Lunch Substitute

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what I can take to work with me. I work 12 hour shifts and get a 30 minute break in the morning and an hour break in the afternoon. My current load is
2 bananas
2 satsumas
Cheese slices (the ones in plastic sheet stuff), Ham and pickle sometimes lettuce and cucumber inside 4 slices of Hovis Hearty Oats Bread.
2 clubs
2 cadbury brunch bars
2 packets of crisps
2 Muller light yogurts

I know this seems like a lot but like I said, I work 12 hour shifts and often my morning break is the first chance I have had to eat since dinner the night before. Ive got to be in work for about 5.30am and cant eat that early in the morning.

Im trying to replace the clubs and brunch bars. Im also doing weight watchers so have to have a certain amount of food in a day.

Any help you guys can give me would be really appreciated.

Thanks

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's a massive amount of carbs what do all those chocolate bars and biscuits do to your bs? Do you test to see how those foods are affecting you? I would ditch the bananas the club biscuits the brunch bars the crisps and the muller yogurts replace the bread with another kind like burgen and maybe only have 2 slices, the crisps - now they are my weakness but I still only have one small bag from a multipack very occasionally.

In place of bananas - berries, replace your muller yogurt with full fat Greek yogurt and you can add your berries to this with a little sweetener if you like also sprinkle with a few flaked almonds for crunch.

Take salads made up of lettuce cucumber tomatoes a small amount of grated carrot any cooked meat or fish or REAL cheese ditch that plastic stuff it's not good for you. If you have to have bread cut it down to 2 slices of burgen.

Snacks to replace chocolate bars eggs, chunks of cheese, nuts but be careful of peanuts they can affect bs, more chunks of salad veg.

Make your own veg soup if you have a flask - avoid ready made soups they are full of carbs

Cold sausages are good for snacking.

There Re lots of recipes in the recipe section for low carb sweet stuff if you need to have a sweet treat and you can bake or have someone to do it for you.

Have you seen the info that @daisy1 posts to new members it has a lot of great info and tips in it. I have tagged her into the post so she will see you.

Welcome to the forum it's a great place with a lot of people who are very experienced in handling diabetes, it's a minefield but you'll get there:)

Reactions: 8 people

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't actually check my blood sugars as I've been told that as a T2 I don't have to (this was by the people running the newly diagnosed course in Swindon)

I'll have a look through the recipe section, thank you for that. Sausages tend to be quite high on the weight watchers point system so I don't have them too often. I also suffer with gout on occasion so I've got to be really careful with how much protein I'm eating.

Im also looking in to getting a blood pressure monitoring system for at home, as this is something I would like to get right. I also mainly drink diet or "zero" soft drinks as this doesnt have a point value on weight watchers. I cant stand the taste of milk on its own and water bores me and have to point if I put fruit squash in it, and as we have been told fruit juice is too sugary to be consumed as a regular drink.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what I can take to work with me. I work 12 hour shifts and get a 30 minute break in the morning and an hour break in the afternoon. My current load is
2 bananas
2 satsumas
Cheese slices (the ones in plastic sheet stuff), Ham and pickle sometimes lettuce and cucumber inside 4 slices of Hovis Hearty Oats Bread.
2 clubs
2 cadbury brunch bars
2 packets of crisps
2 Muller light yogurts

I know this seems like a lot but like I said, I work 12 hour shifts and often my morning break is the first chance I have had to eat since dinner the night before. Ive got to be in work for about 5.30am and cant eat that early in the morning.

Im trying to replace the clubs and brunch bars. Im also doing weight watchers so have to have a certain amount of food in a day.

Any help you guys can give me would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Do you test your bloods at all, Matt? I'd be curious to know what sort of numbers you're getting on that diet.

Have you been recently diagnosed? What were your most recent blood test results? I appreciate that's a lot of questions, but understanding your starting point would help to identify how much of a shift you really need to make to achieve the results you want.

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as of September last year, but I still feel totally unable to cope sometimes. I got put on 2 new medications yesterday which was a statin and ramipril (think thats how its spelled). I actually said to my wife that I just dont seem to be able to put a foot in the right direction. Doctors seem to be totally vindictive and horrible people about it (thats how it seems to me).

My blood pressure went from 148/91 to 152/71. I dont know the meaning to this so it could say 1 billion over 0 for all I understand of it. These doctors dont seem to understand that as newly diagnosed we havent got a clue and havent had the years of training and practice theyve got.

Im sorry about the rant, but figure if people on here feel or felt the same way, then I might be able to get help from people in the same situation as me.

Would you advise me getting a blood testing kit for at home then? If so, which one works best where the refills are easily obtainable?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Testing your blood sugar is essential for all of us so do get hold of a meter and strips. Yes, that lunch diet is not good. I agree with Lovinglife. Avoid bananas, Muller Light yoghurt is loaded with sugar and most 'snack/chocolate' bars are sugar loaded. Look at the labels for carbs. I have Green and Blacks 85% Dark chocolate which is quite low carb. Cheese is OK and so is protein.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@mattg82

Hello Matt and welcome to the forum :)

Some good advice from @lovinglife which is worth following. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. From what you say it looks like you need a compete overhaul and not just an oil change, so to speak. I'd also say you've come to the right place at the right time since apart from high blood pressure you don't mention any other illnesses, no blurred vision, no leg or foot pains. I'm hoping diet and exercise will put you right but please study carefully what the wise people on here suggest. Welcome aboard.

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny you should say that Deejay. Ive only recently started going to the gym and have enjoyed going. If I can get my food right, I feel like I'll be a lot better but at the mo feels like a massive mountain to climb!

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Hello and welcome ...

Have a read of Daisy's thread and a look around the forum ...

Someone the other day started a thread about how well they were doing on a WW or slimming world diet ..

You are right not all Type 2 people don't get the opportunity to test ...how far you go,with that one ...is really up to you ...
But for now you have lots of new information to take in and have lots to think about ...

Best wishes ..Kat

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Funny you should say that Deejay. Ive only recently started going to the gym and have enjoyed going. If I can get my food right, I feel like I'll be a lot better but at the mo feels like a massive mountain to climb!
You will get there , enjoy the gym ..

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I weighed myself today (as my weekly thing for WW) and Im 4 and three quarter pounds down from this time last week. At least thats a good thing!!

Reactions: 3 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, shift work does our constitutions no favours in my view and you have to take that into account when you're working out a new routine. You need extra relaxing time to keep cool, man. Any exercise you can get involving travel to and from work would be good because it becomes second nature.
But as others have said, your diet is a recipe for doom I'm afraid. Never mind, you can change it! ;)

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, playing with the idea of cous cous or humus with some kind of food, cucumber or carrots etc. Along with huge salads (love fresh peppers!) and something else as that wont be enough for a 12 hr shift, just grateful I only have to work days!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooked chicken, cold meats of all kinds, cheese, hardboiled eggs, Hellman's original Mayo, all stuff to replace carbs.
Home-made soup in a thermos if you haven't got a microwave. Bought soup is dodgy even though it looks full of veggies. Many of them are root veggies (bad) and are thickened with cornflour or some evil grain.
Home made soup = anything you can find at home chucked in a pan with water and a stock cube, cooked & mashed. Add salt. Or curried if you like curry.

*EDIT* You suffer with gout on occasion ... well you suffer with diabetes all the time so that takes priority for the mo. Adding meat & cheese won't hurt and in fact many of us find other problems just fade away when we get to grips with the Big D.

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So what kind of amount of carbs per veg should I be looking to limit myself to? Any amount per meal I should be looking to stay below?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

If you just make the changes suggested above, you will be amazed at how much better you feel. :)

And I would consider all veg (except potatoes and parsnips) as fine, in any portions - until you get your blood glucose meter through. At that point you can start fine tuning things. Test different foods and see how your body reacts to particular things. A lot of people can eat mashed carrot and swede instead of mashed potato, without their blood glucose going up. Or they can just eat smaller portions. Some people can swap potato out, and sweet potatoes in... your meter can tell you all of these things.

Well done for making such a good start.

I know you want to lose weight, but (and here is the voice of experience) please don't cut down so that you go hungry. A hungry diabetic is a person who falls head first into the work snack machine, or the petrol station shop. And then all your good work will be undone.

Better to take masses of food - more than you need - and then bring some home.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 3 people

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Brunnaria,

Thats really helpful, thank you. Is there any particular glucose monitoring machine you guys would recommend? I dont know which ones good and which isnt....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a pleasure. :)

There are a lot of meters out there.
The most accurate that I've heard of is the freedom freestyle lite (available at Boots the chemist, I think) but a pot of 50 strips (that's 50 tests) will set you back around £23 (last time I looked).

I'm a type 2 diabetic, so my life doesn't depend on accuracy, like it does with type 1s. So I go for the cheapest, fairly accurate-ish meter that I can find - the SD Codefree (available from Amazon, eBay and the manufacturer). 50 strips are about £7.

Really is worth every penny.