, I had 20g of carbs and took 3 units novorapid
2 hours later at 9.20 I was 4.3, so I took 10g worth of carbs (jelly beans)
9.45 up to 5.3,
10.15 up to 6.1
10.45 up to 6.6
11.35 down to 5.8

I know it's only one days worth of figures but looking at that what would this tell you my carbs/insulin ratio is roughly?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

At the moment it looks like your morning ratio is slightly off; you are on a 1: 6.6 ratio (insulin to carbs) and that took you to 4.3 which would have probably have kept on dropping as you were at the peak strength of your insulin which had about 2 more hours to run.

So, over that morning period you took 30 grams of carbs and 3 units of insulin and were sitting at a great 5.8 for lunch.

That suggests that your morning ratio should be 1:10

Try that for a couple of days and see what happens. Keeping in mind that if you need to change it for 1 meal you won't necessarily need to change if for any other.

Your ratio could be this; 1:10 breakfast 1:10 lunch 1:15 supper.

What was your evening blood sugar and basal dose the night before?

If the bloods were within about 10% of 8.5 then the basal is correct. You can then figure out the evening bolus ratio for your evening meal so that you go to bed slightly lower than 8.5.

If your evening bloods were quite different from 8.5 you still need to get that right by increasing/decreasing the evening basal accordingly.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 4 people

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Dillinger Before bed last night I was 5.2. I didn't want to go to bed that low so had 25g carbs along with my 12units levemir. That took me to 8.5 this morning. checked blood again there before lunch at 12.40 and I'd dropped further to 4.4. Lunch consists of 42g carbs so I've only took 3 units in the hope that brings me up a bit..

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But also, your hypo remedy took you up 2.3 mmol. Is that okay, or do you want to cut it?

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On this occasion I think the plus 2.3mmol was good. It took me up to 6.6 which is pretty much where I want to be all the time (my target is between 6 &7) I just didn't think it would take over an hour to have that affect.

Reactions: 2 people