Treatment type
Insulin
What happened to the proposal to change licence renewal to 10 years? Thanks

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had to renew mine at 10 years.. it expired (oops). Well the photocard did. Is this what you mean?

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently T1 are issued with a 1,2 Or a 3 years licence. Last year there was a proposal to extend this to 10 years, it was in the news
Is this still going to happen?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
No,
what @mikeg1964 means is the renewal of the insulin user's licence (currently 1/3 yrs) increasing to 10 yrs

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Another rumour currently extant is that it refers to the time it takes DVLA to process anything:woot:

Reactions: 4 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what the proposal was. Wondering what happened to it.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another rumour currently extant is that it refers to the time it takes DVLA to process anything:woot:

Yup. 3 weeks I may have to wait for my licence or risk a £1000 fine by driving.. hmm.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as you have notified the DVLA you can still drive while they process the changes.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm not sure but think the 10 year licence was not for all diabetics on insulin, just those they deem fit to do so. It would be interesting to see how many hoops you have to jump through to get one though. I'd rather have the 3 year with no hassle.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was to be a charge in the law, Google and you will find the proposal, there is a news story.this site too. Then everything is quite

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The last meeting of the medical panel in October suggests the proposal is for 5 years .
Currently, the maximum licence duration is 3 years and DVLA wishes to explore issuing longer period licences of up to 5 years duration.
The panel said that the DVLA hadn't provided them with the data that would "provide any indication of which drivers may be suitable for extended period licences"
They asked for the data on the numbers who had licences revoked during the period of a licence, compared with those who were refused one on renewal.
Licences are an item on the agenda for their meeting on the 15th March.
https://www.gov.uk/government/group...visory-panel-on-driving-and-diabetes-mellitus

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was hoping 10yr one would have been brought in by now.. Just received another 3 year one.:(:(:(

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I read in another thread that insurance companies are not allowed to discriminate against us under disability laws. If this is true, why are DVLA allowed to treat us differently?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I read in another thread that insurance companies are not allowed to discriminate against us under disability laws. If this is true, why are DVLA allowed to treat us differently?

Yes that's true for vehicle insurance, however for policies such as life insurance they do load the premiums.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes that's true for vehicle insurance, however for policies such as life insurance they do load the premiums.
hmm. Strange. I can understand the risk level but not the difference in approach.

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
I am 68 on a 3 year licence. This expires next year. The year after that I will be 70 and will have to take a driving test. I am fine about this I have been driving for 48 years and love it. Will the DVLA reduce my licence to yearly? I also tow a large caravan and enjoy getting away once a month, I hope this will not be stopped by some beaurocrat with a pen and no brain. I am T1 for the past 4 years. I slammed into it late in life with ketonacidosis. I don't have hypos and have good control of my diabetes.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am 68 on a 3 year licence. This expires next year. The year after that I will be 70 and will have to take a driving test.
You don't have to take a driving test when you reach the age of 70 :) The licence once you reach 70 is also valid for 3 years.